MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

It's less than a year away, but the 2014 free agent season will be upon us before we know it — and there are plenty of Green Bay Packers who will be eligible for new contracts either with the Packers or elsewhere. In all, our count is at 19 players who will be free agents [...]

[list=1]

• B.J. Raji
  • Ryan Pickett
  • Jermichael Finley
  • James Jones
  • John Kuhn
  • Morgan Burnett
  • Mike Neal
  • Andrew Quarless
  • Marshall Newhouse
  • James Starks
  • Sam Shields
  • C.J. Wilson
  • Matthew Mulligan
  • Johnny Jolly[/list]
  • LombardiAve  wrote:

greengold
    10 years ago
    I agree with pretty much everything in the article but the paragraph on Quarless concerns me:

Andrew Quarless – Coming off a serious knee injury, Mike McCarthy said Quarless is in the best shape of his career. If that’s the case, he will make the team this year and will be playing with that long-term contract in mind. I don’t see the Packers re-signing him before or during the season, but if he has a strong campaign in 2013, they may do everything they can to keep him in the fold, especially in light of Finley’s situation.

Ray Rivard wrote:

I don't know why they wouldn't try to extend him before the season, assuming he is fully healed. Unless they aren't convinced of his full recovery.

The paragraph on Shields is realistic but makes it sounds like contract talks have broken off with Rosenhaus:

Sam Shields – Though he still needs to sign his restricted free agent tender, Shields will play one more year with the Packers. If he has a solid season, his demands in free agency may be too steep for Green Bay. With the depth and talent the Packers have in the defensive backfield, Shields may be allowed to walk.

Ray Rivard wrote:

texaspackerbacker
    10 years ago
    TT is pretty good at keeping medium grade guys if they are decent enough. A lot of those guys, though, may not even make it until 2014, or may not be wanted when the time comes - Wilson, Mulligan, Kuhn, Starks. I tend to agree about Shields - he will set his price too high and be gone. The same may be true for Jones, and of course Raji and Finley. Pickett would only be kept for a vet minimum salary. Neal is a huge question mark at this point, as is Newhouse, and Jolly, who knows.

That leaves Burnett and Quarless - both of whom I HOPE Thompson can extend before they have break out seasons and get a lot more expensive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
    If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
    beast
    10 years ago

I don't think Quarless would resign right now because he's value would be super low and could go even if he has just a decent year.

As far as Burnett, we don't know if he's going to break out or not, but I wouldn't mind resigning him or Shields to long term deals IF they're not too costly. I think normally the Packers reach out to guys' agents and willing to give them a deal early if they're willing to take less... if not make them wait until their current deal is up.

My guesses

Back: Raji, Burnett, Neal, Quarless, Shields

Depends: Pickett, Finley, Jones, Kuhn, Wilson

Gone: Newhouse, Starks, Mulligan, Jolly

I don't think Ted Thompson will let the "Back" guys get away unless someone clearly over pays.

I think they want Finley, Pickett and Jones back, but they also wouldn't want to over pay for them. Though I think their value in the Packers eyes are higher than the fans eyes.

Kuhn depends on who else they have who might be able to play that role. I've been hoping their cross train TE Taylor (and/or Williams) at TE and FB but they haven't.

Wilson doesn't really make a splash so he's mostly gone on noticed but he's very consistent and been the 3rd best at playing two gap following only Pickett and Raji which is why he started almost half of the games last year.

I think Newhouse feels disrespected and will want to leave just like the others who have felt disrespected over the years (Jennings, Jenkins, Colledge, Spitz, Wells, etc...)

I think Starks is in the dog house because of keep getting injured and will need to be CLEARLY one of the top two RBs (or maybe even the top RB) to stay around this year.

I don't think Mulligan or Jolly make the roster this year. Mulligan is an undersized OL and I don't think most players can miss that much time and then come back and be the same in the first year. I think if he has a come back it will be his second year back at earliest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders, Seahawks or Chiefs (Former Packers GMs, that don't mind taking a risk on a needed position) give him a chance if he doesn't make it at first with the Packers.

UserPostedImage
    greengold
    10 years ago

Gone: Newhouse, Starks, Mulligan, Jolly

Originally Posted by: beast 

Kind of a wait and see on these 4, like you said no guarantee they all make the team this year. But if Newhouse wins the starting RT job and plays every snap like he did last year I think he has a shot to come back. The other 3, if they make the team... anything can happen. None of them would be very expensive to keep.

nerdmann
    10 years ago
    B.J. Raji -Will be signed during the season.

Ryan Pickett -They'll let him go due to age.

Jermichael Finley -Needs to show he deserves a new contract.

James Jones -Needs to decide if he wants to be #2 behind Cobb

John Kuhn -Last year with the team, if he makes it.

Morgan Burnett -Will get a deal.

Mike Neal -Will get an incentive-laden contract based on games played.

Andrew Quarless -If Finley shits himself, Quarless has a huge opportunity to be The Guy. I like his odds.

Marshall Newhouse -He'll have to sign a journeyman contract.

James Starks -Needs to make the team first. Also needs to run lower, behind his pads and stay healthy.

Sam Shields -If he wants to play for the Pack, he's gonna have to sign a contract. Love to have him, but we do have depth at his position.

C.J. Wilson -Will have to settle for a journeyman contract.

Matthew Mulligan -Replaceable.

Johnny Jolly -Needs to make the team first. If he lights it up, he'll get a two year deal. He's too old for a long term contract.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.