wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
I am looking at a company that will host my agency management program. The guy gave me a ton of information so I asked him about their security.

He sent me a two page spec sheet with a ton of data. Naturally 99% or more of the info goes right over my head. So I decided to ask him a simple question. What makes this website more secure than NASA or other government computers that seemed to get hacked from time to time. Or banks for that matter. They seem to have their security breached every week.

So he got all indignant and huffy and told me how wonderfully secure their site is (both physically and via the net) and how vulnerable my office is. "I would need the 3th Army camped outside my office to be as secure as they are."

It made me laugh a little it. I told him I was not questioning his security measures. I said that one of my clients is a CPA and she keeps her files backup to Carbonite's website and some computer dude told me how wonderful they are and that their site is impossible to be hacked. I am a little suspect when I hear something like that.

According to Wiki Carbonite uses 128 bit blowfish encryption. This other company says their encryption is 2048 bit. Now I am rather computer dumb. I can not figure out why anyone would send their encryption through a fish or how they could get it reconfigured when it passes out the other end [grin1] but 2048 sounds better than 128. If 128 is nearly unhackable it also sounds extremely excessive as well.

Just looking for some input from those who know what the heck they are talking about.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
What program? What language is it written in?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

What program? What language is it written in?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I have no idea. Does that make a difference?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I have no idea. Does that make a difference?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Language, not really. But is this a program you are having developed or you're purchasing?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

Language, not really. But is this a program you are having developed or you're purchasing?

If we go this route we will have our agency data stored online at their website. They already have it set up for other insurance agencies.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

If we go this route we will have our agency data stored online at their website. They already have it set up for other insurance agencies.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Wait, what? You said you were gonna need your program hosted. Are you not talking about a software program, such as a web application or desktop application? Also, I gave you two options and you said if we go this route ... which route lol
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
10 years ago

Wait, what? You said you were gonna need your program hosted. Are you not talking about a software program, such as a web application or desktop application? Also, I gave you two options and you said if we go this route ... which route lol

well maybe I don't speak so good computer.

We have a management system in house at this time. We have had it for about 10 years. My brother is thinking we need to upgrade. While looking around I found a company that will give us access to their management system at their website. The nice thing about that is we are growing into 3 locations so all of us can tap in without using a file server and going to something like log-me-in. We can be sitting at a client's kitchen table or int heir board room and log into their file for additional data.

It is not a done deal. We may still opt to have the files here on site. There is something to be said for owning your management system instead of "renting" so to speak. If that happens none of this other stuff matters.

If we go with their program on their site I thought the proper term is that they are hosting it. Sorry for using the wrong vernacular.

So I guess you can think about it like a more sophisticated carbonite website that is tailored to service insurance agencies needs.

To come back to your question we are not having them develop it. They already did that. As far as purchasing it, in a way. But we can't take it anywhere like you can take your message board. If we don't like them we have to pack up our electronic files and find some place else to go.

The things they will supply are things like forms. All of the Acord application forms. Loss notice forms. Certificates of insurance and binders. There is a section for accounting. another for correspondence in written letters and emails. An area for us to put the list of loss payee and additional insureds names and addresses which will pull through to apps and other forms. Our companies will be able to download the policy information from their sites to ours. A calendar of course.

Did I make it a little more clear?

So any way I was just asking why one company can have a 128 bit encryption and that is said to be great ans someone else has 2048 bit.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
128 should suffice just fine.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
10 years ago
I'd ask him one question: Do people work for your company?

If his answer is yes, his security system is flawed. People will always be the weak link in computer security.
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (10h) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (10h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (16h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
    beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
    beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
    wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
    Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
    Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.