Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://i.packers.com/images/action/080925kampman215.jpg[/img_r]Possessing the second-best record in the NFL over the past 23 regular-season games, the Packers have not been forced to respond to a loss very often in recent memory, but the '08 team will get a chance to do just that at Tampa Bay this Sunday.

Including wins in the final four games of 2006, Head Coach Mike McCarthy's first season at the helm, and the 13-3 mark in '07, the Packers' 19-4 record since Dec. 10, 2006, is tops in the NFC and trails only the New England Patriots' 21-2 mark.

During that 23-game span the Packers have not lost back-to-back games either, a mark that is also second in the league to only New England's 26-game string.

That streak will be on the line as the Packers head down to Tampa Bay coming off their first loss of the season, a 27-16 defeat to the Dallas Cowboys. Green Bay allowed 217 yards on the ground and was outgained 453 to 334 by the Cowboys in total yardage.

"You need to respond," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "It's going to be a good test for our team. It's a young team. We faced a little bit of adversity against Dallas. We're still first in the division, but we're playing a big game against a good team that has won two in a row."

The Packers responded in a big way following their losses in '07, outscoring opponents 89-34 in the three games after defeats.

Green Bay does have the youngest team in the NFL (tied with Kansas City) for the third season in a row with an average age of 25.57 years. One would think the team's youth might provide for even more of a challenge as they look to bounce back from a defeat, but defensive end Aaron Kampman said that statistic can be deceiving.

"We're not young in experience," Kampman said. "We're a young age-wise team, but we've got a lot of guys that have played a lot of football. The reality is we're a team that's pretty resilient and hopefully we'll be able to see that on Sunday."

The Packers will be forced to show that resiliency even more because of several injuries in their defensive backfield. They will be without the services of one of their most experienced players on the roster as 11th-year cornerback Al Harris will be sidelined for the first time in his NFL career with a spleen injury. Second-year cornerback Tramon Williams will get the starting nod in Harris' place.

Starting strong safety Atari Bigby missed the Dallas game because of a hamstring injury and his status is unknown for Sunday, and starting free safety Nick Collins left the game early with a back bruise and has been limited thus far in practice this week. Aaron Rouse, who started for Bigby against Dallas, has a knee injury of his own, but did return to full participation on Thursday.

"I remember being in a situation where Vonnie Holliday went down, and it was a tremendous opportunity for me to come up and prove that I was capable of not having any letoffs," Kampman said. "I know that is the type of attitude our guys will take back there, and hopefully we'll be able to not experience any dropoff. I don't think we will."

Two of the areas that did have a dropoff in the Dallas game besides the struggles against the run were the offense's inefficiency on third down and in the red zone, strengths of the team during the two victories to open the season.

Against Minnesota and Detroit, the Packers converted on third down at a 50 percent clip (13-of-26), and on their seven red-zone possessions, came away with 38 points on five touchdowns and a field goal.

Last Sunday night, Green Bay got into the red-zone just three times, and when they did, only scored one touchdown to go along with two field goals.

"Third-down conversions were low," Rodgers said. "We need to get on the same page a little better on offense, especially in the pass game and be able to convert third downs and keep drives alive.

"Then in the red zone, we've got to finish those drives off with touchdowns because you've got to keep the defense off the field."

Keeping the defense off of the field will be more of a priority in a game where temperatures are expected to be in the upper-80s.

Despite all of the injuries on the defensive side of the ball, the Packers' ability to sustain longer drives should be aided by some players returning from injuries this week.

Center Scott Wells, who has yet to play this year because of a back injury, will return to the starting lineup, with Jason Spitz moving back to right guard. Wide receiver Ruvell Martin, who was sidelined the last two games with a finger injury, is also expected to be back on the field against the Buccaneers, a return that becomes more crucial with wide receiver James Jones' status unknown due to a knee injury.

Combine that with starting running back Ryan Grant's absence from the injury report for the first time this season, and the Packers hope to get into more manageable down-and-distances against Tampa Bay.

Grant's improving hamstring may also enable the Packers to commit to the run more as he has yet to post more than 15 carries in a game this season.

"The most important thing about running the football once again is attempts, in my view," McCarthy said following the loss on Sunday. "You have to get the attempts up. We really didn't do a very good job of sustaining drives.

"You can say whatever you want, the run game, the passing game. But the times we were able to commit to the runs throughout the series that was longer than three plays, I think it was productive. We need to do a better job of that."

Whether the Packers show improvement from last week will be evident come Sunday, but McCarthy noted that the coaching staff is looking for that in their preparation for the game as well.

"I think you measure your football team every time you compete," McCarthy said. "I measure it every time we go to practice. That's part of demanding from your football team that it's done right.

"We're here for a reason. We're here to win, and along the way we need to improve, and we did not improve from Week 2 to Week 3. We need to take the information that was learned on the film, and we're going to correct it as a football team, and we'll apply it to our work week for Tampa."

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
I think you should go back and change every Mike McCarthy to Mike McCarthy and every Aaron Rodgers to Aaron Rodgers so we can see the heads. I like the heads.

Good to see Grant's expected to be full strength and R Martin's coming back. Aaron Rodgers likes R Martin.

And I like what Kampy said about opportunity.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
gbpfan
15 years ago
i'm not saying they wont make bone headed mistakes but i do think they can win,a-rod will have opportunity to run with grant and jackson and of course the w.r so passing should be good and d-line well tramon i hope you are ready
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.