Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:10:27 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Received: 123
Mike Wilkening said:
One intriguing under-the-radar training camp competition is in Green Bay, where Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman will vie for the Packers' backup quarterback role. In a story published Friday in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo indicated Harrell has made strides since coming to Green Bay in 2010. "I think Graham can go in and win...
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:55:34 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 4,910
Applause Received: 1,154
Almost seems like they want Coleman to step up and take it.
Offline DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:11:37 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 3,011
Applause Received: 796
Coleman. Please.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:29:26 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
Fair and Balanced, that's the way to do it.

To just throw away Harrell because of the potential quality of Coleman would be wasteful. First of all, if anything did ever happen to Aaron Rodgers, heaven forbid, then we would need a number two in addition to a starter. Beyond that, though, there is an investment of time and coaching skill in Harrell. He has value. At some point, maybe not before the coming season, he will be worth at least a mid-round pick. Given that Aaron Rodgers should be the starter for at least 7 or 8 more years if he stays healthy, the Packers will be in the same situation with Coleman at some point. It's a dilemma, but it's still a good thing.

My solution for this season is to keep all three - one way or another. If we can't stash somebody on IR, then it probably would be worthwhile to invest a spot on the 53 man roster.

Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:47:40 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,408
Hopefully the 2s and 3s on the line aren't so god awful this year in the preseason games and we can actually see what the back up QBs can do. I really wanted to see something out of Harrell last year but in every game I couldn't help but think he wasn't getting a fair shot because of how shitty the blocking was.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:24:09 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266
Looking like a great QB doesn't mean he will be a great QB.
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:04:38 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2015

United States
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
At some point, maybe not before the coming season, he will be worth at least a mid-round pick. Given that Aaron Rodgers should be the starter for at least 7 or 8 more years if he stays healthy, the Packers will be in the same situation with Coleman at some point. It's a dilemma, but it's still a good thing.

Harrell will never be traded for a draft pick. If anyone even offered a 7th for him, the Packers should take it, but even that's not going to happen. I have no idea why you think that's going to happen. The Packers couldn't even trade Flynn, who had much more value than Harrell has, or is likely to ever have. He's just not very good.

Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:57:30 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 4,910
Applause Received: 1,154
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Harrell will never be traded for a draft pick. If anyone even offered a 7th for him, the Packers should take it, but even that's not going to happen. I have no idea why you think that's going to happen. The Packers couldn't even trade Flynn, who had much more value than Harrell has, or is likely to ever have. He's just not very good.

Here's the thing. Harrell isn't going anywhere. We'll never get anything for him in a trade. He's a Doug Pederson/Zeke Bratkowski type of dude. Career backup. He knows the offense, knows the team, knows what he has to do. Like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens, that's what you get. Not gotta be an all pro. But if disaster strikes, your team still has a shot.

Coleman is more the type of guy who's gonna want a shot to be The Man at some point. You draft and develop him. Maybe you showcase him in the preseason and make a trade. Like Matt Hasselbeck. We COULD have traded Flynn, but they wanted to keep him as a backup for one more year, because Harrell wasn't ready.

Two different types of guys.
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:36:21 PM(UTC)

United States
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Here's the thing. Harrell isn't going anywhere. We'll never get anything for him in a trade. He's a Doug Pederson/Zeke Bratkowski type of dude. Career backup. He knows the offense, knows the team, knows what he has to do. Like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens, that's what you get. Not gotta be an all pro. But if disaster strikes, your team still has a shot.

Coleman is more the type of guy who's gonna want a shot to be The Man at some point. You draft and develop him. Maybe you showcase him in the preseason and make a trade. Like Matt Hasselbeck. We COULD have traded Flynn, but they wanted to keep him as a backup for one more year, because Harrell wasn't ready.

Two different types of guys.

Exactly. My main point is no one is trading more than a bag of nachos for Harrell.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:04:04 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Exactly. My main point is no one is trading more than a bag of nachos for Harrell.

Don't bet on it. Harrell ain't Aaron Rodgers; He ain't a lot of other things also; Potential-wise, he probably ain't even B.J. Coleman. I don't see that validity, however, of claiming he is all that bad. IMO, he is better than at least 25% of the QBs who have started NFL games in the last few years. He's also as good or better than a lot of teams' backups.

Rss Feed