Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I think the defense needs to shake things up. I'd fire Bob Sanders right now and promote Winston Moss to the defensive coordinator duties. I hope I'm wrong about the defense and it's just the injuries, but I have a bad feeling.

"porky88" wrote:

I didn't much care for Bob Sanders (aka Hank Hill) and I'd be all for your suggestion. I think Winston Moss would do a fantastic job.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

I think the defense needs to shake things up. I'd fire Bob Sanders right now and promote Winston Moss to the defensive coordinator duties. I hope I'm wrong about the defense and it's just the injuries, but I have a bad feeling.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I didn't much care for Bob Sanders (aka Hank Hill) and I'd be all for your suggestion. I think Winston Moss would do a fantastic job.

"porky88" wrote:

See my thing is if you're going to make change at DC, then allow the DC to do things his way.

Firing Sanders right now, I think you'd force Moss (or whoever else is the new DC) into a position where they'd have to essentially the same scheme, stick to the same plays that are being run by Sanders. I don't take it that Sanders has a lot of blitz packages, so it isn't as if the new DC would have a deep bag of tricks to dig in to.

If Mike McCarthy wants to replace Bob Sanders, he should do it very early in the off-season, so that his players can start training in a new scheme with loads of time to learn it. That way, you give the DC reigns to do what the DC thinks is best, his hands aren't tied in any major sort of way.

PS - I wonder if Mike McCarthy would even consider Kurt Schott as DC if he fired Sanders..... kinda scary.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
IronMan
15 years ago

what we are doing now isn't working

"minnypacker" wrote:

all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

I think we need to start mixing in some more 3-4 looks with a blitzing LB to get some pressure on the QB.

Monty and Kampy on the ends and Pickett at Nose.

Blitz Poppinga and Barnett regularly and let Chillar and Hawk play pass protection.

It might not work, but what we are doing now isn't working either.

"minnypacker" wrote:

Monty struggles in a 4 - 3 scheme, and you want to put him in at DE in a 3-4?

Personally, I'd cut Pettway, sign Malone of practice squad and try Colin Cole at RE on run downs. Then hope two of Monty/Hunter/KGB/Thompson can get some rush from the RE/DT positions on passing downs.

Hawk looked to be affected be his injury, and I'm wondering if Barnett is still having problems with the shoulder he injured a couple of weeks ago. He's uncharacteristically tentative, and missing tackles he was making last year. Poppinga.... just seems to have disappeared.

Also, I can't wait to have Bigby back. He was sorely missed against a run team like the Falcons IMO.
digsthepack
15 years ago
The call on Pat Lee was pure fiction. But what was more bothersome was the blatant push-off White put on Blackmon at the 5 yard line, RIGHT IN FRONT OF A REF....and no call...for a TD.

As far as Sanders goes, he has shown me that he is not capable of re-scheming this defense for any given team he faces, or any injury situation he has to deal with. Sadly, I little like MS in that regard...he does what he does without consideration of who is across the line from his unit. He is decent as long as all the talent is there, but when shorthanded as he currently is, does not appear capable of thinking outside the box to get pressure.

While I realize that losing Jenkins was a huge loss, the whole fron seven, and particularly the glaringly absent Nick Barnett, seems completely befuddled....not assignment sure; whiffing on tackle after tackle; consistently having a single RB push a pile of 3 - 5 Packers for lots of extra yardage. Basically, very bad football.

Moss is there for a reason, and as I said before the season started, if Bob Sanders cannot or will not get the job done, that Moss should be the guy to make things happen. Hell, even with full complement of players, our defense has been terribly underwhelming thus far.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
brnt247
15 years ago
Bigby is the key to us stopping the run in my opinion.
blank
porky88
15 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

See my thing is if you're going to make change at DC, then allow the DC to do things his way.

Firing Sanders right now, I think you'd force Moss (or whoever else is the new DC) into a position where they'd have to essentially the same scheme, stick to the same plays that are being run by Sanders. I don't take it that Sanders has a lot of blitz packages, so it isn't as if the new DC would have a deep bag of tricks to dig in to.

If Mike McCarthy wants to replace Bob Sanders, he should do it very early in the off-season, so that his players can start training in a new scheme with loads of time to learn it. That way, you give the DC reigns to do what the DC thinks is best, his hands aren't tied in any major sort of way.

PS - I wonder if Mike McCarthy would even consider Kurt Schott as DC if he fired Sanders..... kinda scary.

"porky88" wrote:

Winston Moss is the assistant head coach right now, so he would be the ideal candidate at least on paper.

The reason why I think you make a move now is, I don't believe anything is wrong with the scheme. I love the scheme actually. I think it's the play calling. The lack of aggression by Sanders. Moss, would have more in my opinion. He'd keep the scheme intact, but his game plan would be more aggressive. It's kind of the nature of a linebacker coach.

Sanders has an old school philosophy of pressure with the front four, but it's not working and he's not backing off of his game plan either. How many times did Roddy White line up on Blackmon, Lee, and Williams? A lot, but know adjustments were made for Woodson to follow White like he did TO.

GB needs to use Fritz Shurmur 101. Its if you cant pressure with four then bring five. If you cant pressure with five then bring six. If you cant pressure with six then bring seven. If thats not working then you drop eight. Most of the time, you get pressure.

Bob Sanders 101 is if you cant pressure with four then your not going to pressure at all.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
I'm going to get on the phone with Mike McCarthy right away and tell him he's now officially forbidden from saying "we need to work on fundamentals." You should have done that in the offseason. It's regular season now. That excuse doesn't cut it.

I want some wins. No more excuses.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

I'm going to get on the phone with Mike McCarthy right away and tell him he's now officially forbidden from saying "we need to work on fundamentals." You should have done that in the offseason. It's regular season now. That excuse doesn't cut it.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

To be fair zombie, the Packers had a rough pre-season schedule. They had 4 games in 18 days, and I'm sure the Favre fiasco didn't help them either.

I just think with the way things were structured, IE needing enough time for rest and recovery after games, it was difficult to get the fundamentals down pat. I think the close-ness of everything during our TC also partially explains the injuries that have hurt the Pack this season.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
23m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.