Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 8:32:41 PM(UTC)
WTMJ said:
The term "shutdown corner" is sometimes thrown around too often, and perhaps should only be applied to those who truly put big fat goose eggs in the receivers' stat lines.

But that title is one Green Bay Packers Tramon Williams may be deserving for his performance in the last three of four consecutive victories.

"As a matter of fact, I didn't give up any (catches) the last three games," said Williams with pride on "Packers Live," which airs on TODAY'S TMJ4 and NBC26.
Laser Gunns  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 9:57:21 PM(UTC)
for realz?
wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:46:26 AM(UTC)
RajiRoar said: Go to Quoted Post
for realz?

its on the internet it must be real.
steveishere  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:10:54 AM(UTC)
I think shutdown corner more refers to guys who can shut down good players. Tramon has been much better this year than the past 2 but he's also had a significant amount of his old responsibilities taken away from him. I've been way more impressed with Shields/House this year than Tramon but it has been nice that he's playing better this year.
DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:20:52 AM(UTC)
Prefer Shields in the slot against the burners, but on the edge Tramon has rounded back into form. He is a great corner.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:36:27 AM(UTC)
Tramon has been worthy of the title "shutdown corner" for a long time. This year, Shields pretty much qualifies also. I don't think Shields should cover the slot receiver, though. Speed is more of a requirement on the outside. Hayward, if healthy, should cover the slot.
TheKanataThrilla  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:57:36 AM(UTC)
We managed no pics against noodle arm so no shutdown corner title for you!!!
Rockmolder  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:58:44 AM(UTC)
I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.
dhazer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:53:59 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.

What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:15:25 PM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

Same old Dhazer, I see. Love your hostility. [laughing]

I have to be completely honest, I haven't seen every game, so I thought he was on Torrey Smith and Josh Gordon, as well, but going back and rewatchting a couple of plays in those games... It's all Shields. He's the real unsung hero here. At least, from what I could see from just a couple of plays and my less-than-stellar memory.

If anything, Williams is playing Woodson's old role, playing in the slot, blitzing, playing robber. I way way off on that one.
dhazer  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:06:55 PM(UTC)
Where have you been we missed you

User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:43:55 PM(UTC)
Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:42:10 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.

Tramon had that nasty nerve damage in his arm during his peak physical years.

He's coming back from that now, but he's also older.
Mucky Tundra  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:08:32 PM(UTC)
Tramon Williams 2013 Penalties

Didn't know he had that many penalties so far this season. Even if one or two have been bogus, a player that has a reputation of penalties doesn't help in crunch time with shaky refs.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:14:06 PM(UTC)
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.
Mucky Tundra  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:19:26 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed?

UserPostedImage
We don't!

Next May
With the 32nd pick in the 4th round of the 2014 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
dhazer  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:45:18 AM(UTC)
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.

We say good bye to Williams, I don't think he is worth the 9.5 million he would get paid next year.

steveishere  
#18 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 8:59:31 AM(UTC)

Keep in mind that Jarrett Bush occupying a roster spot is keeping Davon House on the field on defense. House got pulled from the 2nd half of a game because he was getting gassed by being the ST Gunner.
Tezzy  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 9:14:41 AM(UTC)
A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.
dhazer  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 10:15:15 AM(UTC)
Tezzy said: Go to Quoted Post
A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.

The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr
Rss Feed