Discussion Board
wpr

The term "shutdown corner" is sometimes thrown around too often, and perhaps should only be applied to those who truly put big fat goose eggs in the receivers' stat lines.

But that title is one Green Bay Packers Tramon Williams may be deserving for his performance in the last three of four consecutive victories.

"As a matter of fact, I didn't give up any (catches) the last three games," said Williams with pride on "Packers Live," which airs on TODAY'S TMJ4 and NBC26.

O God, Thy Sea Is So Great And My Boat Is So Small
Laser Gunns
for realz?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr
Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

for realz?

its on the internet it must be real.
O God, Thy Sea Is So Great And My Boat Is So Small
steveishere
I think shutdown corner more refers to guys who can shut down good players. Tramon has been much better this year than the past 2 but he's also had a significant amount of his old responsibilities taken away from him. I've been way more impressed with Shields/House this year than Tramon but it has been nice that he's playing better this year.
DarkaneRules
Prefer Shields in the slot against the burners, but on the edge Tramon has rounded back into form. He is a great corner.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
texaspackerbacker
Tramon has been worthy of the title "shutdown corner" for a long time. This year, Shields pretty much qualifies also. I don't think Shields should cover the slot receiver, though. Speed is more of a requirement on the outside. Hayward, if healthy, should cover the slot.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
TheKanataThrilla
We managed no pics against noodle arm so no shutdown corner title for you!!!
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Rockmolder
I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.
dhazer
Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I like how he came in as an UDFA, gets into a role as second CB with a lot of freedom to jump passes and roam a bit, then has a bit of a down year when Woodson degresses and leaves and now comes back and shuts down legitimate nr. 1 guys.

It's selfless in a way that this kind of play is a whole lot less interesting for your stat sheet.

What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

UserPostedImage
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂
Rockmolder
Originally Posted by: dhazer 

What number 1 ghys are you referring to? Shields shutdown AJ Green . And last week he whiffed on 2 easy tackles. So I ask again who did he shutdown?

Same old Dhazer, I see. Love your hostility. 😆

I have to be completely honest, I haven't seen every game, so I thought he was on Torrey Smith and Josh Gordon, as well, but going back and rewatchting a couple of plays in those games... It's all Shields. He's the real unsung hero here. At least, from what I could see from just a couple of plays and my less-than-stellar memory.

If anything, Williams is playing Woodson's old role, playing in the slot, blitzing, playing robber. I way way off on that one.
dhazer
Where have you been we missed you

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Shields may very well have passed up Tramon, but it ain't because Tramon got worse. It's because Shields got better. Add Hayward to that, and House and Hyde too ........ as they say, you can never have too many good corners.

Tramon had that nasty nerve damage in his arm during his peak physical years.

He's coming back from that now, but he's also older.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
Tramon Williams 2013 Penalties 

Didn't know he had that many penalties so far this season. Even if one or two have been bogus, a player that has a reputation of penalties doesn't help in crunch time with shaky refs.
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DakotaT
How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed?

UserPostedImage
We don't!

Next May
With the 32nd pick in the 4th round of the 2014 draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
dhazer

How in the hell are we going to keep these 5 corners signed? And when does Jarrett Bush quit occupying a roster spot? Buckeye doesn't get to answer.

We say good bye to Williams, I don't think he is worth the 9.5 million he would get paid next year.

UserPostedImage
steveishere

Keep in mind that Jarrett Bush occupying a roster spot is keeping Davon House on the field on defense. House got pulled from the 2nd half of a game because he was getting gassed by being the ST Gunner.
Tezzy
A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dhazer
Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

A non-statsheet stat that I think says a lot about how shutdown a corner is, has to do with how many snaps of coverage per reception given up. According to PFF, here are the top five in that category.

Verner - 21.1
Revis - 18.8
Talib - 17.7
Tramon - 17.1
Marcus Cooper - 16.9

Now when Tramon does give up a reception, it does not look pretty in terms of YAC compared to those other four. But there is a reason the five of them have been each targeted 33 or less times. Shutdown.... Corner.

The only flaw in that how many of these guys play against the #1 wr on the other team. Tramon gets the #2 or #3 wr
UserPostedImage