Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:38:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,869
Applause Received: 2,047

What would everyone remember you for?

What would you want everyone to remember you for?
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:27:52 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a ton of responses to this in the 9 hours since the question was posted.

I really haven't done anything all that memorable in my 66 years. That might seem sad, but at least, I have had fun along the way. I doubt I will be remembered much beyond my own family. With them, I would hope to be remembered as loving, loyal, competent, and intelligent - much the same as we remember the best dogs we have had. I also want to be remembered by my family for "family values" - MY values as I have taught by example to my family, and thankfully, they seem to have soaked them up pretty well. My values, of course, as anybody who follows this forum knows, are a little bit different from society's in general - to which I say, "f--- society" - which also says how much I care about what the rest of the world thinks of my way of thinking and doing. Oh, I will occasionally express my point of view for purpose of convincing others, but as for basically the ultimate result of that - it's kinda like playing sports and a lot of other things in life - all about the fun you have doing it - unless you are fortunate enough to get paid for having that fun, of course.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:33:23 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

I have no clue.
I don't think anyone but my wife
would miss me.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:05:30 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

First question... no idea what others may remember me for.

2nd.. Never been one much for worrying about what others think of me; so I guess I have never really thought about that question. Probably something like this.. headstrong, independent to a fault, determined, loyal, family oriented and and at times intimidating when need be. But most of all.. never took anything for granted.

And Cheesey.. your absence here is noted often. Can't speak for the world outside of here... but here I can validate. I am sure that holds true outside as well.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:11:01 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

What would people remember me for?

Can't answer that. Been thinking about it for a while, but when I think about the fact that I'm 55 and what I've got is a a bunch of useless degrees and a few even more useless academic scribbles.

Fact is, the most valuable thing I've done is probably my 5000-10000 postings on this and other 'net boards. And we all know how high the noise/signal ratio is in those!

As for what I'd want to be remembered for...?

1. Being a man who strove to follow the Great Commandment in all things.
2. Someone who gave his dogs the love they deserved.
3. A man of ideas and ideals, who lived what he believed, who convinced some others to believe that his ideas were worthy of believing and his actions worthy of emulation.

#1? Who knows.
#2? I've been ok at.
#3? Well, I'm pretty much 0-fer on that.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline 4PackGirl  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:09:41 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 151
Applause Received: 123

1. most important to me would be that my kids remember me as a good mom.
2. other than that, I really don't give a shit.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 11/4/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 11/8/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 3:48:28 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

Shawn....just saw what you wrote. Thank you.
I guess i don't see what other people might see in me. It warms my heart to know that maybe my being in this world DID mean something.
I have no children, and sometimes i feel as if, when i die, there won't be anything of me left behind for people to remember.
I hope that in my time here, that maybe i touched some lives, made someone laugh on a day when they really needed it, and maybe uplifted someone in their time of need.

I know that it has happened to me many times here. When i had my heart surgery, the people here said and did things for me that helped me through a hard time.

I need that now, too, as i am going through some real life hell. It has alot to do with my getting hit by the car May 13th. I can't get into details on the computer, but let's just say I'm drowning, and i just got a big pail of water dumped on top of me.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2013 3:04:31 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 89

Unfortunately I have had these thoughts for real and it wasn't going to be tomorrow. I was in a plane that blew an engine at 30,000 feet in the air. The weird thing was I was not scared for me. I was more scared for my kids and my wife and how they would move on.

Answering the question I know that people will remember as the person who was "quiet until you got to know him".

My kids mean the world to me so I think that is how I would want to be remembered as a good dad who loved his children.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline IronMan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:58:29 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 30
Applause Received: 56

When I die, this is what I want on my head stone:

2010 Packers Home March Madness Champion
Offline sschind  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:29:35 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'm surprised you haven't gotten a ton of responses to this in the 9 hours since the question was posted.

I really haven't done anything all that memorable in my 66 years. That might seem sad, but at least, I have had fun along the way. I doubt I will be remembered much beyond my own family. With them, I would hope to be remembered as loving, loyal, competent, and intelligent - much the same as we remember the best dogs we have had. I also want to be remembered by my family for "family values" - MY values as I have taught by example to my family, and thankfully, they seem to have soaked them up pretty well. My values, of course, as anybody who follows this forum knows, are a little bit different from society's in general - to which I say, "f--- society" - which also says how much I care about what the rest of the world thinks of my way of thinking and doing. Oh, I will occasionally express my point of view for purpose of convincing others, but as for basically the ultimate result of that - it's kinda like playing sports and a lot of other things in life - all about the fun you have doing it - unless you are fortunate enough to get paid for having that fun, of course.

So your family would remember you much differently than we would? I'm joking, I'm joking, I couldn't resist. We disagree on a lot of things but underneath we are all Packers fans so we can joke a little with each other...right?

You've got almost 20 years on me but I suppose I could say pretty much what you did. Nothing special but no regrets. I've lived my life pretty much the same way my father has, quiet and unassuming. Work hard and love the ones around you. Take care of your own, help out those you can when you can. Nothing means as much to me as my family does (I'm not married and I have no kids but I have brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews) and I think they know that and I think that is what I would be remembered for and to be honest I can't think of much better things to be remembered for.

It's only sad if YOU think it is sad. Some people want to be remembered for big things or feel the need to be remembered by many. I don't need that and apparently you don't either so no it is not sad at all.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 11/14/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:57:51 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
So your family would remember you much differently than we would? I'm joking, I'm joking, I couldn't resist. We disagree on a lot of things but underneath we are all Packers fans so we can joke a little with each other...right?

You've got almost 20 years on me but I suppose I could say pretty much what you did. Nothing special but no regrets. I've lived my life pretty much the same way my father has, quiet and unassuming. Work hard and love the ones around you. Take care of your own, help out those you can when you can. Nothing means as much to me as my family does (I'm not married and I have no kids but I have brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews) and I think they know that and I think that is what I would be remembered for and to be honest I can't think of much better things to be remembered for.

It's only sad if YOU think it is sad. Some people want to be remembered for big things or feel the need to be remembered by many. I don't need that and apparently you don't either so no it is not sad at all.

hahahaha I guess I left myself open for that. 40s and not married? You gotta spread that seed, man. Find some woman worthy of your ....... good qualities? ....... and get busy. I'm working on my second gorgeous wonderful Philippine girl - age 28 to my 66 - and there are a LOT more over there just waiting to find some American guy smart enough to be a Packer fan and appreciate them.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 6:03:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,869
Applause Received: 2,047

I posed this question because of some real life ordeals that got me thinking about some things.

What headstone design would I want. What songs should be played at my funeral that are reminiscent of me. What would I like said about me. Most importantly, even if I were to die tomorrow, have I laid enough of a foundation for my girls to grow up to be good women?

I'd want the legacy of me to be defined through my girls. As for what everyone will think about me. I know only a very select few truly get me and the rest completely misunderstand me and label, which is fine. But I can't say outside of family and friends I care much about other people's thoughts of me. That being said, I think they'd say I was a very caring person, excellent family member who bent over backwards to help anyone and was very blunt to the point kind of person who found a way to smile and make others smile regardless of the situation.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
4PackGirl on 11/15/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 2:48:02 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
hahahaha I guess I left myself open for that. 40s and not married? You gotta spread that seed, man. Find some woman worthy of your ....... good qualities? ....... and get busy. I'm working on my second gorgeous wonderful Philippine girl - age 28 to my 66 - and there are a LOT more over there just waiting to find some American guy smart enough to be a Packer fan and appreciate them.

Hey, I have good qualities... I think... I have lots of qualities so by law of average some of them have to be good right? I Had a few chances (at least I like to think I did) but not for me. I guess that's where my the selfishness comes in. If I were married do you think I'd still have all this time to impart my wisdom on you guys. As it is I hardly have enough time to make my usual contribution here.

Besides, No matter how much I have tried and tried and tried I just can't teach myself to lift the seat ... or is it or is leaving it up what pisses women off all the time? See, my mentality just doesn't mesh with women.

As far as kids go other peoples are the best. Spoil the shit out of them and send em home. I don't have any of my own for retaliatory strikes so I'm, safe. Of course If I ever do have kids of my own I'm screwed. My brother and sister have warehouses full of noisy toys and other annoying as heck items just waiting to unload them on me when the first chance they get.

And when you think of it, you all are my family (I'll pause to let you dry your eyes) Its a great big dysfunctional family to be sure, one that you would never want to spend the holidays with in person but
family none the less.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Rss Feed