Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 5:27:42 PM(UTC)
Here's his Packers.com profile - link.

Jason Wilde said:
GREEN BAY — Matt Flynn is back.

The Green Bay Packers re-signed their former backup quarterback on Monday evening, according to an NFL source The team did not announce the move, but Packers coach Mike McCarthy did confirm earlier in the day that the team's No. 2 quarterback from 2008 through 2011 was indeed in for a workout.

"Matt Flynn is here," McCarthy said at his 3 p.m. press briefing. "(He) went through his workout this morning. (He) looks good. That's really all I have for you right now. Everything else is a work in progress."

That work led to Flynn, who left the Packers as an unrestricted free agent in March 2012, coming back to Green Bay, where he's expected to back up Scott Tolzien on Sunday against the New York Giants. Tolzien took over for veteran Seneca Wallace after one series of Sunday's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles after Wallace, who was starting for an injured Aaron Rodgers (fractured collarbone), suffered a groin injury on the opening possession.

The Packers are expected to place Wallace on injured reserve to make room for Flynn on the roster.

Flynn, 28, spent the 2012 season with the Seattle Seahawks, backing up rookie Russell Wilson after losing the starting quarterback competition to him in camp. He was then traded to the Oakland Raiders this spring, and wound up ceding the starting job to Terrelle Pryor and was cut Oct. 7. Flynn then spent a week with the Buffalo Bills, who started Jeff Tuel instead of him with their top two quarterbacks injured. The Bills cut him on Nov. 4 — and that night, Rodgers broke his clavicle against the Chicago Bears.

Asked how much the offense has changed since Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in the 2011 regular-season finale against Detroit, offensive coordinator Tom Clements replied Monday afternoon, "It's still the same the terminology and the same basic plays."

When Flynn was released by the Raiders, McCarthy made it clear that the Packers weren't interested. But desperate times change opinions, clearly.

"Personally, I'm very happy with the quarterback room, the way it looks, the people in it," McCarthy said then. "Obviously Matt was a Packer, (I am) very fond of Matt and his time here. As far as any roster moves and things like that, I really don't have any comment on (that). But I do like Seneca Wallace, I like what he's done since he's been here, I feel very good about our quarterback room."

Flynn started two games — a 2010 loss at New England, when Rodgers was sidelined with a concussion, and that 2011 finale. The Seahawks and Raiders paid Flynn a combined $14.5 million over the last two seasons.

"I definitely am surprised because when his (free-agent) opportunity came, I obviously gave him a very high recommendation," McCarthy replied last month when asked if he was surprised Flynn didn't find starting success. "Injuries and all the different types of things, quarterback competition in both places, a lot of factors go into it. I haven't watched the film of Matt so I really can't even give you an educated or informed opinion on how exactly he did play, but on a personal level I'm very fond of Matt Flynn. He was excellent in his time here and I wish him the best of luck."
DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 5:42:30 PM(UTC)
Hmm, the defense will have to play better regardless.
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 5:50:51 PM(UTC)
The real question is ... what number will he wear? Harper gonna be cut to make room?

1 not available
2 Crosby, Mason
3 not available
4 not available
5 not available
8 Masthay, Tim
9 Wallace, Seneca
10 Harper, Chris
11 Boykin, Jarrett
12 Rodgers, Aaron
15 not available
16 Tolzien, Scott
19 White, Myles
macbob  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 6:01:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
The real question is ... what number will he wear? Harper gonna be cut to make room?

1 not available
2 Crosby, Mason
3 not available
4 not available
5 not available
8 Masthay, Tim
9 Wallace, Seneca
10 Harper, Chris
11 Boykin, Jarrett
12 Rodgers, Aaron
15 not available
16 Tolzien, Scott
19 White, Myles

That's easy. He wears #9.
buckeyepackfan  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 6:03:47 PM(UTC)

1 not available
2 Crosby, Mason
3 not available
4 not available
5 not available
8 Masthay, Tim
9 Wallace, Seneca
10 Harper, Chris
11 Boykin, Jarrett
12 Rodgers, Aaron
15 not available
16 Tolzien, Scott
19 White, Myles

I'm betting Mr. Harper will have a new number by tomorrow.

Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 6:21:54 PM(UTC)
Tyler Dunne: The Packers will have to make a roster spot for Flynn. If they put Wallace on injured reserve, his base salary for this season would drop from $840,000 to $408,000 due to a split contract provision. He is currently counting $555,000 against the salary cap due to a veteran's minimum benefit.
rabidgopher04  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 7:54:22 PM(UTC)

1 not available
2 Crosby, Mason
3 not available
4 not available
5 not available
8 Masthay, Tim
9 Wallace, Seneca
10 Harper, Chris
11 Boykin, Jarrett
12 Rodgers, Aaron
15 not available
16 Tolzien, Scott
19 White, Myles

Is #4 reserved? It's not officially retired. He should just wear it if it's available. I think it would be funny.

El3ment12  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 9:14:32 PM(UTC)
I guess his elbow is ok. I hope he starts against the Giants
Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 9:17:43 PM(UTC)
El3ment12 said: Go to Quoted Post
I guess his elbow is ok. I hope he starts against the Giants

dhazer  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 9:20:24 PM(UTC)

I still say you let Tolzein play a couple games to see what you have for next year.
nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 9:40:25 PM(UTC)

All right then.

If he can't throw the ball, then it's because his arm is shit. Not because of injury. Duly noted.
Laser Gunns  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:00:17 AM(UTC)
I'm kinda torn between these two.

Flynny has had some success, but I kinda want to see what Tolz can do with more experience.
Rockmolder  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:06:52 AM(UTC)

1 not available
2 Crosby, Mason
3 not available
4 not available
5 not available
8 Masthay, Tim
9 Wallace, Seneca
10 Harper, Chris
11 Boykin, Jarrett
12 Rodgers, Aaron
15 not available
16 Tolzien, Scott
19 White, Myles

He's always had 15, except for with his first stint with us... But I really don't think he's in any kind of position to be making any requests here.

1, 4 and 5 haven't officially been retired, btw. We actually used two of those this pre-season.

14 was Don Hutson's number.
play2win  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:20:32 AM(UTC)
How about Lucky 13…?

I'm really glad he is back with the Packers. He has won a National Championship. He's been backup for a Super Bowl winning team. The game is not too big for him. I think he will be just fine playing again with Green Bay. Hopefully, he can guide us to a couple more wins while Rodgers is on the mend. Scott Tolzien did an admirable job backing up with little to no preparation. If Tolzien plays well enough in NY to steal a win, great. If not, we've got someone capable who knows the system well enough to come in in relief and succeed.
nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:23:02 AM(UTC)
RajiRoar said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm kinda torn between these two.

Flynny has had some success, but I kinda want to see what Tolz can do with more experience.

His dad was bullshitting about his arm being suddenly healed.

Trying to make him sound more signable. He'll compete next year, but for now, he's for an emergency.
wpr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:56:11 AM(UTC)
I don't see him getting on the field any time soon. But he did prove to be a reliable back up for the most part.
Gaycandybacon  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:50:46 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
His dad was bullsh!tting about his arm being suddenly healed.

Trying to make him sound more signable. He'll compete next year, but for now, he's for an emergency.

well someone isn't optimistic about this signing :P
VinceLambeauStarr  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:25:19 AM(UTC)
Makes sense, in terms of projecting production from a backup's backup.

A part of me feels like this season is lost, how on earth I could think it with just four in the L column worries me.

I just feel like this team has been spoiled for too long. The defense for the most part has been an afterthought and plays that way when our Quarterback produces the way he has done for the past couple of years. I think the whole unit needs a booming piece, a heart and soul. Clay Matthews is close to that, but it still feels like this defense is lacking in cohesion and direction.
play2win  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:43:36 AM(UTC)
VinceLambeauStarr said: Go to Quoted Post
Makes sense, in terms of projecting production from a backup's backup.

A part of me feels like this season is lost, how on earth I could think it with just four in the L column worries me.

I just feel like this team has been spoiled for too long. The defense for the most part has been an afterthought and plays that way when our Quarterback produces the way he has done for the past couple of years. I think the whole unit needs a booming piece, a heart and soul. Clay Matthews is close to that, but it still feels like this defense is lacking in cohesion and direction.

I say it is high time Datone Jones makes a huge impact on our D. He has taken some steps forward, and I hope he continues to improve. It would mean a great deal to this D if he were to become unhinged and started to realize his potential with a double digit sack total by the end of the season.
steveishere  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:00:39 AM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
I say it is high time Datone Jones makes a huge impact on our D. He has taken some steps forward, and I hope he continues to improve. It would mean a great deal to this D if he were to become unhinged and started to realize his potential with a double digit sack total by the end of the season.

If Datone could pick it up we'd have one hell of a set between him and Daniels. I think Daniels is just getting started and he's becoming one of my favorite players. Guy is an animal out there.
Rss Feed