Dulak
10 years ago

You're right Cheesey. 5 INTs in 2 games. Those were big. If we could take 3 of those back, maybe we are 7-3 right now, instead of 5-5.

I'm not saying Flynn is good, healthy, able to make all the throws. Just that he knows the system far better than Tolzien, and has guided this Packers team to a win before. We essentially have to win out to make the playoffs. Sustaining another loss due to freakish INTs is not going to do it. We need a QB who can play a very careful game back there, with all of the chips on the line. Flynn has won a National Championship, and backed up a Super Bowl winner. I simply trust Flynn to get the job done at this point more than I do Tolzien.

I do believe both Flynn and Tolzien can win against MIN on Sunday. However, the following week v. DET might be another thing altogether. Given that, I would rather have Flynn have this MIN game to get into some kind of groove to better prepare for that Thanksgiving Day game in DET. Again, we have to win out.

This staff clearly likes Tolzien for this week better. Maybe the kid can do it. I have my doubts though after the way all of our plays were telegraphed to the NYG defense prior to the snap. They knew exactly what we were going to do. How far was Tolzien able to work in the progressions? What kind of adjustments was he able to make at the line of scrimmage? The kid has been on just the Practice Squad since Sept 2nd. Signed to the roster Nov. 6th. That was TWO WEEKS AGO! That is not a lot of time to know the system. Flynn has been an integral part of the Packers system for 4 solid years, 2008-20012, in the QB meeting room, competing for roster spots, backing up Rodgers, etc. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I agree - ok ok Tolzien is new and wed like him to be a good backup; but like play2win said 5 INTs in 2 games killed it for us. Thats game over; Just like running backs need ball security else we lose games - same goes with QBs. Its great he can throw bombs; but that wont help if the other team is scoring more due to our INTs.

Remember when the giants were the worst team in the NFL ... we lost to them ... now the vikings ... and then lions ... got some peeps coming over for thanksgiving here in the UK Id at least like to show them a team that isnt going to suck that bad ... I dont want to have to say "normally we would of won this game but blah blah blah".
nerdmann
10 years ago

I agree - ok ok Tolzien is new and wed like him to be a good backup; but like play2win said 5 INTs in 2 games killed it for us. Thats game over; Just like running backs need ball security else we lose games - same goes with QBs. Its great he can throw bombs; but that wont help if the other team is scoring more due to our INTs.

Remember when the giants were the worst team in the NFL ... we lost to them ... now the vikings ... and then lions ... got some peeps coming over for thanksgiving here in the UK Id at least like to show them a team that isnt going to suck that bad ... I dont want to have to say "normally we would of won this game but blah blah blah".

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

We lost to them, because Mike wouldn't let Tolzien throw past the "9 men in the box." Why do you think that JPP interception happened?

It wasn't on Tolzien, that was on Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

Hazer...you ask why? Because we have seen what
Tolzien can do, and are not sure he
can win for us.
What have we to lose ?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

What have we to lose? How about a game and a possible shot at the playoffs. We are not sure Flynn can win for us either. Just because he played out of his mind in one game a couple of years ago does not mean he can do it again especially when he hasn't done anything close to it since. Not that he would have to play out of his mind to beat the vikings but I think Tolzien can do just as well.

steveishere
10 years ago
Flynn lost the first game and a half he played for us as well. He didn't throw 5 INTs but he did have some really bad INTs with 1 being a pick 6 in a game we lost by 4.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

No way. Tolzien is the man.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Knew that was bogus when you said it too.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Knew that was bogus when you said it too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Tolzien had his shot. Now Flynn is the man. He's earned it.

Tolzien still has developmental potential, but Flynn looks like his arm is just fine. Loved the moxie on that 4th down play to go with the hard count!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 years ago

It is a lot easier to come in and play in replacement of Rodgers, when you are throwing to Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Finley. Than when you come in missing 2 of the top 5 receiving options and missing one or two starting Olineman.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

True... but you also have to factor in Eddie Lacy and the running game. Which helps currently compared to the past.

As far as Flynn against the Lions in the past, I say people overlook the biggest two factors in that game. 1) When healthy the Lions DBs were VERY bad. 2) The Lions were missing their two 2 DBs due to injury that game and the guys starting on the Lions that game were horrible as starters.

Last game against the Lions, they ran a lot of wide 9 defense, which is strong with pass rush and weak in run defense putting a lot on the shoulders of their DTs.

Packers won and their new running game won that battle.

It will be interesting to see if they try that again or not. Or what new thing they try. I kind of hope they go to the wide 9 again, because if gives the Packers OL a chance of running the ball on those DTs.

Either way the Packers have to stop the Lions offense some how.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 years ago
Flynn showed he can move the team. He has
the expierience to at least give us a chance.
That said, I hope Aaron Rodgers can play. We have a
legitimate chance to stay in the playoff
hunt and need a win against the Lions.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
I was wrong about Flynn. During the Raiders game earlier this year he played with 0 confidence which is understandable I guess and I was worried about his arm but when he got in today his confidence and leadership was obvious. The team rallied behind him. He didn't do anything too special out there besides that throw to Boykin but you can see a big difference between him and anyone else we've had in there as far as just directing and leading the team. At this point I'd be comfortable if Ted Thompson gave Flynn a decent sized back up contract to lock him up for future years. It would be nice to have a back up that's more gifted physically but that leadership isn't really something you can teach.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I was wrong about Flynn. During the Raiders game earlier this year he played with 0 confidence which is understandable I guess and I was worried about his arm but when he got in today his confidence and leadership was obvious. The team rallied behind him. He didn't do anything too special out there besides that throw to Boykin but you can see a big difference between him and anyone else we've had in there as far as just directing and leading the team. At this point I'd be comfortable if Ted Thompson gave Flynn a decent sized back up contract to lock him up for future years. It would be nice to have a back up that's more gifted physically but that leadership isn't really something you can teach.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah, lock him down.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.