play2win
10 years ago

Someone find the threads and comments on Brad Jones last season, and also find his new contract thread.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130322/PKR0101/130322028/Green-Bay-Packers-LB-Brad-Jones-signs-for-3-years-11-75M 

The ILB market last year was shit. Jones did as much to earn that contrac as any other FA ILB last year would have. The contract isn't that bad to "set us back" anyways.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Brad Jones finished 3rd on the team in tackles with 77 in 2012, 4 PDs, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INTs. Paid him more than Hawk. And, he pretty much sucked when we really needed good MLB play. Both of his 2 sacks that season came against the helpless JAX and TEN teams, one in each game, along with the FF v. JAX, 1 PD v. TEN.

How great was he again, steveishere? That's worth $4M per year?

And, this year we get 3 sacks from him, 1FF, 0 PDs and 0 INTs…. Hell, Hawk was better in coverage!

We're on the hook for $4M on the cap next year with him, and almost $5M in 2015. He was a 3rd string LB and STs player…
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199867551.html 

Please tell me how that $5M won't come in handy next year when we have to re-sign Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

No doubt! Morgan Burnett has regressed in this D as has BJ Raji. Top talents should not be doing the exact opposite of improving. Sadly, we've seen a lot of that, and maybe that does point to the staff.

Personally, I see our failures on D both the result of poor leadership and good talents that left this team going un replaced.

It's Dom's unit. If he didn't have the right players, he should have made Ted aware, and Ted should have fixed that.

I question just how much better we would have been under another DC, because we lack blue chip talent across the board. I would consider Shields and Matthews blue chip, Hayward last year. Maybe Tramon. That's it.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

You have seen the light! hahahaha

I suppose it might be a case of Dom not telling Ted what kind of players we needed, but I have to think the fault is with the GM - DUH!

I think part of the problem with Burnett may be not having a quality Safety beside him. He may also have had lingering effects from the hamstring when he came back - he seemed to be doing the job a little better in the Niner game.

Interesting the way the thread FINALLY seems to be coming around to focusing blame on Thompson more than Capers. Not to say I told ya'all so, but in fact, I did.

I honestly wouldn't be heartbroken if Capers was replaced, but I really think blaming him for the problem is pretty foolish given the personnel he had. I think almost anybody else would be worse because what we needed to do was compensate for poor personnel by trickery and schemes - Capers' strong suit. Having seen Wade Phillips a lot in both Dallas and Houston, I'll say with reasonable certainty, he's no kind of solution. Even worse would be trying some unproven rah rah loud mouth like our resident WWF performer. If there really is any thought (on the part of McCarthy and Thompson) to try somebody new, they ought to think about Gregg "the Bounty Guy" Williams.

The main thing, though, is to upgrade the personnel.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Dom Capers is the problem, not Ted Thompson. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that. Any good coach manipulates his scheme to fit his players, not demand players to fit his scheme.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130322/PKR0101/130322028/Green-Bay-Packers-LB-Brad-Jones-signs-for-3-years-11-75M 

Brad Jones finished 3rd on the team in tackles with 77 in 2012, 4 PDs, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INTs. Paid him more than Hawk. And, he pretty much sucked when we really needed good MLB play. Both of his 2 sacks that season came against the helpless JAX and TEN teams, one in each game, along with the FF v. JAX, 1 PD v. TEN.

How great was he again, steveishere? That's worth $4M per year?

And, this year we get 3 sacks from him, 1FF, 0 PDs and 0 INTs…. Hell, Hawk was better in coverage!

We're on the hook for $4M on the cap next year with him, and almost $5M in 2015. He was a 3rd string LB and STs player…
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199867551.html 

Please tell me how that $5M won't come in handy next year when we have to re-sign Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

Ok please show me where I said he was "great". The cap hit was only 2.5 for him this year while the cap hit for Hawk the next 3 years is over 5. We aren't paying more for Jones than Hawk. The hit next year is 4m but in 2 year he can be cut with only 1m against the cap so I doubt we'll ever pay 5m for Jones. Hardly a contract that's gonna "set us back". And like I said the FA ILB market was terrible. Jones was as good in 2012 as most of those guys and he already had a year of experience in our defense which makes me believe Dom probably had a lot to say about Jones coming back.
10 years ago
Capers is a very good coordinator but he isn't the right one for this team at the moment.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Dom Capers is the problem, not Ted Thompson. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that. Any good coach manipulates his scheme to fit his players, not demand players to fit his scheme.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Can't you see, that's EXACTLY what Capers does - avoiding going head to head, scheming/misdirecting/compensating as much as possible - BECAUSE of the players he has - or more accurately, lacks - quality-wise.

And who exactly is to blame for that?

What kind of defense do you think would succeed with personnel like the Packers have, anyway?

play2win
10 years ago

You have seen the light! hahahaha

I suppose it might be a case of Dom not telling Ted what kind of players we needed, but I have to think the fault is with the GM - DUH!

I think part of the problem with Burnett may be not having a quality Safety beside him. He may also have had lingering effects from the hamstring when he came back - he seemed to be doing the job a little better in the Niner game.

Interesting the way the thread FINALLY seems to be coming around to focusing blame on Thompson more than Capers. Not to say I told ya'all so, but in fact, I did.

I honestly wouldn't be heartbroken if Capers was replaced, but I really think blaming him for the problem is pretty foolish given the personnel he had. I think almost anybody else would be worse because what we needed to do was compensate for poor personnel by trickery and schemes - Capers' strong suit. Having seen Wade Phillips a lot in both Dallas and Houston, I'll say with reasonable certainty, he's no kind of solution. Even worse would be trying some unproven rah rah loud mouth like our resident WWF performer. If there really is any thought (on the part of McCarthy and Thompson) to try somebody new, they ought to think about Gregg "the Bounty Guy" Williams.

The main thing, though, is to upgrade the personnel.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Hate to break it to you texas, but you were not the one to shine a light on Ted Thompson's failings in acquiring talent to adequately fill our roster holes. We've been talking about this for years…

However, as GM he certainly shares a giant portion of the blame for not addressing our safety needs for 3 years, our pass rush needs opposite Matthews for 3 years, and our DL deficiencies since the loss of Cullen Jenkins, another player he has never been able to replace. Any DC would struggle with the gapping holes that have been left open on this defense since 2010 and 2011.

He has tried, the "Ted Way," and failed, again. Bargain basement FAs aren't doing it, and his drafts have their hits, but far too many misses. Not drafting a S or signing one in FA, or making a trade for one last year was preposterous. Unbelievable. He could have traded for Jairus Byrd after he saw how bad we were there early this year, and we might still be in the playoffs… BUF was open to trade at the time. I cannot believe what poor shape he left us in at the position this season.

Add to that, 2 R1s and an R2 to help our pass rush opposite Matthews has us looking, again, for more pass rush. Perry, Datone and Worthy have a lot of proving to do. None of them made an immediate impact. Datone did some good things, but was underutilized. Capers has to share some of the blame there, but, so does Ted, and Mike McCarthy allowed this to happen. It's not as cut and dried as one guy carrying the blame for this hot mess. And, it has been a hot mess for THREE - FREAKING - YEARS!!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Hate to break it to you texas, but you were not the one to shine a light on Ted Thompson's failings in acquiring talent to adequately fill our roster holes. We've been talking about this for years…

However, as GM he certainly shares a giant portion of the blame for not addressing our safety needs for 3 years, our pass rush needs opposite Matthews for 3 years, and our DL deficiencies since the loss of Cullen Jenkins, another player he has never been able to replace. Any DC would struggle with the gapping holes that have been left open on this defense since 2010 and 2011.

He has tried, the "Ted Way," and failed, again. Bargain basement FAs aren't doing it, and his drafts have their hits, but far too many misses. Not drafting a S or signing one in FA, or making a trade for one last year was preposterous. Unbelievable. He could have traded for Jairus Byrd after he saw how bad we were there early this year, and we might still be in the playoffs… BUF was open to trade at the time. I cannot believe what poor shape he left us in at the position this season.

Add to that, 2 R1s and an R2 to help our pass rush opposite Matthews has us looking, again, for more pass rush. Perry, Datone and Worthy have a lot of proving to do. None of them made an immediate impact. Datone did some good things, but was underutilized. Capers has to share some of the blame there, but, so does Ted, and Mike McCarthy allowed this to happen. It's not as cut and dried as one guy carrying the blame for this hot mess.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Well, good for you. All I know for sure is that when I had the gall to criticize the genius GM, I ran into a veritable shitstorm from a bunch of "in denial" defenders of him - and I could be wrong, but it seems like you were one of that bunch.

steveishere
10 years ago

Can't you see, that's EXACTLY what Capers does - avoiding going head to head, scheming/misdirecting/compensating as much as possible - BECAUSE of the players he has - or more accurately, lacks - quality-wise.

And who exactly is to blame for that?

What kind of defense do you think would succeed with personnel like the Packers have, anyway?

Ted Thompson didn't sit guys like Daniels and Boyd on the bench when they were looking like 2 of the better DL while Raji played the most snaps looking like one of the worst linemen in the league. He didn't keep Hyde on the bench for long stretches of the season and he didn't refuse to keep MD Jennings off the field for Richardson or Banjo despite benching the guy 4 or 5 times throughout the season for playing like ass. Ted Thompson didn't make Brad Jones play while he was banged up and playing like crap when Lattimore had done much better in relief. Why did Dom do these things? Because the guys he went with were "better fits for his scheme" not necessarily the better players.
10 years ago

Whatever defense Rob Ryan is running in New Orleans
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders