wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

It seems like you're reaching to pick a fight and I'm trying, err failing to figure out what the fight actually is.

I want a defense that holds a team under 20 points a game consistently and I don't care if they end up giving bunches of yards in the process.

You respond with 2013 team stats that say less yards are the correlation a team gives up less points?

So be it then.

I'm not arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg. I am saying ... keep teams under 20 points per game consistently, period.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

you also said:

I want a defense that consistently keeps teams UNDER 20 points per game. The yards mean nothing to me. They can give up 300 or 400 a game as long as they keep the opponent under 20 points consistently.

I am not trying to pick a fight.

Certainly the points given up is the bottom line and we agree on that. I am also concerned about the yards allowed because it is an indicator of points. You won't find many teams that give up 500 yards a game and only 10 points. Likewise you won't find many teams that give up 200 yard a game and let the other teams score 50 points.

Hold the other team to 200 yards (Not reasonable in the day and age.) and you will win championships.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Texas, I thought I made you cry and you quit. You weren't working or anything last night were you "on the Dole boy"?

You'll get your wish because Uncle Ted just doesn't fire guys. But like usual, you are completely wrong on this issue! Capers flat out sucks, and is the beneficiary of having a high potent offense to carry his slacker ass. No wonder you like him so much - he's a lot like you - no credibility and never takes responsibility for anything.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

hahahahahahaha tell me what you really think.

I don't know what you even think you said to make you think that - just because you got the last word as a fag defender before the thread got locked.

I will give you credit for occasional moments of lucidity in the realm of football - unlike politics. However, in this case, the idea of blaming Capers and using schemes to compensate for poor D personnel, you are as idiotic as you are in the Back Alley. You are correct about one thing, though. Thompson - and the Packers in general - don't go around haphazardly firing people like a lot of teams. Capers should be safe, not just because of that tendency, but because anybody with a lick of sense knows that we would be WORSE off trying to man up and play teams WITHOUT compensatory scheming, given the personnel we have. That tendency not to fire people, rather, is what keeps Ol' Ted secure from being fired.

Hopefully, Thompson will, however, have been shocked to the realization of how crappy a job he has done in terms of O Line and most of the D, and clean up his own act.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The reason that Kaepernick didn't kill this team with his legs is because he didn't have to. He easily sat back all day and picked apart the D through the air because he overcompensated by playing too much zone. And that's were we all start bitching at: once it was shown that the pre-game plan to stop Kaepernick failed, Capers couldn't adjust.

I think the post game show said it best after that game. Yeah you don't want Kaepernick running wild like he did last year but don't be afraid to challenge him especially after you spent all season saying how much more physical and tough you would be. Kaepernick showed he didn't want to run and take a hit on a stretch option play by IMMEDIATELY throwing his hands up to show he didn't have the ball after handing off to Gore.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Uh ...... isn't that what I said? Capers did what was necessary to stop the running of Kaepernick, but he stubbornly refused to depart from that, even when Kaepernick started having success passing. The challenge this time is to stop both, and Gore too - with basically the same shoddy personnel, now minus Matthews. It will be difficult, but I wouldn't bet against Capers doing it.

DakotaT
10 years ago

hahahahahahaha tell me what you really think.

I don't know what you even think you said to make you think that - just because you got the last word as a fag defender before the thread got locked.

I will give you credit for occasional moments of lucidity in the realm of football - unlike politics. However, in this case, the idea of blaming Capers and using schemes to compensate for poor D personnel, you are as idiotic as you are in the Back Alley. You are correct about one thing, though. Thompson - and the Packers in general - don't go around haphazardly firing people like a lot of teams. Capers should be safe, not just because of that tendency, but because anybody with a lick of sense knows that we would be WORSE off trying to man up and play teams WITHOUT compensatory scheming, given the personnel we have. That tendency not to fire people, rather, is what keeps Ol' Ted secure from being fired.

Hopefully, Thompson will, however, have been shocked to the realization of how crappy a job he has done in terms of O Line and most of the D, and clean up his own act.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

We have more than enough competent personnel to field a top 15 defense. What we don't have is competent coaching to make players better. Dom sits on his ass in his press box and doesn't even interact with the players. I wonder if he even hits the practice field with them.

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Uh ...... isn't that what I said? Capers did what was necessary to stop the running of Kaepernick, but he stubbornly refused to depart from that, even when Kaepernick started having success passing. The challenge this time is to stop both, and Gore too - with basically the same shoddy personnel, now minus Matthews. It will be difficult, but I wouldn't bet against Capers doing it.

Capers didn't stop Kaepernick from running-Kaepernick choose not to. Though the run D was stout vs Gore, where'd that go? The only difference between now and then is no Matthews, Jolly or McMillian.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

We have more than enough competent personnel to field a top 15 defense. What we don't have is competent coaching to make players better. Dom sits on his ass in his press box and doesn't even interact with the players. I wonder if he even hits the practice field with them.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

As I said, "competent coaching to make players better" - teaching fundamentals - is mainly the job of the position coaches. It's debatable whether THAT is the problem, or we just have a lot of substandard personnel. Either way, creative schemes - Capers' strength - are NEEDED to be competitive against good offenses.

Does nobody around here remember Robert Sanders and Donatel and the other guys we had after Shurmer and before Capers? Plain vanilla defense didn't cut it then, and it won't cut it now.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

As I said, "competent coaching to make players better" - teaching fundamentals - is mainly the job of the position coaches. It's debatable whether THAT is the problem, or we just have a lot of substandard personnel. Either way, creative schemes - Capers' strength - are NEEDED to be competitive against good offenses.

Does nobody around here remember Robert Sanders and Donatel and the other guys we had after Shurmer and before Capers? Plain vanilla defense didn't cut it then, and it won't cut it now.

And what was wrong with Donatell or Sanders? They got results.

Here is the defensive ranking based on total yards. If someone wants to do points or yards per go ahead.

Donatell
2000 15th
01 13th
02 12th
03 17th

Slowik
04 25th

Bates
05 7th

Sanders
06 12th
07 11th
08 20th

Capers
09 2nd
10 5th
11 32nd
12 11th
13 25th

No one has had better years than Dom but he has been here for 5 years and they were years 1 & 2. Looks like he did it with Sanders players not his own. No one has done worse than Dom either.

I have to admire Sanders. He was the 4th DC in 4 years but he still had a pretty decent defense 2 of his 3 years here.

Slowik finished 25th in his first year and his was gone. Sanders 20th in his final year.

Capers goes 32nd, 11th and 25th. Not good enough to keep his job in my book. I don't care about 09 and 10 any more. This is a what have you done for me lately league not a remember when you were so good league.

capers MO is to come in get good results and then slide down the rankings. Other teams adapt to his tricks and he can't counter.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

you also said:

I am not trying to pick a fight.

Certainly the points given up is the bottom line and we agree on that. I am also concerned about the yards allowed because it is an indicator of points. You won't find many teams that give up 500 yards a game and only 10 points. Likewise you won't find many teams that give up 200 yard a game and let the other teams score 50 points.

Hold the other team to 200 yards (Not reasonable in the day and age.) and you will win championships.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Hold the other team to less than 20 points a game consistently. That is what wins championships.

If you give up 300 yards or even 400 yards of offense in the process, it matters little as long as you keep them under 20 points consistently. Did I say 500 yards? Did I say 10 points? I said keep them under 20 points offensively and that they can give up 300 or 400 yards a game.

28 teams kept teams between 300 and 400 yards on average.

6 teams kept teams below 20 points against. (I don't know if that is what the defense gave up so it could be less/more)

I don't know the special teams scores and pick sixes off hand, but if the defense held the opposing offenses to 20 or less, I think the Packers win 12 games this season. Crazily enough, I think they'd only get the 3rd seed then lol.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Hold the other team to less than 20 points a game consistently. That is what wins championships.

If you give up 300 yards or even 400 yards of offense in the process, it matters little as long as you keep them under 20 points consistently. Did I say 500 yards? Did I say 10 points? I said keep them under 20 points offensively and that they can give up 300 or 400 yards a game.

28 teams kept teams between 300 and 400 yards on average.

6 teams kept teams below 20 points against. (I don't know if that is what the defense gave up so it could be less/more)

I don't know the special teams scores and pick sixes off hand, but if the defense held the opposing offenses to 20 or less, I think the Packers win 12 games this season. Crazily enough, I think they'd only get the 3rd seed then lol.

The 500 yards and 10 points were illustrations. Obviously no one is going to do either. So then from the unlikely you work back towards the probable.

Even you said it. Only 6 teams gave up 20 points or less with your yardage average. 21.4%. It is just not very likely. You need to get the yards allowed down to get them at 20 or less on a more consistent basis. Which is not very likely in this day and with these rules.

I too want the team to give up 20 points or less. And I agree it is the most relevant statistic. I simply won't ignore the yards allowed.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 years ago
The missed tackles, players out of position, I don't know if it's coaching, or players just not doing their jobs.
But our D has done both way too many times this season.
If they don't shore it up this week, it will be one and done.
And I don't know if it can be fixed in one week.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.