MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

The Packers' defense needs a change next year, and won't have cap room or high draft picks to waste on the front seven. But a schematic change to Wade Phillips brand of 3-4 might be just enough to bring about the positional (and attitude) change this team needs.

CheeseheadTV  wrote:

steveishere
10 years ago
Talks about fans not understanding Raji's role, calls Raji a NT. Seems legit...

I think Raji probably averages like 1 snap a game at NT.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
When Phillips was the Cowboys D Coordinator, he had Jay Ratliff at NT, a very different kind of player from Raji.

It's funny, I've been watching the Houston Texans all season - the usual CBS game here, and there is the Phillips D, with all the talent in the world - J.J. Watt and numerous others - underperforming to say the least. Also, the OLBs - contrary to the article - are not the showcase players in the Phillips D with Houston.

The really disgusting thing in that article - if true - is that Ted Thompson would actually offer $8 million a year or even half of that to a fat piece of crap like Raji. How can you Thompson lovers defend THAT?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

I think this article has a number of problems... first off it sounds like they're implying none of Capers schemes are attacking/aggresive schemes which is far from the truth. Capers is most known for his agressive/attacking 3-4 scheme which the Packers did use from when he first came to the Packers in 2009 until 2011, where it gave up a record setting yards given up.

So the Packers won the Super Bowl under Capers attacking/agressive defense scheme, but changed away from it after the 2011 season giving up all those yards because they didn't have the right pieces to keep it in place. Most people point to the loss of Cullen Jenkins but really it was much bigger than that... it was the loss of Nick Collins, Jenkins, and the declide in play from CBs Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams and NT Howard Green and B.J. Raji.
Mike McCarthy and Capers got together after that poor season and some how decised it would be better go to the more tradional 3-4 scheme, probably because the Packers lack of pass rush combined with their decline in coverage guys. (which lack of coverage has been a big problem for all agressive schemes including Wade Phillips scheme where good QB (such as Rodgers) has LIT up their schemes badly at times.

Also Ray Lewis was asked to blocker-eater? I'm not Ravens or Ray Lewis expert but I highly doubt Lewis was asked to be a blocker eater. I think the real problem was after winning the Super Bowl in 2000 the big fat guys in front of him retired and when they went to 3-4 he didn't have the DL in front of him that could keep him protected, letting OL get hits on him too often and that was his problem with it.

I've lighted the idea of going to a 3-4 defense like Wade Phillips ran with the Cowboys. As I've thought that scheme best fir the Packers players (and think that's still true in some ways). But even when Raji has been given the green light to pass rush he hasn't been winning one on one pass rush battles, so I'm not sure he'd be the stater at an agressive NT spot right now. I think I'd rather go with Daniels. And have Raji backing up Jolly and Pickett at the two gap DE spots which stuff the OL and protect the blitzing LB as much as they can.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
I'm going to be real disappointed if BJ Raji is even offered a contract next season. Pickett should be really lowballed, cause his play has really regressed.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Word is, Wade be free.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

Word is, Wade be free.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Word also is Wade did less with more. Texans seem like they have pretty good talent in the front 7. I'm not sure Wade could run the Packers any better than Capers... (I don't think he could).

I wouldn't mind running some of Wade's schemes, but I don't think I'd want him running the show. He seems to come up with a main plan of attack and normally works fine for a while, but once the offense figures it out I haven't really noticed his defenses recovering form the offenses getting on a roll and adjustments.

Wade likes to live and die on his pass rush and blitez with man coverage... problem is his coverages don't win out often enough with out some very good to great talent in the front 7.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/t22999-Wade-Phillips-to-GB  made me think of it.

Ted Thompson is very close to Wade Phillips. Ted interviewed Wade for the Head Coaching position after releasing Mike Sherman and most felt that it was a Ted doing a favor by making Wade look wanted for the position so others might interview him too.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
Was it ever confirmed that Raji was offered 8 million? I seem to recall it started off as sounding legitimate but by his offseason resigning it looked more like a ploy/rumor.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.