Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 7:02:25 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 217
Applause Received: 238
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
It was early to mid-season (2010) when Cullen Jenkins voiced his displeasure about the lack of communication from the Packers regarding his contract. "It's almost like maybe a slap in the face. I'm not the type of player that causes a big scene or goes out and displays his unhappiness. You just kind of feel like you're not in the plans, like they just don't see you as a valuable enough player." said Jenkins. Jenkins, who was coming off his first 16 game starting season from the 2009 season knew that at age 29 this was his best chance for a big payday and the Packers weren't even talking to him about a contract.

It should be noted that Jenkins only played in four games during the 2008 season and was set to be 30 years old during the 2011 season. Past injuries and his age, plus the Packers investment of a 2nd round pick in Mike Neal were reasons for the Packers to be patient and let the market set the price tag. This is a common practice by the Packers and often times it rubs players the wrong way.

The Packers actually countered the Eagles offer but Jenkins mind was made in October that he was not returning for only a few extra bucks in the bank. Uncharacteristically, he would later play into the fans ire by saying he was going to give the Packers a hometown discount.

Going forward a few years to the off-season before the 2013 season and we have a 29 year old Greg Jennings coming off an abbreviated season targeting $12 million per season. Per Jason Wilde, the Packers offered Jennings about $10 million a year during the season. Jennings left with a bitter taste in his mouth as he referred to Aaron Rodgers as "the guy they have now" and "12" and also saying the Packers "brainwash" their players into thinking the Packers are the creme of the NFC North division. Ultimately, Jennings signed a five year deal for $47.5 million, or $9.5 million per year with the Minnesota Vikings.

These quotes from Jennings at his charity golf outing are very telling. "The way I exited Green Bay was very unprofessional," Jennings said. "But I don't feel any of that here. I felt more of a disrespect from Green Bay, honestly. It was more dealing with myself -- it was, 'Man, I really wanted to stay in Green Bay.' I really wanted to stay here [in Minnesota], but I've grown so much in my faith, to where I recognize where God is moving and making change.

"It just was really something I was dealing with myself. I had to recognize that I had a level of pride to where I felt like, 'Wow, I went through all of this.' It was almost a sense of entitlement, like, 'Wow, I dedicated my entire career, and [there's] no fight, no want?' It's almost like you disowned your child. But that's what I was feeling -- and again, selfishly. Bottom line, I was hurt, because I did want to stay. But I wasn't willingly embracing change at that moment. It's unfortunate, but I've been very apologetic to them personally. I don't have a lot of things where I wish it wouldn't have happened. I definitely wish I would have handled that better."

Both Jenkins and Jennings felt the Packers disrespected them and handled things unprofessionally. The theme here is (and stop me if you've heard this before, e.g. 2008) the team did not communicate their desire to retain the player.

Would it be wrong to say a Top 5 GM wouldn't operate in such a manner?
Offline nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 7:29:29 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,537
Applause Received: 869
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post
Would it be wrong to say a Top 5 GM wouldn't operate in such a manner?

In what sort of manner? Both Jenkings and Jennings are apologizing and admitting they behaved poorly. lol
Rss Feed