Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DoddPower  
#61 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 8:17:37 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
Maybe more than that, package specific. I feel like we could find a use for a guy like that, just not as a starter or in most of our regular packages.

I totally agree. There's a place for him: as a good backup safety (at best). If utilized correctly, he could be a contributor to the Packers, but whether it's injuries o r poor coaching, I expect him to be forced into roles that don't suit his skill set properly.

The idea of moving him to inside linebacker in certain packages intrigues me though. Obviously only on passing downs. I would hope he could cover better than AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.
buckeyepackfan  
#62 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 12:32:33 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how many snaps he's getting (compared to others) in the preseason games... I'm seeing Haha in there a lot... both making some plays but also giving some up... and I haven't noticed Richardson in the game much (which is good that he's not getting lit up). That or maybe I'm just not noticing him... but I haven't been looking for him either.

I didn't think Sean was in that much, Ha Ha was only player with more snaps.

Safeties
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: 34
Sean Richardson: 23
Chris Banjo: 22
Micah Hyde: 20
Charles Clay: 18
Tanner Miller: 17
Morgan Burnett: 12
Notes: If Clinton-Dix is going to move into the starting lineup, it could be this week in practice after he got a long look against the Rams. The first-round pick recorded one sack and three tackles without missing one. Hyde gave up the Rams' only touchdown, an 11-yard pass to tight end Lance Kendricks. Banjo had an interception taken away by an illegal hands to the face penalty on Gray. Banjo and Goodson also played a team-high nine snaps on special teams.
DarkaneRules  
#63 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:45:50 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
I totally agree. There's a place for him: as a good backup safety (at best). If utilized correctly, he could be a contributor to the Packers, but whether it's injuries o r poor coaching, I expect him to be forced into roles that don't suit his skill set properly.

The idea of moving him to inside linebacker in certain packages intrigues me though. Obviously only on passing downs. I would hope he could cover better than AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.

Barrington has been around the ball and played well this pre-season. I have liked his overall play more than Lattimore.

But overall, you may have a point. Richardson closer to the trenches may be a good thing.
mi_keys  
#64 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 8:16:19 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Hyde gave up the Rams' only touchdown, an 11-yard pass to tight end Lance Kendricks.

You won't want to hear it but it may well have been Hawk's fault. Flapper

Looked like Hawk maybe should have got a little deeper to help take away the seem whereas Hyde had outside leverage.

Not actually sure but I think it falls on both of them.
Zero2Cool  
#65 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 8:37:33 PM(UTC)
Looks like some folks are finally starting to see what I did long ago ...

User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#66 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 8:56:44 PM(UTC)
I like the way Richardson hits, but I don't like the way he covers - always one or two steps late it seems - and that is more important than the spectacular hits. Yeah, he needs to make the team; No, he doesn't need to start.

It probably has no chance to happen, but I do like the idea of Richardson as an ILB.
uffda udfa  
#67 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 9:09:58 PM(UTC)
I love the size, speed and aggressiveness of Richardson but he's a hitter and not a player. Like Texas said... can't cover a jar. It's great when it's a run play...he'll excel. When it's a pass, it's MD Jennings time all over again but worse.

Guy doesn't belong in the NFL if he can't make plays in the pass game.
blueleopard  
#68 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 9:19:09 PM(UTC)
Richardson is Atari Bigby 2.0.
DoddPower  
#69 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:10:49 AM(UTC)
Yeah, I'm still seeing the same thing from Richardson I have always seen. A decent in the box safety that is below average in coverage, which is the attribute I value the most in a safety. He should be a decent back up, but I hope he never has to start and play a whole game. Dude will get shredded in the passing game by a good quarterback. A rotation of Hyde, Richardson, and Dix may be able to work, though.
sschind  
#70 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:15:46 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I'm still seeing the same thing from Richardson I have always seen. A decent in the box safety that is below average in coverage, which is the attribute I value the most in a safety. He should be a decent back up, but I hope he never has to start and play a whole game. Dude will get shredded in the passing game by a good quarterback. A rotation of Hyde, Richardson, and Dix may be able to work, though.

No one wants the backups to have to start and play the whole game but that's what they may be called on to do. If he is and you wouldn't want him to be I wouldn't call him decent.

Sounds like see ya later to me.
Zero2Cool  
#71 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:04:38 PM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post
Richardson is Atari Bigby 2.0.

If it's the Bigby from the Seatle Seahawks "Snowbowl" game. I. down.
DoddPower  
#72 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:21:50 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
No one wants the backups to have to start and play the whole game but that's what they may be called on to do. If he is and you wouldn't want him to be I wouldn't call him decent.

Sounds like see ya later to me.

Well, I was trying to be nice. Plus, some backups are better than others. I feel like Richardson will be a huge liability anytime he is on the field and the opponent is throwing the ball. But he is a hitter and can play the run pretty well, so I'd still have to call him a decent backup. But probably not a good backup. There's no reason to believe he can't or won't improve, but he just seems to stiff to me. With a great pass rush, it could work out.
steveishere  
#73 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:52:35 AM(UTC)
Richardson has been in coverage on pass plays 44 times this preseason and allowed 2 catches for 27 total yards. That added to the fact that most of the time you can't even see the safeties on the broadcast I don't really get where people are saying he has looked bad or terrible in coverage. Also during training camp he seems like the only one whose been able to get any interceptions. It seems most of the criticism is coming from preconceived notions about his ability and not any actual evidence.
DarkaneRules  
#74 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:03:23 AM(UTC)
Sometimes not calling a safeties name is a good thing. I think there is a culture expecting the defense to get an intercept almost every play or something.
DoddPower  
#75 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:00:06 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Richardson has been in coverage on pass plays 44 times this preseason and allowed 2 catches for 27 total yards. That added to the fact that most of the time you can't even see the safeties on the broadcast I don't really get where people are saying he has looked bad or terrible in coverage. Also during training camp he seems like the only one whose been able to get any interceptions. It seems most of the criticism is coming from preconceived notions about his ability and not any actual evidence.

Most of my perceptions are from his time at Vandy. I think he got an interception there once.
beast  
#76 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:54:37 PM(UTC)
To me Richardson and Hyde are sort of opposite in their coverage skills...

Hyde can twist and turn with great stop and start skills and quickness to boot but struggles with pure straight line speed. Like a little supped up car that can handle with the best of them and turn on a dime but doesn't have the huge speed engine.

Richardson on the other hand has the pure straight line speed but he struggles to keep the speed up on turns and start and stopping. Like a drag racer car that's only set up going to go straight and struggles with the curve roads.

Richardson not being able to handle curves nearly as well and his tight hips are always going to hurt him in coverage. But I think he might have more potential as well in different type roles. Such as maybe as a coverage ILB... or maybe a single deep zone FS role... yes I said FS and I know some might think I'm crazy but let me explain.

I think Richardson would struggled with a man to man FS role as I'm sure most of you would as well... but as a single deep Safety in a deep zone roll (which GB hasn't used a lot recently), the FS mainly hang back and wait for the QB to throw it and use their pure speed to get over to the ball or WR and take it out like a missile.... Richardson has the speed and the missile part down already and basically the deep zone FS is like a speed demon LB, which Richardson is.

Of course like I said I haven't seen Capers use much of it lately... as they prefer two Safeties normal depth Safeties... but the Packers have done the single deep Safety role in the past with the Packers.

It was a 2-4 nickel defense... where both OLBers moved up to the DL and Nick Collins moved up to the ILBers making it look like a 4-3 looking set up with 3 CBs and one deep Safety. I think Richardson might be able to play the deep Safety or the Safety that lined up with the LB there.

But again Capers doesn't use the single deep zone FS role a lot... so that's probably off the table from simple not using it enough.

DarkaneRules  
#77 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:35:41 PM(UTC)
You're the best beast!
sschind  
#78 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:54:25 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
To me Richardson and Hyde are sort of opposite in their coverage skills...

Hyde can twist and turn with great stop and start skills and quickness to boot but struggles with pure straight line speed. Like a little supped up car that can handle with the best of them and turn on a dime but doesn't have the huge speed engine.

Richardson on the other hand has the pure straight line speed but he struggles to keep the speed up on turns and start and stopping. Like a drag racer car that's only set up going to go straight and struggles with the curve roads.

Richardson not being able to handle curves nearly as well and his tight hips are always going to hurt him in coverage. But I think he might have more potential as well in different type roles. Such as maybe as a coverage ILB... or maybe a single deep zone FS role... yes I said FS and I know some might think I'm crazy but let me explain.

I think Richardson would struggled with a man to man FS role as I'm sure most of you would as well... but as a single deep Safety in a deep zone roll (which GB hasn't used a lot recently), the FS mainly hang back and wait for the QB to throw it and use their pure speed to get over to the ball or WR and take it out like a missile.... Richardson has the speed and the missile part down already and basically the deep zone FS is like a speed demon LB, which Richardson is.

Of course like I said I haven't seen Capers use much of it lately... as they prefer two Safeties normal depth Safeties... but the Packers have done the single deep Safety role in the past with the Packers.

It was a 2-4 nickel defense... where both OLBers moved up to the DL and Nick Collins moved up to the ILBers making it look like a 4-3 looking set up with 3 CBs and one deep Safety. I think Richardson might be able to play the deep Safety or the Safety that lined up with the LB there.

But again Capers doesn't use the single deep zone FS role a lot... so that's probably off the table from simple not using it enough.

You mean Richardsons and Hydes right.[grin1]

Zero2Cool  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:52:22 AM(UTC)
Seems like the Safeties coach is on board, are you?

Darren Perry said:
Sean's been consistent and has probably had the most splash plays of anyone in the group. He's playing with a lot more confidence than I've ever seen him have, and he's playing with lower pad level. When you're a big safety like that and you stand tall you look a little slow.
DoddPower  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:00:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Seems like the Safeties coach is on board, are you?

I'll be "on board" when I see him consistently making plays in the regular season. Until then, a quote from any coach, player, or general manager means very little to me. Hopefully at minimum they utilize him effectively in certain packages designed to best-utilize his skill-set.
Rss Feed