You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sschind  
#46 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:54:18 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
What does it mean to outcoach someone? HOw do you KNOW that M.M. was "outcoached" or how would you know if he "outcoached" someone else?

most of the time being outcoached is a direct correlation to the final score. If you don't like your coach and he loses he was outcoached. If you don't like the other team's coach and he loses he was outcoached. It doesn't always work in reverse though. if you don't like your coach and the team wins it's never because the other guy was outcoached. its always because your favorite player stepped up or played his usual awesome game.

Other times when coaches are outcoached. When your team loses and your favorite player plays like shit but you don't want to admit it the coach was outcoached.

When you make stupid bragging claims all week long about how your team is going to kick the other teams ass then the opposite happens the coach was outcoached.

When you win a game against a team coached by someone you hate he was outcoached.

In a way it is a lot like a bad call and it is extremely subjective.
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 1/9/2014(UTC), steveishere on 1/9/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#47 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:32:51 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 114

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
most of the time being outcoached is a direct correlation to the final score. If you don't like your coach and he loses he was outcoached. If you don't like the other team's coach and he loses he was outcoached. It doesn't always work in reverse though. if you don't like your coach and the team wins it's never because the other guy was outcoached. its always because your favorite player stepped up or played his usual awesome game.

Other times when coaches are outcoached. When your team loses and your favorite player plays like shit but you don't want to admit it the coach was outcoached.

When you make stupid bragging claims all week long about how your team is going to kick the other teams ass then the opposite happens the coach was outcoached.

When you win a game against a team coached by someone you hate he was outcoached.

In a way it is a lot like a bad call and it is extremely subjective.

Gus Malzahn outcoached Jimbo Fisher for 59:45 on Monday...but Jimbo won, and for the most part Jameis Winston played poorly. This highly scientific/objective process of determining who outcoached who on Monday suddenly has turned into...
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#48 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:39:07 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Agreed 100%

however, just toBeating Deadhorse it sure seems like it's hard to make the case for M.M. being "outcoached" and routinely "shitting himself" every single game since 2006.

I'm starting to think he chokes, and if it wasn't for a game saving shoe string tackle on Desean Jackson by Desmond Bishop; I'd know he chokes.
UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#49 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:42:37 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 215

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
That said, McCarthy is not above criticism when he, to quote my grasshopper Nerdman, "Shits Himself"! McCarthy has won a Super Bowl, but he isn't a demigod. Holmgren won a Super Bowl too, but I've still never forgiven him for taking the ball out of the hands of Levens in SB XXXII.

I don't disagree and there are things about McCarthy I will criticize. For one, I think he is loyal to a fault: see James Campen for exhibit A. That said, you don't end up with a better winning percentage than Curly Lambeau purely on the back of a HOF QB; he must be doing something right.

For the record, I've never forgiven Holmgren for Super Bowl XXXII either. Not knowing the down, Antonio Freeman was dehydrated from the beginning of the game, Hentrich was probably drunk, the failure to utilize Levens adequately, and so on. Then if I recall correctly he blames it on Favre after the game (who was not the problem). The kicker for me was cursing at that fan at Lambeau at that night game against the Eagles. That was unacceptable. Period. He's the reason why I hate Seattle; I was so thrilled karma came back his way in that Super Bowl against the Steelers.

But I digress. Is McCarthy the best coach in the league? No. He's not elite like a Bill Belichick is. But he's a good coach and we could do a whole hell of a lot worse; most teams do.
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 1/9/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 1/10/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#50 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:11:18 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
I don't disagree and there are things about McCarthy I will criticize. For one, I think he is loyal to a fault: see James Campen for exhibit A. That said, you don't end up with a better winning percentage than Curly Lambeau purely on the back of a HOF QB; he must be doing something right.

For the record, I've never forgiven Holmgren for Super Bowl XXXII either. Not knowing the down, Antonio Freeman was dehydrated from the beginning of the game, Hentrich was probably drunk, the failure to utilize Levens adequately, and so on. Then if I recall correctly he blames it on Favre after the game (who was not the problem). The kicker for me was cursing at that fan at Lambeau at that night game against the Eagles. That was unacceptable. Period. He's the reason why I hate Seattle; I was so thrilled karma came back his way in that Super Bowl against the Steelers.

But I digress. Is McCarthy the best coach in the league? No. He's not elite like a Bill Belichick is. But he's a good coach and we could do a whole hell of a lot worse; most teams do.

I've often wondered what we'd be today had we hired Sean Payton instead. I think he has more imagination in his play calling.
UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#51 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:41:31 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 215

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I've often wondered what we'd be today had we hired Sean Payton instead. I think he has more imagination in his play calling.

Agreed. If I recall correctly, there was quite a bit of coaching movement that year (more than usual). He was the one that moved semi-recently that I feel would have been an upgrade. Not a massive upgrade, mind you, but an upgrade nonetheless.

On the flip side, we could've had Brad Childress Puke Anxious
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline DakotaT  
#52 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:51:06 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Agreed. If I recall correctly, there was quite a bit of coaching movement that year (more than usual). He was the one that moved semi-recently that I feel would have been an upgrade. Not a massive upgrade, mind you, but an upgrade nonetheless.

On the flip side, we could've had Brad Childress Puke Anxious

I think God ordained that Brad not take the flight to Green Bay.
UserPostedImage