buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I doubt anyone is panicking. So you don;t have to worry about that.

I thought there were suppose to be changes made after last season. If they did make changes they were not for the better.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I just always go back to the point of the season where The Packers were 5-2 and everyone was discussing whether they coud run the table, The Offense was clicking, The defense was playing well, even though some of the injuries had already started to happen.

The team all of a sudden didn't "forget" how to play ball, the coaches didn't "forget how to coach, The Organization itself didn't "forget" how to be successful.
There just comes a point where injuries cannot be overcome. The Packers hit that point when Rodgers went down then Walllace, then ect, ect ect.

My panic comment is "tounge in cheek" not a whole lot is going to happen until after early February.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
It is much easier to be an elite team, when you are not paying your elite players the big money. Once you start dumping between 1/5 and 1/4 of your available money on two positions, there is less money left to pay the rest of the team. A few years ago we had what many considered the deepest receiving group, because of salary concerns we don't any longer.

Defensively I think we have been hurt by injuries of our young players coming in. Those young players have lost much time in what should have been their development years that they are behind the curve. Getting those players especially those up front to full speed and meeting their potential will be key for the next couple years. We need to be getting production out of these players before it is time to pay them.

With the players on the team now, I don't think we are far from being Elite again. Get decent improvement from D.Jones and Perry, with continued growth of Daniels, Boyd and production from Worthy return. Keep Shields along with Tramon, and grow Hyde, Hayward and House.

Offensively, improve the Oline and keep restocking the WR position, keep Quarless and grow Bostick, with Rodgers and Lacy that side of the ball should be OK.

If we can keep having our bad years be 1st round playoff loses, I can handle it.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I just always go back to the point of the season where The Packers were 5-2 and everyone was discussing whether they coud run the table, The Offense was clicking, The defense was playing well, even though some of the injuries had already started to happen.

The team all of a sudden didn't "forget" how to play ball, the coaches didn't "forget how to coach, The Organization itself didn't "forget" how to be successful.
There just comes a point where injuries cannot be overcome. The Packers hit that point when Rodgers went down then Walllace, then ect, ect ect.

My panic comment is "tounge in cheek" not a whole lot is going to happen until after early February.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yes I know you were tongue in cheek. I was just giving it to you a little bit.

As far as being 5-2, like McGinn says with an elite QB like Rodgers any team can be 8-8. The play of Aaron hid the deficiencies of the first 7 games. They were there and came to light after his injury. After the injuries to other key players. Which means the organization payed lip serve to making changes.

Changes start in the front office and the coaching staff. There were none on their own. They only replaced people as they left to seek employment elsewhere. The OL has been and is horrible. Pack93z has a better understanding of the OL than I ever will. He has been hollering for a new line coach for at least 5 years. If a fan who is sitting on the outside can recognize a serious problem why can't Ted and Mike? Loyalty is great but Campen has been given more than enough time to right the ship and he has failed to do so.

I blame the OL for Aaron's injury. If there was an impregnable wall in front of Aaron he wouldn't have been sacked. GB wouldn't have lost all those game and they might have gotten the bye instead of Carolina. They might have beaten SF this past weekend with a stout OL.

Of course there was no change in the Secondary that they desperately needed. Well I am not going to continue to go on with all the changes they didn't make. there are holes to fill in and I would like to see them start to fill the holes.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

A few years ago we had what many considered the deepest receiving group, because of salary concerns we don't any longer.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

It is not that the rest of your post doesn't merit comment I was thinking about the WR this morning before work.

A team needs an above average WR. Mandatory.
A team should have two. Very helpful.
A team with 3 above average WR is a luxury. It is nice to have but not required.
A team DOES NOT need 4 or 5 above average WR. It actually can be a waste of resources.

If the 4-5th receivers are at league minimums fine. But most of the time they don't use 4 WR formations so at least 1 player is standing on the sidelines being unproductive. Yes injuries can be a factor but you don't sign 4 elite WR because of injury concerns.

Aaron like other elite QBs make average WR into above average players. Give me a couple of outstanding WR with a solid possession receiver to back them up. A good TE and an above average RB and you will go far. With Aaron that is. Spend the money on the OL and defense.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I'm not much of a McGinn fan. (Actually, I'm not a McGinn fan at all.)

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Me too. I've hated McGinn from way back.

I hate to say anything favorable about Ted Thompson - for reasons I've repeated many times. Just the same, all those alternatives - the teams in our division McGinn talks glowingly about, the hot and cold up and down teams like K.C., Seattle, and Arizona, etc. are NOT what I want to see from the Packers. We have STABILITY at or very near the top. Yes, of course, a very large part of that is the massive good fortune of having the world's greatest QB - despite the idiocy spewed by at least one poster here about that bogus hold it too long thing.

We do, in fact, just need some fine tuning/tweaking of problem areas. Unfortunately, our resident tweeker/GM hasn't done that for several years, and has either drafted poorly or had bad luck - take your pick - besides.

If all we want is an "elite" regular season record, we got it now - all we need is for Aaron Rodgers to stay healthy. If we want to be better than pretty much ANYBODY else, we are maybe an OLB and a Safety away from that too. Forget the mediocre O-Line; Forget the lame talent at ILB; Settle for what Morgan Burnett brings to the table when healthy; Go with what we have in house - minus Raji and Pickett of course. If we fixed or got lucky in all those areas, the Packers would be a super team and the rest of the league would be whining to break up our dynasty.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago
We were 5-2, but it was an UGLY 5-2.

This team shit itself early, but was rebounding like it always does.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
10 years ago
Bob McGinn has covered the Packers for along time and has built relations within 1265. He wrote around a month back that he suspects the Packers will test free agency this off-season. That caught my attention because I hardly doubt he'd put that out there if somebody inside didn't give him information.

Nevertheless, I also found it amusing that the guy who said Green Bay could win 10 or 11 games without Aaron Rodgers is penning one of his harshest critiques of the organization in years. Also, prior to the season, he thought enough of the Packers to suggest they were going to make a deep playoff run.

Where's the accountability?

This team isn’t far away from returning to the Super Bowl. They need to continue to develop their young players, get healthy, and stop boycotting free agency. I like Thompson’s cautious approach to free agency. It's better than believing we're always just one player away. However, the Packers act as if their salary cap situation is what it was under Mike Sherman. It’s not. It’s in relatively good shape.

Many inside and outside of 1265 are guilty of overrating Green Bay’s talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe that’s why McGinn is being so harsh. Rodgers’ absence opened the door for Thompson, McCarthy, and the coaches to get a better read on this team. For example, how does the defense play without a lead? Maybe now we’ll see something bolder in the draft or free agency. I’d prefer the latter.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Bob McGinn has covered the Packers for along time and has built relations within 1265. He wrote around a month back that he suspects the Packers will test free agency this off-season. That caught my attention because I hardly doubt he'd put that out there if somebody inside didn't give him information.

Nevertheless, I also found it amusing that the guy who said Green Bay could win 10 or 11 games without Aaron Rodgers is penning one of his harshest critiques of the organization in years. Also, prior to the season, he thought enough of the Packers to suggest they were going to make a deep playoff run.

Where's the accountability?

This team isn’t far away from returning to the Super Bowl. They need to continue to develop their young players, get healthy, and stop boycotting free agency. I like Thompson’s cautious approach to free agency. It's better than believing we're always just one player away. However, the Packers act as if their salary cap situation is what it was under Mike Sherman. It’s not. It’s in relatively good shape.

Many inside and outside of 1265 are guilty of overrating Green Bay’s talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe that’s why McGinn is being so harsh. Rodgers’ absence opened the door for Thompson, McCarthy, and the coaches to get a better read on this team. For example, how does the defense play without a lead? Maybe now we’ll see something bolder in the draft or free agency. I’d prefer the latter.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Good Analysis. There's a fine line between righting the ship and rocking the boat.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
10 years ago
The expectation of sustained success is usually placed on team by the feeling of entitlement from the fan-base, and with good reason.

The thing is, 31 other teams (arguably 30, Dallas :P) are trying to win the bowl game, and each team has to try and do it a different way because the playing chips are different for each organisation.

I think it's too early to say the Packers' are slipping - a quick look at the top tier teams in the NFL (Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots, Broncos) and it's evident that there is no need for panic, a massive rebuild or anything of the sort.

Out of those four teams, only the Patriots can stake claim to sustained success over a decade. The other three teams have gone through dark periods, and with upcoming moves on the business side of things, you can bet on atleast one of these teams taking a step backward in the next few years.

Our team isn't built to win the way Seattle or San Fran do, it's built to win like the Broncos do, similar to the way Indy was built when Manning was there. This year was the first where the prospect of playing without your core was exposed, and luckily it wasn't for a full season (Colts 2-14 year). I fully expect Ted, Mike et al to recognize this and try their level best to ensure that we can still compete without our starting quarterback.

I have faith that even though we have had a rocky few years during clutch time, we will improve and we will return to the summit of the elite. Possibly in eight months time.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
steveishere
10 years ago

Out of those four teams, only the Patriots can stake claim to sustained success over a decade. The other three teams have gone through dark periods, and with upcoming moves on the business side of things, you can bet on atleast one of these teams taking a step backward in the next few years.

Originally Posted by: VinceLambeauStarr 

Thing is even the Patriots recently had a 3 year stretch without winning a playoff game. It's not uncommon even if you have an elite QB and coaching staff.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.