QCHuskerFan
10 years ago
I am not big on blame. Doesn't really matter what we think anyway.

Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks.

Neal, Jones, Hawk, Perry.

There's a good chance that none of our starting LB's from the playoff game would even make the 49er's roster. Perry would be the likely possibility, based solely on his talent being good enough to warrant a 1st rd pick.

McDonald, Dorsey, Smith

Pickett, Raji, Daniels

Same story. See the disruption/ penetration from the DL against Seattle?

Reid, Whitner.

Burnett, Anybody.

Same story. Their safeties made some plays. At the line and in the backfield. Gave some up also, but so do ours.

Rogers, Brown, Brock, Wright

Williams, Shields, Hyde and House.

Ok. Packers win this area. Our CB's are a pretty special group.

But to compare lineups, the 49er's are a more talented group in 3 of 4 areas. Dramatically so in 2, LB and Safety.

Many wish to fire Capers. But let's pretend and try swapping Capers and 49ers DC Fangio. Who do you think would have the better D? I think Capers would have the best D handsdown. Better players= Better D.
play2win
10 years ago

I am not big on blame. Doesn't really matter what we think anyway.

Smith, Bowman, Willis, Brooks.

Neal, Jones, Hawk, Perry.

There's a good chance that none of our starting LB's from the playoff game would even make the 49er's roster. Perry would be the likely possibility, based solely on his talent being good enough to warrant a 1st rd pick.

McDonald, Dorsey, Smith

Pickett, Raji, Daniels

Same story. See the disruption/ penetration from the DL against Seattle?

Reid, Whitner.

Burnett, Anybody.

Same story. Their safeties made some plays. At the line and in the backfield. Gave some up also, but so do ours.

Rogers, Brown, Brock, Wright

Williams, Shields, Hyde and House.

Ok. Packers win this area. Our CB's are a pretty special group.

But to compare lineups, the 49er's are a more talented group in 3 of 4 areas. Dramatically so in 2, LB and Safety.

Many wish to fire Capers. But let's pretend and try swapping Capers and 49ers DC Fangio. Who do you think would have the better D? I think Capers would have the best D handsdown. Better players= Better D.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

It is a real selling point in the argument QCHuskerFan. I agree with you 100%.

For instance, I like to think how dramatically our defense would change with the additions of Jairus Byrd and Brian Orakpo… a healthy Nick Perry and Clay Matthews. Maybe adding a top MLB in the draft. I bet Dom Capers could do quite a lot of good with that kind of talent on his defense. Talent that has been missing for years, either through injury, or personnel mismanagement.

I'm going to throw one other thing out there, because I'd like to know what others here think: Nate McMillian. What the hell happened to him? He showed some promise as a rookie, nabbed a couple of picks and hit hard. His second season was a turbo flush down the toilet. I always thought he was at the very least better than MD Jennings. I wonder what the real story is behind his cutting in mid season.

On this point, I wonder if Capers is too stuck in his ways. He considered Jennings to be a veteran player. Jennings sucked. At least McMillian showed some promise last season. With Safety being such an important position, how did Capers let this position go so horribly wrong? We all saw the same kind of philosophy in play with Datone Jones, who got just 16 snaps in our final 3 games combined! He only averaged a little over 14 snaps per game. Never once saw more than 23 in a game, and rarely played in our 3-4! If these guys don't play, they don't learn with real game experience, they don't develop. How is he supposed to develop as a 3-4 DE when you don't play him there?

This, to me, is the crux of the biscuit when it comes to Green Bay's problems on defense. Dom Capers will play lesser talents, with less upside, simply because they are more veteran to his system. That goes against the "draft and develop" philosophy this team is built on under Ted Thompson. In this regard, I think Dom Capers can and should be called out. I think he needs to make some very big changes in the manner in which he handles our players, or he should be out.

Under your scenario, QCHuskerFan, of swapping out DCs, would Fangio do a better job of developing our talent? Would he put our current players in better positions, allow them better opportunities for success? I think he might. It would be interesting to see what another DC might do with what Dom has had to work with, and how he would adjust his surrounding staff.

Two more resounding pieces of the puzzle in player development failures are B J Raji and Morgan Burnett. We could add Davon House as a third. WTF Dom? In this, I do believe he does deserve blame. Epic failures in developing his players.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Two more resounding pieces of the puzzle in player development failures are B J Raji and Morgan Burnett. We could add Davon House as a third. WTF Dom? In this, I do believe he does deserve blame. Epic failures in developing his players.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't think your examples of player development failure are a fair analogy. Certainly none of them are 'epic'.

Raji- Best year was rookie year. 1st rd pick so he knew he wasn't going anywhere. Anybody ever worked with an Owner's child in a business? I see Raji as lazy and unmotivated. There is not always a magic coaching button for this.

Burnett- If we had been polled last year at this time, Burnett wouldn't have been an example for you. He improved tremendously over his first 3 years. He was looked to as one of the real playmakers on the D going into 2014. Then this year happened. We may never know how much his injury set him back or if the lack of talent around him destroyed his year. But he has certainly developed positively since year 1.

House- Ok. He's not Richard Sherman. But his tackles have gone up over the last 3 years. Passes defensed has gone up. He has become a reliable and good special teamer. He's not a lock down CB. But pretty decent performance for a 4th rd pick.

Examples you might use for Dom's failures would be Guy, McMillian, Wilson, and Neal. But for every failure, you have a success like Shields, Hayward, Daniels, Lattimore, and Tramon Williams.

I believe our coaching staff has as many successes as failures. And all staffs have some 'failures'. Where our staff is challenged is health.
steveishere
10 years ago
The thing I don't get about Burnett is for like 3 games after he came back from his injury he was playing well and was an obvious boost for the defense. Then starting around the Minnesota game he just fell apart for the rest of the year. If anyone has the ability to watch any games watch him against Baltimore. If we had that Burnett all year he would have had a great season.
nerdmann
10 years ago

The thing I don't get about Burnett is for like 3 games after he came back from his injury he was playing well and was an obvious boost for the defense. Then starting around the Minnesota game he just fell apart for the rest of the year. If anyone has the ability to watch any games watch him against Baltimore. If we had that Burnett all year he would have had a great season.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I honestly think he's having to cover for mistakes made by others.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

UserPostedImage
68md
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Dick L is not going to give you an objective opinion on Capers.. in fact that whole article was a fluff piece praising Capers.

All of you ask yourself this..... has our defense been good enough to win a super bowl the last 2 years ?

If the answer is no then you would think that some major changes take place and yet MM/TT more or less stay staus quo 🤔

If Mike McCarthy team goal is to win a SB yet you know your defense isn't good enough to do so something is very very wrong from the top down. Two Cents
nerdmann
10 years ago

Dick L is not going to give you an objective opinion on Capers.. in fact that whole article was a fluff piece praising Capers.

All of you ask yourself this..... has our defense been good enough to win a super bowl the last 2 years ?

If the answer is no then you would think that some major changes take place and yet MM/TT more or less stay staus quo 🤔

If Mike McCarthy team goal is to win a SB yet you know your defense isn't good enough to do so something is very very wrong from the top down. Two Cents

Originally Posted by: 68md 

There has been nothing but Capers defending puff pieces and Ted Blame since we as fans started calling Dom out. The media form a circle around Dom like the mainstream press did around Bush during the Iraq War.

That's what the rest of us are for. Engaging in free speech.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

There has been nothing but Capers defending puff pieces and Ted Blame since we as fans started calling Dom out. The media form a circle around Dom like the mainstream press did around Bush during the Iraq War.

That's what the rest of us are for. Engaging in free speech.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'll leave the politics alone, since you wimped out of those discussions a long time ago, but on the football side:

As Husker's post above illustrates, the Packers D personnel stacks up poorly with the Niners. You could do a similar comparison with virtually all of the contending teams a some of the lesser ones, and it would come out the same. THAT is what Ted has provided for Capers to work with. And as I've said MANY times, we would really be S.O.L. if we had to play teams straight up with plain vanilla D. Capers schemes have at least partially compensated for the talent deficit.

As for the media, it seems that they are just waking up to Thompson's GM deficiencies as a result of exposure when Rodgers was out. Really, though, this poor D thing has been coming on for years.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DakotaT
10 years ago
Our defense needs to replace its lazy turd, old declining guy, and piece of dog shit that we trot out their and pass them off as capable starters in this league. The other 8 players are capable defenders. Out of the 8, you have 2 legitimate All Pro players albeit one of them is a free agent. Our defenses problem has more to do with gaping holes than it does anything else.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.