Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 6:44:08 AM(UTC)
In addition to below, sounds like Jarius Byrd will be playing elsewhere. Ted Thompson will have to sign him to save his job.

source said:
Safety Jairus Byrd, a pending free agent who played under the franchise tag in 2013, declined to answer several questions posed by Tim Graham of the Buffalo News.

Here’s the exchange:

Graham: “What was your gut reaction to hearing Pettine had gotten the Browns job?”

Byrd: “I’d really rather not answer that.”

Graham: “You’re entering your sixth season, and the Bills will have their fifth defensive coordinator. What are your thoughts on that?”

Byrd [ laughing ]: “Same as the last one. I won’t answer that one.”

Graham: “How will Pettine’s departure impact the likelihood you’ll return to the Bills?”

Byrd [laughing harder]: “You’re oh for three.”
play2win  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 8:14:18 AM(UTC)
How would Byrd look in a Packers uniform? Pretty damn good to me! I hope it happens, but have many doubts, unfortunately. To me, Ted signing Jairus Byrd would be on much the same level as his signing of Woodson, or Ron Wolf's signing of Eugene Robinson in terms of positive impact to this Packers team. A real "need" position if there ever was one, and I would prefer it filled with a still young, but proven veteran, with lots of upside. The kind of move that helps win championships.

It would be expensive, but I believe it may be worth the financial risk. Byrd is a proven commodity at FS, and he would instantly make our defense better IMO.
cheeseheads123  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:11:31 AM(UTC)
I was expecting to see Byrd photoshopped in green and gold.Crying
Mucky Tundra  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:16:12 AM(UTC)
TBH, thinking about Byrd in a Packers uniform is just teasing yourself
Yerko  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 1:46:27 PM(UTC)
Since he is looking to be the highest paid safety in the game, I'd say pass. The defense needs much more than a safety to be successful.
PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 1:47:53 PM(UTC)
I don't think he would look much better than what we have if the defensive front doesn't get pressure on opposing QBs. We have seen in the past in GB what a good secondary looks like when the QB can sit back and pick where to go with the ball. If SEA isn't able to get a Peyton we will likely see it in the SB.

play2win  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:08:30 PM(UTC)
Yerko said: Go to Quoted Post
Since he is looking to be the highest paid safety in the game, I'd say pass. The defense needs much more than a safety to be successful.

Respectfully Yerko, isn't that the same kind of thinking that has precluded us from adding ANY top FA talent on this team since 2006? Eight years without a top FA acquisition?

I would rather pop on a talent that is known as one of the best in the NFL, then stack our picks at other positions of need, DL, OLB, ILB, WR, OT… Also, I would rather pay for one known top talent to address a position of need all-out vs. keeping 4-6 mid-level to lower-level talents on our roster, ones who have not been producing for us: Raji, Neal, James Jones, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly, CJ Wilson, Marshall Newhouse, MD Jennings, Robert Francois, Jermichael Finley. Granted, not all of those players listed are mid-lower level talents, but the scales have tipped on many in terms of age and contract #s to make them lesser values at this point in time.

I'd much rather draft a NT like Nix in R1, knowing we have a player like Byrd signed at S, then hit a ILB in R2, OLB R3, etc should they fall that way. Or, I'd rather have that need addressed so there might be a complete comfort level in drafting a top WR in R1… Imagine.

I can see us lining up with 4 wide, using Jordy, Cobb, Boykin and a 6'5" Mike Evans, or a 6'3" Jordan Matthews (an SEC record setting 9 100 yd games last season)… and not having to worry about our S position. At all. A proven vet back there who also happens to be one of the NFL's best Safeties. Why not?

Sign him and pay the man. Just what we need. It actually IS about freaking time...
PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:34:55 PM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Respectfully Yerko, isn't that the same kind of thinking that has precluded us from adding ANY top FA talent on this team since 2006? Eight years without a top FA acquisition?

I would rather pop on a talent that is known as one of the best in the NFL, then stack our picks at other positions of need, DL, OLB, ILB, WR, OT… Also, I would rather pay for one known top talent to address a position of need all-out vs. keeping 4-6 mid-level to lower-level talents on our roster, ones who have not been producing for us: Raji, Neal, James Jones, Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly, CJ Wilson, Marshall Newhouse, MD Jennings, Robert Francois, Jermichael Finley. Granted, not all of those players listed are mid-lower level talents, but the scales have tipped on many in terms of age and contract #s to make them lesser values at this point in time.

I'd much rather draft a NT like Nix in R1, knowing we have a player like Byrd signed at S, then hit a ILB in R2, OLB R3, etc should they fall that way. Or, I'd rather have that need addressed so there might be a complete comfort level in drafting a top WR in R1… Imagine.

I can see us lining up with 4 wide, using Jordy, Cobb, Boykin and a 6'5" Mike Evans, or a 6'3" Jordan Matthews (an SEC record setting 9 100 yd games last season)… and not having to worry about our S position. At all. A proven vet back there who also happens to be one of the NFL's best Safeties. Why not?

Sign him and pay the man. Just what we need. It actually IS about freaking time...

Do you think we have the talent to win if we signed and Paid Bryd? Because doing so would be pretty close to pushing all in. The combined Rodgers, Matthews, Bryd and Shields contracts would make it pretty difficult going forward keeping our FA like Jordy, Tramon. It would really strap the team for a few years where we would really depend on rookies and first contract players to fill in the other positions.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:53:21 PM(UTC)
First and foremost is signing Shields. Then we can think about other guys. Actually I'd rather grab a second tier free agent safety, hopefully with a high football acumen. I'm tired of watching morons miss their assignments with receivers running wide open all over the field.

Sometimes I think we should just load up our offense more and have track meets. We have had a very disappointing defense for too long to think signing someone like Byrd would change anything.
Yerko  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:56:51 PM(UTC)

If you sign a guy like Byrd, what are you going to do the following season when Cobb and Jordy are up for contracts?

Why not try to go after someone who might cost a little less? T.J. Ward. Comes from a 3-4 system.
play2win  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:57:52 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
Do you think we have the talent to win if we signed and Paid Bryd? Because doing so would be pretty close to pushing all in. The combined Rodgers, Matthews, Bryd and Shields contracts would make it pretty difficult going forward keeping our FA like Jordy, Tramon. It would really strap the team for a few years where we would really depend on rookies and first contract players to fill in the other positions.

Haven't we been doing just that very same thing for years? That's all I can recall is counting on rookies and first contract players, since 2010 for sure.

We are long overdue for addressing Safety. I don't want to have to count on a rookie. We can afford Shields, and Jordy. Maybe next years we part with Williams.

Cut the chaff that is marginal talent, and start adding better players. I'm done with a system that rewards mediocrity, aka Brad Jones and Mike Neal. Neither have lived up to their contracts. Cut that away and add better talent.

Why re-sign a player like MD Jennings? Why? For what purpose? He has NO coverage skills. He and players like him have been a big part of the problem in GB.

Start adding top vets who know how to prepare and know how to get the job done. Show the younger guys the way.

I like Richardson, but he could be our 3rd Safety.
nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 3:16:36 PM(UTC)
Hyde's gonna be fine at S.
PackFanWithTwins  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:00:09 PM(UTC)
Haven't we been doing just that very same thing for years? That's all I can recall is counting on rookies and first contract players, since 2010 for sure.

We are long overdue for addressing Safety. I don't want to have to count on a rookie. We can afford Shields, and Jordy. Maybe next years we part with Williams.

Cut the chaff that is marginal talent, and start adding better players. I'm done with a system that rewards mediocrity, aka Brad Jones and Mike Neal. Neither have lived up to their contracts. Cut that away and add better talent.

Why re-sign a player like MD Jennings? Why? For what purpose? He has NO coverage skills. He and players like him have been a big part of the problem in GB.

Start adding top vets who know how to prepare and know how to get the job done. Show the younger guys the way.

I like Richardson, but he could be our 3rd Safety.

I see two times to use FA. To sign a couple players when starting a building process. Or to fill the final holes to push the team over the top. I'm certain we are not starting a build, and I am not sure we are in position where the signing is what we need to push us over the top. It would all depend on the dline and if the youngsters we have drafted upfront don't get the job done, this signing would be a waste.

I think we might be in a better position next year for a big move like this.
dhazer  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 6:48:02 PM(UTC)
I was watching highlights of the pro bowl safeties and I noticed they tend to blitz and sack the qb, I am trying to think if we actually blitzed our safeties at all this year? Remember when we used to play our safety at the line of scrimmage aka Leroy Butler.
sschind  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:51:28 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Hyde's gonna be fine at S.

People keep saying that and it may make sense but have the Packers even said they were going to move him? Until the move is done or at least announce it I think it is kind of ridiculous to keep saying Hyde's gonna be fine at S. and leave it at that.

buckeyepackfan  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 8:18:20 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
People keep saying that and it may make sense but have the Packers even said they were going to move him? Until the move is done or at least announce it I think it is kind of ridiculous to keep saying Hyde's gonna be fine at S. and leave it at that.

Burnette and Richardson will probably have the inside track at starting next year.
Both are still under contract.

Have to watch what Ted does with Banjo and Jennings, he brings them back and there's a pretty good chance Hyde will stay at corner.

Lot of people want Ted to go get a safety in FA, but I just don't see where the money is going to come from.

Burnette had a down year, doesn't mean next year won't be different.

Richardson showed some flashes after he finally got back on the field.

Banjo will probably get signed(won't cost much).

I guess we will all just have to wait and see about Jennings.

I can see Ted grabbing 1 maybe even 2 safeties in the draft, but really don't want to have to depend on them to start.
musccy  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:23:41 PM(UTC)
I think Byrd will look very expensive. Like buckeye said, where is the money to sign Byrd, Shields, this draft class, and retain at least a few Packer FAs from this year's team going to come from?
nerdmann  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:35:11 PM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
I think Byrd will look very expensive. Like buckeye said, where is the money to sign Byrd, Shields, this draft class, and retain at least a few Packer FAs from this year's team going to come from?

Sign whoever you want. If he sits on the sideline with a hammy, he's not gonna do us much good.

Could we upgrade our players? Sure, especially at this position. But it's not the fundamental issue that needs to be addressed.
porky88  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 11:22:26 PM(UTC)
Jairus Byrd spent three or so years going to school in Northeast Wisconsin. For a period, we actually went to the same school. I probably have a yearbook with him in it. No, I did not know him.

I remember watching him play in high school when he was a freshman. He left after his freshman year when his father took a job with the St. Louis Rams. I doubt this will have any influence on his decision as a free agent if Green Bay shows interest, but he's no stranger to the Green Bay area, which most free agents obviously are.
RaiderPride  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:33:11 AM(UTC)
Byrd's agent is floating out 9 million dollars per year as a "You Have Him investment." That is a ton of monies.

Jarrett Bush in the secondary will be getting 1.5 million.

So... doing the math 9 million for Byrd and 1.5 million for Bush.

The question is... Is a Byrd in the hand worth six in the Bush.

Tough call.

Rss Feed