Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Good Analysis, Wade. I'm pretty sure you meant Boykin at WR instead of Bostick. I agree about the O Line, especially the lack of positivity so many have for Bakhtiari. Ditto for Bulaga last year anyway. As for D, I'm still hopeful for Datone Jones, but I share your pessimism for Perry. I disagree with you on Hayward - still good hope if he can stay healthy, and Richardson - I saw nothing good in him.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I did mean Boykin, yes. Thanks for the correction.

Re: Jones, OL, et al...I guess I'm just tired of hearing the same "potential" and "develop" and "grow" predictions every year.

And I just can't buy it anymore, especially on the OL.

Spitz, Moll, Colledge, Barbre, Giancomini, etc etc etc etc etc etc., Bulaga, Bakhtiari, and whoever they draft this year in the sixth round. It just gets old.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
nice summary Wade.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago
Wade being pessimistic? Neeeever. I just can't believe it.

Other than perhaps a few teams, the Packers will be as good as any other team in the NFL. True, the Seahawks, 49'ers, and Broncos MIGHT be better next season, but beyond that, the Packers will be as good or better than the other teams on any given Sunday. That's pretty good. Packer fans should expect more, but realistically, it's hard to ask for much more. As weak as some areas of the team may be, Aaron Rodgers and Eddie Lacy will compensate for many of those weaknesses. Will that be enough to win another Super Bowl? Maybe not, but it's possible. All the Packers have to do to have a chance is keep Rodgers healthy, and improve slightly in a few areas. Those are very realistic goals. The 49'ers playoff game this year was a perfect example. The Packers competed the entire game, but just lost. Things could bounce differently next time.

Things could be better in Packer land, but they certainly could be much, much worse.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Offense:
WR -- surprisingly, no change. I thought Jennings loss would be bigger, but Boykin stepped up.
TE -- also a surprise. improvement.
RB -- clearly the major accomplishment of the year with Lacy. One draft pick I am really glad to have been really wrong about.
QB -- same. The one place where, IMO, an injury explanation holds. On the other hand, I and others have been pointing out for years that with the Packers OL, its a real risk to happen again. Because:
OT, OG, C -- no change. I thought Newhouse would finally step up, but was not to be; I was wrong there. OTOH, I fail to understand the great optimism re: Bahktiari. He showed me virtually nothing to warrant it. And I've never been as sold on Bulaga or Lang as other people. EDS showed as serviceable long term player, but overall I see no grounds for thinking this unit has any more going for it than it did a year ago. I thought it was (excluding Sitton) a mediocre/serviceable unit then, and I think it is a mediocre/serviceable unit now. Same possible unproven potential as before. Until it gets better, I expect to lose Rodgers for some games every year.
Backups: QB slightly better, RB slightly better prosects, TE wash, WR wash, OL no change.
Overall: better because of Lacy.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Wow, Bakhtiari showed you NOTHING? He came is as a rookie, weighting under 300lbs and held up, all year. Was he pro bowl level? NO. But he held up, and with an offseason in the program, he should be able to bulk up plenty. Dude with a 4th rounder, who played better at LT than the top pick overall and the one shortly thereafter did at RT. And did so as the starter for the entire year.

EDS has shown he could get it done at an adequate level. Which is to say, he surprised me. Tretter might beat him out, but EDS can play.

Lang had a great year too. The only really off-year he's had was his second year, when he couldn't life during the offseason, due to a wrist injury. And Bulaga is as solid as anyone. Sherrod's really the only question mark. Sherrod and Tretter. But we're definitely getting stronger at this position, no question.

Defense:
DT: Weaker. I've been a Pickett fan forever. But, alas, I think he declined last year. And as for Raji, well, it's past time. I don't know whether Daniels should be considered DT or DE at this point, but I've always put him at DT and so does the Packers roster list, so I'll put him there. And he was a real positive, one of very few on the defensive side last year. So Daniels a big up; Pickett a down and Raji a down, so I'd say weaker overall, since this is a position that needs rotation during games.
DE: No change. Boyd -- flashes suggesting cautious optimism warranted. Jones -- I didn't like the pick, and I'm still underwhelmed. The rest -- bleh.

Boyd is a NT is he not? He's played well, and seems to have potential. I agree about Pickett, and Raji definitely has underwhelmed. DL needs some depth. I'd say we're weaker here. Jolly should be back, though.

I'm a little disappointed with Datone Jones, and I didn't like the pick at the time. LOL. I was saying IF GENO SMITH FALLS, GO GET HIM TED! Haha, but I still like Datone. I'm reserving judgement, and I do believe he'll be fine. Still overall, the DL needs to get stronger.

OLB: No change. Didn't like the Perry pick, still don't. Matthews, injuries notwithstanding, still IMO is a stud. The rest -- same potential, different year.

This position is frustrating. Perry needs to prove he can get healthy. Then he needs to prove he can stay that way. Neal needs to show he can play. Just another tweener on a team full of guys who don't fit their prototypes. Be nice of Nate Palmer shows he can play.
I don't think we're weaker here. Palmer and Neal with have a year of experience.

ILB: Slight improvement, but still mediocre. Improvement: Lighter Hawk looked better; Lattimore definitely looked better. Jones -- don't know if he belongs here or at OLB; regardless, looked, if anything, more underwhelming.
CB: Same. Hyde this year's pleasant surprise after last year's pleasant surprise of Hayward. OTOH, Hayward was disappointing -- I didn't like the draft pick two years ago, last year I thought I was wrong about the pick, and now, well I don't know what to think of the guy anymore. (Since this "before free agency" assessment, I'm counting Shields as still there. If Shields is lost, this position takes a major hit.)

Hayward was disappointing because of training issues, not because of his skills as a player. Huge difference. Not like he came out there and stunk up the joint. The key at this position is health.
It'd be nice if House took some yoga lessons and gained some fluidity in his hips. He's a bit mechanical. Also, he's the latest DB who needs to make the decision that he's willing to tackle. Dude has made some great plays in coverage, but he's also given up big plays. I think we're still ok here. Tramon's a year older. Shields may or may not be back...

S: Worse. McMillian didn't even last the year and MD Jennings looked worse; a year ago, he still seemed, to me anyway, to offer some potential. Not as optimistic about Burnett either. Richardson -- more optimistic, because with the injury frankly I never expected anything from him before.
Depth? Only at CB and even there it could be better.
Overall: Worse.

This position is definitely worse. McMillian shit on his career, and MD Jennings proved that he can't play. On the plus side, those were two experiments that have proven to NOT work. So at least now we know we need to look elsewhere.

Sorry, but the Pickett and Woodson examples are no longer credible examples that Ted Thompson is interested in playing anything other than bargain-basement and third-tier free agency. Both are among my all time favorite Packers, but both were 8 frigging years ago. Two major free agent acquisitions in 9 years -- that is not, IMO, a serious commitment.

What about guys like James Jones? Ted doesn't get credit for signing his own. Finley too. Then there's DuJuan Harris, who might turn out to be a pretty significant acquisition.

Bottom line for me is, Packers need to do SOMETHING about all the injuries. It's costing this franchise, year after year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
10 years ago
I believe you need 3 things:

- A francjise QB (check)
- Some luck
- The right path to reach the SB

Some teams are better prepared to defeat some other teams. Some coaches fit better against some others.

In 2010 we drawed Phily, Atlanta and Chicago. We could defeat those teams and we still can.
San Francisco and the Giants are teams that we can't defeat.

I'm sure we would have defeated Carolina this year, too bad we had San Francisco in the middle.
Luis
nerdmann
10 years ago

I believe you need 3 things:

- A francjise QB (check)
- Some luck
- The right path to reach the SB

Some teams are better prepared to defeat some other teams. Some coaches fit better against some others.

In 2010 we drawed Phily, Atlanta and Chicago. We could defeat those teams and we still can.
San Francisco and the Giants are teams that we can't defeat.

I'm sure we would have defeated Carolina this year, too bad we had San Francisco in the middle.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

We've beaten the Giants before.

As for the Niners, they fear us now, and they should. Last second FG? Two defensive starters down on the first drive? No way they take us lightly.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Tramon Williams signs extension.(or cut him)

Sign Sam Shields to 4 yr deal(this is a must if Williams refuses to sign an extension)

Can't lose them both.

O-line-fine, plenty of deoth(say goodbye to EDS)

Te's fine(if Quarless is resigned)(say goodbye to Finley)

Rb's/Fb's fine(as long a Kuhn is resigned)(say good bye to James Starks)

Qb's fine (as long as Ted resigns Matt Flynn)

WR's fine (say goodbye to James Jones) A mistake IMO, but Ted knows better than me.

D-line need help(especially if Jolly and Pickett are not resigned)(say goodby to Raji)

(those "old slow fat-asses" as they have been described by some of this forums football geniuses, are needed back 1 more year to transition The Boyd's and Jones's on The Packers roster).

Packers will not sniff a SB without Jolly and Pickett back 1 more year.

LBr's fine, plenty of depth as long as they stay healthy(say goodbye to Lattimore and Francois)

CB's already adressed this at top, Packers will be set if Williams and Shields are both back, plenty of young deoth. Ted loses 1 , then Paxckers are in trouble, they lose both, forget about any SB run.

S need help, Richardson and Burnette can be solid starters(when healthy and play up to their potential), but no depth after that.

Ted will not change his philosphy of draft and develope.

Therefor any talk of a high-priced FA coming to The Packers is pretty much just that TALK.
#1 Packers can't afford it
#2 Not Teds way.

All likelyhood Ted will Turn his 7 picks into 10 or 11(which i think is a mistake).
He will draft 2 S'afeties , 2 - TE's, 2 d-linemn, a RB, a WR, an OT, a LBr, and a QB.

7 of these guys will nake the final 53 man roster, and The Packers will once again hope the Vets stay healthy or these players will be thown into the fire way before they are ready.

The Packers will make a run at The SupeBowl in 2014 if less than 3 starters end up on IR, and none of them are named Rodgers or Mathews.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Tramon Williams signs extension.(or cut him)

Sign Sam Shields to 4 yr deal(this is a must if Williams refuses to sign an extension)

Can't lose them both.

O-line-fine, plenty of deoth(say goodbye to EDS)

Te's fine(if Quarless is resigned)(say goodbye to Finley)

Rb's/Fb's fine(as long a Kuhn is resigned)(say good bye to James Starks)

Qb's fine (as long as Ted resigns Matt Flynn)

WR's fine (say goodbye to James Jones) A mistake IMO, but Ted knows better than me.

D-line need help(especially if Jolly and Pickett are not resigned)(say goodby to Raji)

(those "old slow fat-asses" as they have been described by some of this forums football geniuses, are needed back 1 more year to transition The Boyd's and Jones's on The Packers roster).

Packers will not sniff a SB without Jolly and Pickett back 1 more year.

LBr's fine, plenty of depth as long as they stay healthy(say goodbye to Lattimore and Francois)

CB's already adressed this at top, Packers will be set if Williams and Shields are both back, plenty of young deoth. Ted loses 1 , then Paxckers are in trouble, they lose both, forget about any SB run.

S need help, Richardson and Burnette can be solid starters(when healthy and play up to their potential), but no depth after that.

Ted will not change his philosphy of draft and develope.

Therefor any talk of a high-priced FA coming to The Packers is pretty much just that TALK.
#1 Packers can't afford it
#2 Not Teds way.

All likelyhood Ted will Turn his 7 picks into 10 or 11(which i think is a mistake).
He will draft 2 S'afeties , 2 - TE's, 2 d-linemn, a RB, a WR, an OT, a LBr, and a QB.

7 of these guys will nake the final 53 man roster, and The Packers will once again hope the Vets stay healthy or these players will be thown into the fire way before they are ready.

The Packers will make a run at The SupeBowl in 2014 if less than 3 starters end up on IR, and none of them are named Rodgers or Mathews.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

All I can say is I HOPE you are wrong about how Thompson handles things on about a dozen counts. I don't like what the guy has done with the team, but I give him more credit than most of the shit you are talking about - both prediction and wishes.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

All I can say is I HOPE you are wrong about how Thompson handles things on about a dozen counts. I don't like what the guy has done with the team, but I give him more credit than most of the shit you are talking about - both prediction and wishes.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Untill Ted proves me wrong, I'll stick by what I said.

You say it's shit, might be, but I'm not afraid to put it down and be wrong.

The question was what did The Packers need to do to make a SB run, the simple answer is "stay healthy", but the variables going into this offseason are the 18 Fa's currently on the roster.

Who to keep, who to let go, and how replace those that leave.

You don't like my answer, fine, move on.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Why do you go completely out of your way to be a sniveling little pussy? Usually a dude likes to be masculine. We all know what you really think about this subject.

I don't think we will be sniffing a Super Bowl until we develop a solid Dline and acquire a much better safety to team up with Burnett. Why they didn't use Hyde more at safety this season is confusing.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.

Michael P. Watson wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.