You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wade  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:35:57 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

Originally Posted by: El3ment12 Go to Quoted Post
Is it even possible for us to do something THAT stupid?

Well, they did sign Brad Jones last year to a deal I was amazed by.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Wade  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:11:33 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Brad Jones can cover. He's also got versatility to play OLB if needed. This staff LOVES versatility.

IMO he is versatile in his mediocrity only.

He's serviceable as a backup. He isn't what I want in a starter linebacker. On the other hand, I grew up watching a team whose weakest starting LB was Lee Roy Caffey. Whose weakest starting DL was Bob Brown. Whose weakest starting DB was Dom Brown.

If the Packers had the 2014 equivalent of Caffey, Brown, and Brown quality at all defensive positions, with no Hall of Famer/All Pro types at all, they'd be head and shoulders above the current Packer defense in putting fear into the minds of opposing teams.

One could say the same thing of an OL whose starting players were no better than the 2014 equivalent of Bob Skoronski.

That's why I bitch so much. Forget about all the Hall of Famers. The current OL and defense are, IMO not up to the standards of the weaker parts of the Lombardi era teams.

IMO.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 2/11/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:29:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post

He's serviceable as a backup. He isn't what I want in a starter linebacker. On the other hand, I grew up watching a team whose weakest starting LB was Lee Roy Caffey. Whose weakest starting DL was Bob Brown. Whose weakest starting DB was Dom Brown.

If the Packers had the 2014 equivalent of Caffey, Brown, and Brown quality at all defensive positions, with no Hall of Famer/All Pro types at all, they'd be head and shoulders above the current Packer defense in putting fear into the minds of opposing teams.

One could say the same thing of an OL whose starting players were no better than the 2014 equivalent of Bob Skoronski.

That's why I bitch so much. Forget about all the Hall of Famers. The current OL and defense are, IMO not up to the standards of the weaker parts of the Lombardi era teams.

IMO.

Shut up old man, I don't remember any of those jabronies and I'm getting ancient too. Rolling On The Floor Laughing

We only have 4 or 5 top 100 players on our team. Time for another good draft.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:07:52 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

IMO.

Nice Blast from the Past.

I tend to agree with you, but the Packers were kinda a bend-don't-break defense even back then - more finesse than a lot of teams. Detroit then/Detroit now - the more things change the more things stay the same, D anyway.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline yooperfan  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:52:45 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 476
Applause Received: 225

IMO.

Excellent post.
That's right in my wheelhouse.

Offline Wade  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:48:30 AM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Shut up old man, I don't remember any of those jabronies and I'm getting ancient too. Rolling On The Floor Laughing

That's part of the point. Even the guys that "no one remembers" (except old guys like yooper and I) on the Lombardi-era team were at a higher quality level than today's Packer defense.
When you're worse than a team with no memorable names, you're not very good.

Promising you'll be better, when it looks like you're relying on the same worse-than-less-than-memorable-old-fart-teams, is a hollow sort of promise.

It might happen. But I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:09:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,739
Applause Received: 1,790

Big Grin

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline musccy  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:24:21 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 114

100 players / 32 teams = 3.125, so we're above the avg. then.

On offense I think many will agree we're not far off, or at least have an offense that isn't holding the team back from succeeding.

As for the defense, this is a bit of a SSALY wishful thinking from a fan, but there is some young talent that should be able to either develop or get healthy over the offseason. Worthy, Hayward, D. Jones, and Boyd all come to mind. We saw the leap Daniels made in year two, and although it doesn't guarantee those four will, it does offer reason to be optimistic. Texas and I are apparently glass half full people when it comes to the youth on this defense, but I agree that the team, specifically the D, is closer than we realize if we can just get a little more help at safety and LB.

thanks Post received 3 applause.
play2win on 2/12/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 2/12/2014(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 2/12/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:21:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

It would be interesting to know how they judge "top 100" - past performance - how recent?, potential - according to ?, wild guess, etc.

The math notwithstanding, I'd kinda like the Packers to be farther above average than that.

Yeah, I'm fairly optimistic about our young D Linemen - just getting Raji and Pickett out of there will help, but a rotation of Daniels, Worthy, D. Jones, Boyd, and Jolly seems pretty good - maybe adding a low round gem to that. Any of those young guys could step up and be top 100.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 2/12/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:54:48 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 470

Saints move on from Smith, Harper, Greer, Vilma

Quote:
Four key defensive players won’t be back with the team in 2014. The Saints have terminated the contracts of linebacker Will Smith, cormerback Jabari Greer, and safety Roman Harper. The team also announced that linebacker Jonathan Vilma (pictured) will not be re-signed.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”