wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

That's dream world material. Google-eyed NFC North Division Champ illusions…. Our division sucked so bad that they are thinking of changing the rules for playoff seeding and whether or not division champs are automatic qualifiers.

Again, we did not beat one team with a winning record last year, and we ranked 31st in the NFL on defense. Until we get a defense other teams have to contend with, we will remain pretenders.

Who here did not see that defense wins championships this past season? The last two times we won the SB we had phenomenal defenses, loaded with playmakers. That just simply is not the case today.

What is more negative? Looking at our true standing in this league, or pretending everything is alright just because we have Aaron Rodgers?

We had a healthy Aaron Rodgers in both 2011 and in 2012, and we didn't finish the job because we had the very same issues affecting our play on defense. We are talking 3 years later about the exact same needs. SSALY. Three years running.

And, this horse shit about trading a future pick being akin to throwing salary on a lottery ticket. Puhleeeease! That is the kind of garbage that keeps people from taking any chances.

Did SEA not take any chances? WOW. Look what they just did.

Every draft choice includes a fair amount of risk. I'm simply open to Ted possibly trading away next year's R1 if he sees a player available that he deems worthy of such a move. That would have to be a pretty good player, right? That same player will still be on the roster next season, right? Well, what the hell's the problem? If we get 2 really good players into our system this year from R1 instead of 1, that extra player will have a full year of NFL experience under his belt by 2015.

Am I expecting him to do so? Hell no. But, if he did, I would welcome the move. I'd rather bolster a depleted defense with more top picks this year than wait. That's all.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Be content for GB to merely make the playoffs. After all, they could get lucky and every other team in the playoffs have all their QBs and starting lines (Both OL and DL) go down with injuries.

Ignore the fact the Aaron all by himself is capable of winning 8-9 games.

Never ever compare GB to the success other teams have for acquiring talent. Only compare GB to the problems other teams have had in getting talent. After all Uncle Teddy and Company can't possibly be any better at evaluating talent than other GMs. Unless of course it is the mighty and all powerful UDFAs that everyone craves.

And whatever you do, don't suggest anything that will bring players to GB other than through the draft, typically 6th and 7th rounders. 👅
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You know, you just may be right on this.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

hahahaha That puts me two ahead of a lot of people in here.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DakotaT
10 years ago

What a bunch of negativist CRAP! The Packers are FAR from being in/winning the Super Bowl? Come On!

First of all, if things fell right, it's entirely possible we could go all the way with pure crap on defense and with a shaky O-Line - Aaron Rodgers is that good.

Secondly, we will be infinitely better on defense just by getting rid of Raji and Pickett. In addition, however, all the negative crap notwithstanding, we will be greatly improved also by having back all those injured players for a full season - even minus an average amount of injuries next season.

We lost by 3 lousy points to arguably one of the top three teams in the NFL - having Rodgers back, yes, but still pretty crippled by injuries. I really don't see any reason we can't beat Seattle either.

And all of that is saying nothing about additions - hopefully a good draft, hopefully Thompson departing just a little bit from his ways and picking up a quality Safety and/or LB.

Hell No, we aren't far from Super Bowl quality. With just equal luck with injuries and in other areas, we are right there with the best right now.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Why are you always the one legged man in an ass kicking contest? Jesus Christ, I bet you use to be a Favre apologist too. That horrible Rams playoff loss was the receivers' fault, yadadadada. You are my favorite tick turd for good reason...Buckeye doesn't want the job anymore.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Why are you always the one legged man in an ass kicking contest? Jesus Christ, I bet you use to be a Favre apologist too. That horrible Rams playoff loss was the receivers' fault, yadadadada. You are my favorite tick turd for good reason...Buckeye doesn't want the job anymore.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

hahahaha Back when I was in the real estate business, I knew this guy - 78 years old at the time, a former Philippine Scout who survived the Bataan Death March, but lost a leg from his wounds. I saw him leave his crutches in the car and hop about 100 yards over rough ground looking at a property, faster than most people could walk it. He'd be my candidate for that ass kicking contest - either with or without the crutches. He's 96 now and still kickin'.

Hell Yeah I am a Favre apologist - the greatest player, not just QB in the history of the NFL - until Aaron Rodgers, the current best player, surpasses Favre in career greatness. We are truly blessed to have them both as Packers, and I'll kick the ass of anybody who says different - verbally, of course - just like I always kick your ass, Dakota - verbally, of course.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Atlanta traded their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks in 2011 and their 2012 1st and 4th rounders to get Julio Jones.

Got bounced in the wild card in 2011, lost in the NFC title game in 2012 and 2013...well, they're drafting at the #6 spot this year.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
mi_keys
10 years ago

Again, we did not beat one team with a winning record last year, and we ranked 31st in the NFL on defense. Until we get a defense other teams have to contend with, we will remain pretenders.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

We were 25th in yards and 24th in points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false 

And in 2013, the #17 Defense (ranked even lower than the feeble Packers, by the way) beat the #3 Defense for the Super Bowl title. So evidently, Defense doesn't always win. Sorry.

But you were right in 2012. The #27 D beat the #31 D for the title. Clearly, Defense wins championships based on this! What's that? You mean 2 teams ranked in the worst 6 defensive teams in the league played in the Super Bowl??? Heresy!

In 2011 Super Bowl, the Packers won with the #5 D!!! Of course the Steelers lost and their D was ranked... #2.

What's this mean? Absolutely nothing.

The 2013 Houston Texans had the #7 ranked defense! And won 2 games.

In 2013, the #6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, & 18 teams did not make the playoffs. The #19 team did and made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Again? Nothing.

Seattle was the first team to win the Super Bowl in the last 10 years without a prototypical Franchise QB. Does that mean that the Patriots, Broncos, Saints, Steelers, Packers are all going to drop their studs and go with the new trend of young, short and average at QB? I doubt it, but I might be wrong.

Yes, the D needs to get better. But not at the cost of the future.

QCHuskerFan wrote:

I'm not going to spend the time right now to pull up the statistics on defense winning titles. This was discussed at length on the forum some years ago and members went back through every single season from 1967 through to the (at the time) present. Defense was the better indicator for success and overwhelmingly so.

I will say, you are focused on yards, which is the wrong statistic. Points win games. Points are what matter. Not surprisingly, points paint a much better picture of a defense's strength and how successful teams have been. By the way, your #7 Texans were #24 in points. Real power house that is.

Also, the bit about "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" is a farce. If we go back to 2000, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger (twice), Eli Manning (twice), Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson have all been a part of Super Bowl winning teams.

Dilfer and Johnson are shit; Flacco and Eli Manning are average. Roethlisberger set the record for worst QB rating (22.6) in a Super Bowl when he won "his" first (though sexy Rexy now holds that distinction with his 7.1) and was shit for the first 58 minutes of "his" second win. He's one of the most overrated QBs of all time thanks to his two rings. He's good, but he doesn't touch the status of the elite quarterbacks; and it's quite rich that you bring up the Steelers when their titles were won largely on the back of their defenses. Russell Wilson is fine. If those are your "prototypical franchise quarterbacks" then half the league has one.

And even when we look at the elite quarterbacks, they often had elite defenses accompany them when they won Super Bowls. Brady's 2001, 2003 and 2004 Pats had the 6th, 1st and 2nd ranked scoring defenses. Rodgers' Packers has the 2nd scoring defense.

The QB may be the most important single position in the game, but the defense is still the more important side of the ball. It's time we fixed ours.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DakotaT
10 years ago

Atlanta traded their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks in 2011 and their 2012 1st and 4th rounders to get Julio Jones.

Got bounced in the wild card in 2011, lost in the NFC title game in 2012 and 2013...well, they're drafting at the #6 spot this year.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Just rewatched the Atlanta game where Rodgers burned Atlanta down in 2010. My absolute favorite Packer game. We have never played at that level since and we absolutely squashed the hopes of that team and Matty Choke.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
One thing I will so though is this will probably end up being one of the deepest draft classes in recent history because of the record number of underclassmen who have declared. The problem though is a lot of those guys won't be first round pick material because they came out too early. This is the reason I would be fine with seeing some trade backs this year assuming the board is saturated with talent at our picks. There is a lot of talent that's going to be sitting there in those mid rounds that would have taken higher picks to get next year.

I would probably be fine moving some mid round picks from next year to get some of those guys though I still have a hard time thinking there's going to be 2nd/3rd rounders on the board worth a 1st from next year. Would have to be a damn sure thing. It just doesn't really seem to me like when teams have traded future 1st round picks it's worked out that well.
play2win
10 years ago

From the Seahawks' depth chart online, here is their starting D's roster's draft position/year.

Bryant - #121 2008
McDaniel - undrafted FA 2006
Mebane - #85 2007
Clemons - undrafted FA 2003
Irvin - #15 2012
Wagner - #47 2012
Smith - #242 2012
Sherman - #154 2011
Maxwell - #173 2011
Chancellor - #133 2010
Thomas - #14 2010

Every starter behind their DL is from their last 4 draft classes, and only 2/11ths of their defense is from the 1st RD. So why must the Packers trade up into Rd 1 to get a top-notch defense?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Dude, you are talking about a 3-4 year window of team building to make SEA the winner it was last season. Is that how long you want to wait, till Rodgers has maybe one or two years left? Not me.

The problem we face is we are currently poised offensively, and incredibly deficient defensively. We just need to add the best playmakers we can to turn that around and be a very, very solid team. I would prefer we did that this offseason, as opposed to stretching it out over however many years, by making some bold moves with draft day trades and FA signings or player trades to add the right players. I don't mind pushing all the chips in at this point. It could be really good for this team.
play2win
10 years ago

One thing I will so though is this will probably end up being one of the deepest draft classes in recent history because of the record number of underclassmen who have declared. The problem though is a lot of those guys won't be first round pick material because they came out too early. This is the reason I would be fine with seeing some trade backs this year assuming the board is saturated with talent at our picks. There is a lot of talent that's going to be sitting there in those mid rounds that would have taken higher picks to get next year.

I would probably be fine moving some mid round picks from next year to get some of those guys though I still have a hard time thinking there's going to be 2nd/3rd rounders on the board worth a 1st from next year. Would have to be a damn sure thing. It just doesn't really seem to me like when teams have traded future 1st round picks it's worked out that well.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

steve, the shotgun approach could work this draft, given it seems loaded with talent. Ted would have to really hit. I thought last year's draft was quite possibly his best ever at the time. Out of the 11 players drafted last year, we received significant contributions from 3: Lacy, Bakhtiari and Hyde.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (54m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.