Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:08:22 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 694
Applause Received: 713
TotalPackers said:
The Green Bay Packers have been trying to re-sign cornerback Sam Shields, but apparently not hard enough. Shields plans to test the free agent market.

I'm gonna question Ted on this move if it happens.

Not very often that I don't go with the flow and go with Ted's decision, but if The Packers could have signed Shields, and they didn't, it just might come back to bite them in the ass.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:15:46 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,326
Applause Received: 1,240
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

Not very often that I don't go with the flow and go with Ted's decision, but if The Packers could have signed Shields, and they didn't, it just might come back to bite them in the ass.

I put this more on Rosenhaus. They may have leaked the idea that Sam would settle for $5mil, to make Ted look like an asshole if Sam gets offered more elsewhere.

Don't trust Drew. I trust Ted.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:23:10 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 299
Applause Received: 597
Story should read Drew Rosenhaus to test the market.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:23:35 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 326
Applause Received: 728
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

The only way Shields will resign with the Packers is if he wants to. There is nothing Ted Thompson can do to make him sign. It sounds like he wants to see what he can get. There is no way you can put that on Ted. Hopefully he at least gives the Packers a chance to match whatever offer he gets.

Now if it comes out that he would have signed for 5.6 million and Ted Thompson wouldn't cough it up that's a different story. Right now we have no way of knowing what, if anything, the Packers have offered or how much Shields is asking for.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/1/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:24:26 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 938
Applause Received: 1,916
Just tag his ass and use the $11M towards his signing bonus. This shit isn't that difficult. Either the Packers want him, or they're comfortable with the younger guys to take over. It the Packers want Shields, he isn't going anywhere.
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:08:35 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,471
Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).
thanks Post received 9 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/1/2014(UTC), dhazer on 3/1/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 3/1/2014(UTC), cheeseheads123 on 3/1/2014(UTC), sschind on 3/1/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 3/1/2014(UTC), gbguy20 on 3/1/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/1/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:12:59 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2016Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 329
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).

The thing is can you blame Sam for going for the money? What would you do if you could. take the 1st offer you get or shop around? What is holding him to Green Bay? I seen one person say he has a better chance at getting a ring here than in Cleveland, but last I checked he has a ring already and he played for dirt cheap. Time to go after money and secure his future after football.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 3/1/2014(UTC), wpr on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:51:31 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,471
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
The thing is can you blame Sam for going for the money? What would you do if you could. take the 1st offer you get or shop around? What is holding him to Green Bay? I seen one person say he has a better chance at getting a ring here than in Cleveland, but last I checked he has a ring already and he played for dirt cheap. Time to go after money and secure his future after football.

Seems like for Greg Jennings that would have been the highest offer. Probably Raji too. I don't have a problem with Sam betting on himself in the open market a lot of guys do that. All I'm saying is there's no reason to believe that Ted is being cheap with him. Hitting FA instead of taking the 1st offer doesn't guarantee you more money.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:30:12 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2015Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 556
Applause Received: 681
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post

Ya I gotta agree. At this point, he's already got his ring and he's playing with house money at this point.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:48:52 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
At this point, it's all speculation. We don't know what's in Shields' mind, or Thompson's for that matter.

What we can say is that given the cap situation and the existence of creative financing, the Packers have the ability to make him a decent high-end offer that it would be ridiculous for some other team to beat. What we can probably also say is that Shields does not have any reason to be negative about staying with the Packers if the money is equal.

I tend to agree with some that we could get by as a winning team without Shields. On the other hand, nobody can deny that the Packers are a helluva lot better off with him.
Rss Feed