Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:18:35 AM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 682
Applause Received: 707
The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:04:50 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 924
Applause Received: 1,887
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
The Browns are reported to be very interested in Sam Shields, they have a lot of cap money also.

Only takes ONE team to decide to throw 9-10 mil(a year) at Sam and who can blame him if he takes it.

My stance all along was to get Sam signed BEFORE the start of Free Agency.

Even if The Packers had to move into the 6-7 mil range to do it.

Just seems Ted has decided to let Sam test the waters, and I have a bad feeling, The Browns or someone else will snatch him away.

One of the articles I read was talking about the Absolutely never used in The NFL, "sign and trade".

The Browns already have 2 1st rnd picks, so how about signing Sam Shields then Trade him and our 1st rnd pick for The Browns 1st picK(#4).

Would having the #4 pick overall in the draft be enough to offset the loss of Sam?

I say no, but if it looks like they are going to lose him anyway, why not give it a shot?

That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/2/2014(UTC)
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:29:52 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Based on the most recent history I wouldn't immediately blame Ted Thompson for anything. The guy supposedly initially offered Greg Jennings a good deal more than he ended up getting. He supposedly offered Raji more than he will probably end up getting. He gave more than fair deals to Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett. Not to mention Hawk. He doesn't really seem to "lowball" his own players so if there are issues with signing Sam it's probably got more to do with Sam(or his agent).

Take the facts as you cite them: Thompson offered that much to Jennings; Thompson offered that much/anything at all to Raji; Thompson signed Brad Jones; And you don't want to blame him for any of that? Examples of not low-balling, yes - which hopefully means he will get the job done to retain Shields, but three horrible examples of bad judgment - thankfully only one of which - Jones - has harmed the team.

Offline gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:00:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 411
Applause Received: 448
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
That's a pipe dream Buckeye. Now what would make feel better is landing Orakpo, Byrd, or Ward in free agency.

byrd will be testing free agency :)
Offline cheeseheads123  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:31:28 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 84
Applause Received: 175
Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?
Offline gbguy20  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:56:59 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 411
Applause Received: 448
shields
Offline DakotaT  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:31:52 PM(UTC)

United States
If Cleveland really wants to pay Shields 7 or 8 million, they can have him and we'll move on. Just frees up all our money for other players. We'll just be drafting a corner with one of our top three picks and hope Hayward, House, and Hyde can step up. Shields is not worth that kind of coin, and we should be happy for him and appreciate his contributions to our championship and those awesome wins in Soldier Field.
Offline porky88  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:27:51 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2015

Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 505
cheeseheads123 said: Go to Quoted Post
Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?

Verner is better.

Shields is a good player, but he's not consistent enough to be great. He’s still young, so he could develop into a great player, but I haven’t seen him sustain success. I don’t trust him on an island against an elite receiver. He needs help, which rather defeats the purpose of paying him top dollar.

Now, I absolutely want Green Bay to re-sign him, but I don’t think losing him would be a crushing blow. Frankly, my preference is to prioritize Jermichael Finley over Shields.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:19:58 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,291
Applause Received: 3,462
cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:29:09 PM(UTC)

United States
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.

$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.
Rss Feed