Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:00:37 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I believe Byrd could cure A LOT of our woes in our secondary. He is a pure Free Safety, and a complete ball hawk. He would instantly make Green Bay a better team.

Signing Byrd now would give this secondary a solid veteran leader with huge upside, and would go a very long way towards making our defense a strength once again, vs. a liability. Signing Byrd now could also allow for the Packers to pick the best DL and LBs available in the early rounds of May's draft.

The impact of signing Jairus Byrd in Green Bay would be enormous. Plus, the Bears are also in the market for his services. I would rather Ted drops whatever it takes to land this kid, and instantly improve our overall team. Hell, give him the Woodsonesque $11M if that's what it takes. The balance of a fierce offense coupled with a stout defense is what we need to be true contenders again. Signing Byrd now would immediately turn the tables back in our favor. We have been needing an impact signing at the Safety position for 3 years. Now is the time. Sign him Ted, please!!!!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:18:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,338

Play, we got Shields signed, let's not get too greedy here. Besides, if we're going to sodomize Bears, let's steal Bennett from under them.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:25:28 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,888
Applause Received: 1,398

Jairus Byrd would be a huge addition. If only it were so. I can't imagine Uncle Teddy making an under valued offer little alone a real one.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline musccy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:37:20 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

The Browns, Eagles, and Bills all want Byrd/Ward and I can only assume that there are at least a half dozen more who will be talking to both of them. The likelihood that either would be signed at a fair/reasonable price I suspect is very low.

I don't think Ted would, nor do I personally want him to get into the habit of spending recklessly. It's not good for the long term stability of a franchise.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:48:53 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

I think sometimes you guys think 1st ballot hall of fame quarterbacks are just falling out of trees. Wasn't squandering Favre's career enough. I'd say the time is now to spend like Jerruh and Danny. Load this team up and get some more trophies.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
wpr on 3/10/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC), play2win on 3/10/2014(UTC), rabidgopher04 on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 7:15:40 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I think sometimes you guys think 1st ballot hall of fame quarterbacks are just falling out of trees. Wasn't squandering Favre's career enough. I'd say the time is now to spend like Jerruh and Danny. Load this team up and get some more trophies.

I said more or less the same thing in the Shields thread. Last year the Packers had roughly 40% of their cap space tied up in 4 players, and with the exception of Tramon, 3 of those players saw the field for less than half of the season (Finley, ARod, CM3). It's going to be the same this year with the Shields signing so if you shell out big bucks to Byrd, Ward, etc. as well, they better stay healthy and not pull an Albert Haynesworth, Joe Johnson, or Sydney Rice.

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 7:59:54 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I said more or less the same thing in the Shields thread. Last year the Packers had roughly 40% of their cap space tied up in 4 players, and with the exception of Tramon, 3 of those players saw the field for less than half of the season (Finley, ARod, CM3). It's going to be the same this year with the Shields signing so if you shell out big bucks to Byrd, Ward, etc. as well, they better stay healthy and not pull an Albert Haynesworth, Joe Johnson, or Sydney Rice.

If Rodgers goes down, we're pretty much hosed anyway. The rest of those guys, we can win without them. I do think Clay Matthews is way over-payed, when taking into consideration all the time he's injured with his muscle milk hamstring problems. Last year's hand injury was a fluky thing.
UserPostedImage
dhazer on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:02:51 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,488
Applause Received: 624

Isn't that exactly what Sherman did to piss Favre's career away?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:03:45 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,488
Applause Received: 624

If Rodgers goes down, we're pretty much hosed anyway. The rest of those guys, we can win without them. I do think Clay Matthews is way over-payed, when taking into consideration all the time he's injured with his muscle milk hamstring problems. Last year's hand injury was a fluky thing.

I'm not convinced we're hosed of Rodgers goes down. He went down this past season, and what killed us was the DEFENSE.

We're not bringing Seneca back dude. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:07:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,088

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I'm not convinced we're hosed of Rodgers goes down. He went down this past season, and what killed us was the DEFENSE.

We're not bringing Seneca back dude. LOL

Yes! Bring me some Marquand Manuel, or Mark Roman or even Joe Johnson!!
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:13:46 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

byrd already turned down a contract offer that would have made him the highest paid safety in the league
call me Dan
Offline yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 9:37:58 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 565
Applause Received: 256

I'm with you.
The time is now!
Git er done Ted!

texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 9:59:47 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 412

I'm not sure simply spending like Jerry and Danny would be the answer unless Ted is spending a lot smarter but yeah, I agree. Getting Byrd with Shields back in the flock (see what I did there? Byrd, flock...get it...Ok, never mind) I think our secondary maybe becomes top 10 maybe higher, I don't know but definitely much better.

He won't be cheap but we still have the room to do it. I don't think we will but if we wanted to we could swing it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 10:27:29 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 417
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure simply spending like Jerry and Danny would be the answer unless Ted is spending a lot smarter but yeah, I agree. Getting Byrd with Shields back in the flock (see what I did there? Byrd, flock...get it...Ok, never mind) I think our secondary maybe becomes top 10 maybe higher, I don't know but definitely much better.

He won't be cheap but we still have the room to do it. I don't think we will but if we wanted to we could swing it.

True on all counts. Even without getting very creative with the cap, we could easily do it. I, too, would be surprised if Ted stepped up and actually made it happen, but who knows.

"Loading up this team"/"Not frittering away the Rodgers years" would be as simple as solving the Safety problem, upgrading ILB, and maybe getting another pass rusher, but the only one of those that is absolutely essential is Safety. Drafting there or switching one of our Corners would be less of a sure thing and take longer to have success. So make a serious effort to get Byrd or Ward. It's a no brainer.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 11:09:52 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 74
Applause Received: 131

Dear Ted,
Please don't.
blank
Rss Feed