Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:18:45 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

From the Packer Tweets to the right:

I have said, Quarless and Bostick (and maybe Stoneburner too) will be excellent this year, and the Packers don't need TE help. Similarly, I think Boykin will be better than Jones was as the third wideout.

Edited by moderator Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:54:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added twitter tags

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Sponsor
Offline musccy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:33:32 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 149

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
From the Packer Tweets to the right:

@MikeVandermause Are bigger things in store for tight ends Quarless, Bostick? Mike McCarthy calls them young, ascending players: http://t.co/PQkJqSsZqt

@MikeVandermause Mike McCarthy is high on receiver Jarrett Boykin to help fill void left by James Jones' departure: http://t.co/qUcUfYPu4l

I have said, Quarless and Bostick (and maybe Stoneburner too) will be excellent this year, and the Packers don't need TE help. Similarly, I think Boykin will be better than Jones was as the third wideout.

I agree with you on Boykin, I'm also cautiously optimistic about guys like White and Dorsey and I'm not so sure it's as big a position of need. I still wish Jones was retained, but I feel good about our top 3.

Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:18:18 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,300
Applause Received: 576

Exactly what we heard a year ago about BJ Coleman, Jerron McMillian and MD Jennings.

And what they were saying for years about Graham Harrell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:42:34 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 805

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Exactly what we heard a year ago about BJ Coleman, Jerron McMillian and MD Jennings.

And what they were saying for years about Graham Harrell.

also what we heard about guys like Mike Daniels and Jordy Nelson.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:54:29 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 218

I've learned long ago not to put any faith in a player until I actually see something on the field.

Boykin is the only one who has shown anything of that group.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
thanks Post received 4 applause.
DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/26/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 3/26/2014(UTC), Wade on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:00:13 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
also what we heard about guys like Mike Daniels and Jordy Nelson.

Exactly. Which basically means statements like that are worthless. I also remember hearing how Datone Jones was dominating early in camp. That never translated to game day, be it injuries or whatever else it was. It's just a bunch of fluff talk.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
porky88 on 3/26/2014(UTC), play2win on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Online gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:08:02 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I agree with you on Boykin, I'm also cautiously optimistic about guys like White and Dorsey and I'm not so sure it's as big a position of need. I still wish Jones was retained, but I feel good about our top 3.

I'm still convinced its a need. How can we see Finley and Jones go and not say we need to address the pass catching positions?

I'm tired of the endless undrafted or late round picks we have at the end of our WR depth chart that everybody seems to love. Every season we seem to have at least 2 guys hanging out at the end of the depth chart that everyone loves that never end up doing jack shit.
call me Dan
thanks Post received 2 applause.
sschind on 3/26/2014(UTC), El3ment12 on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:19:52 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
I'm still convinced its a need. How can we see Finley and Jones go and not say we need to address the pass catching positions?

I'm tired of the endless undrafted or late round picks we have at the end of our WR depth chart that everybody seems to love. Every season we seem to have at least 2 guys hanging out at the end of the depth chart that everyone loves that never end up doing jack shit.

I think that's mostly an opportunity issue. Moreover, Boykin did pretty well once he was finally given his opportunity. I wouldn't call his contributions "jack shit."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
dfosterf on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:02:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I think that's mostly an opportunity issue. Moreover, Boykin did pretty well once he was finally given his opportunity. I wouldn't call his contributions "jack shit."

Don't forget about Bostick either. He showed a little something. Stoneburner too, although less so.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline warhawk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:38:31 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 210

Or, other teams fall in love with the guys we had to put on the practice squad. Ted's cup at WR has been full and you can bet other teams are looking close at the left overs.

Fortunately, Ted Thompson has been in a position to take flyers on WR's in later rounds and concentrate elsewhere in earlier rounds because of the great success he has had plucking these guys out of rounds two and three in the past. Plus having success holding on to them as well.

But I have no problem with the way Ted Thompson has dealt with the WR position and it's only been a couple of weeks since we lost Jones. Need to give Ted a little more time than that to react.

Ted doesn't have a problem finding guys that can catch the ball. It's finding players that can guard those guys he struggles with.

"The train is leaving the station."
Online gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:15:35 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Boykin seems to be the outlier so far.

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
Or, other teams fall in love with the guys we had to put on the practice squad.

I can only think of one guy who ended up latching on to a team after he was cut by us at the end of camp or signed off our PS. Brett Swain. The rest of them signed and got cut shortly there after.
call me Dan
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:23:34 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 366

Exactly. Which basically means statements like that are worthless. I also remember hearing how Datone Jones was dominating early in camp. That never translated to game day, be it injuries or whatever else it was. It's just a bunch of fluff talk.

Yep. It's all bullshit. Asked questions, gotta give answers.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Online sschind  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:29:15 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

I like what McCarthy is saying as well. The problem is he knows exactly what to say and just because he says it doesn't mean it means anything. He's a smart guy, he knows what he should be saying.

When you have 5 or 6 very good to great pass catchers any other guys are a luxury and you can go on potential. When you lose 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 of those guys over the course of a couple of years and don't replace them with anything other than those "potential" type guys your pass catching team does not improve.

I look to see at least 1 WR drafted this year and maybe even a high round pick. I wouldn't mind at all.

I do agree with Dodd in one way however. Hopefully it's just an opportunity issue. Boykin did step up some what last season and maybe he will continue to blossom and maybe someone else will as well.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:03:26 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Boykin seems to be the outlier so far.

I can only think of one guy who ended up latching on to a team after he was cut by us at the end of camp or signed off our PS. Brett Swain. The rest of them signed and got cut shortly there after.

Torry Gurley's a Brown right now. Most of these guys catch on elsewhere, especially in places with GMs that came up under Ted.
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:09:25 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 149

Like Donald Driver, or Boykin who had 49 catches for nearly 700 yards this year?
DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed