Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:18:45 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

From the Packer Tweets to the right:

I have said, Quarless and Bostick (and maybe Stoneburner too) will be excellent this year, and the Packers don't need TE help. Similarly, I think Boykin will be better than Jones was as the third wideout.

Message modified by moderator Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:54:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added twitter tags

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline musccy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:33:32 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
From the Packer Tweets to the right:

@MikeVandermause Are bigger things in store for tight ends Quarless, Bostick? Mike McCarthy calls them young, ascending players: http://t.co/PQkJqSsZqt

@MikeVandermause Mike McCarthy is high on receiver Jarrett Boykin to help fill void left by James Jones' departure: http://t.co/qUcUfYPu4l

I have said, Quarless and Bostick (and maybe Stoneburner too) will be excellent this year, and the Packers don't need TE help. Similarly, I think Boykin will be better than Jones was as the third wideout.

I agree with you on Boykin, I'm also cautiously optimistic about guys like White and Dorsey and I'm not so sure it's as big a position of need. I still wish Jones was retained, but I feel good about our top 3.

Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:18:18 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Exactly what we heard a year ago about BJ Coleman, Jerron McMillian and MD Jennings.

And what they were saying for years about Graham Harrell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:42:34 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Exactly what we heard a year ago about BJ Coleman, Jerron McMillian and MD Jennings.

And what they were saying for years about Graham Harrell.

also what we heard about guys like Mike Daniels and Jordy Nelson.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:54:29 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

I've learned long ago not to put any faith in a player until I actually see something on the field.

Boykin is the only one who has shown anything of that group.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
thanks Post received 4 applause.
DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/26/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 3/26/2014(UTC), Wade on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:00:13 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,090
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
also what we heard about guys like Mike Daniels and Jordy Nelson.

Exactly. Which basically means statements like that are worthless. I also remember hearing how Datone Jones was dominating early in camp. That never translated to game day, be it injuries or whatever else it was. It's just a bunch of fluff talk.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
porky88 on 3/26/2014(UTC), play2win on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:08:02 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I agree with you on Boykin, I'm also cautiously optimistic about guys like White and Dorsey and I'm not so sure it's as big a position of need. I still wish Jones was retained, but I feel good about our top 3.

I'm still convinced its a need. How can we see Finley and Jones go and not say we need to address the pass catching positions?

I'm tired of the endless undrafted or late round picks we have at the end of our WR depth chart that everybody seems to love. Every season we seem to have at least 2 guys hanging out at the end of the depth chart that everyone loves that never end up doing jack shit.
call me Dan
sschind on 3/26/2014(UTC), El3ment12 on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:19:52 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
I'm still convinced its a need. How can we see Finley and Jones go and not say we need to address the pass catching positions?

I'm tired of the endless undrafted or late round picks we have at the end of our WR depth chart that everybody seems to love. Every season we seem to have at least 2 guys hanging out at the end of the depth chart that everyone loves that never end up doing jack shit.

I think that's mostly an opportunity issue. Moreover, Boykin did pretty well once he was finally given his opportunity. I wouldn't call his contributions "jack shit."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
dfosterf on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:02:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I think that's mostly an opportunity issue. Moreover, Boykin did pretty well once he was finally given his opportunity. I wouldn't call his contributions "jack shit."

Don't forget about Bostick either. He showed a little something. Stoneburner too, although less so.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline warhawk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:38:31 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Or, other teams fall in love with the guys we had to put on the practice squad. Ted's cup at WR has been full and you can bet other teams are looking close at the left overs.

Fortunately, Ted Thompson has been in a position to take flyers on WR's in later rounds and concentrate elsewhere in earlier rounds because of the great success he has had plucking these guys out of rounds two and three in the past. Plus having success holding on to them as well.

But I have no problem with the way Ted Thompson has dealt with the WR position and it's only been a couple of weeks since we lost Jones. Need to give Ted a little more time than that to react.

Ted doesn't have a problem finding guys that can catch the ball. It's finding players that can guard those guys he struggles with.

"The train is leaving the station."
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:15:35 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Boykin seems to be the outlier so far.

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
Or, other teams fall in love with the guys we had to put on the practice squad.

I can only think of one guy who ended up latching on to a team after he was cut by us at the end of camp or signed off our PS. Brett Swain. The rest of them signed and got cut shortly there after.
call me Dan
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:23:34 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Received: 428

Exactly. Which basically means statements like that are worthless. I also remember hearing how Datone Jones was dominating early in camp. That never translated to game day, be it injuries or whatever else it was. It's just a bunch of fluff talk.

Yep. It's all bullshit. Asked questions, gotta give answers.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:29:15 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I like what McCarthy is saying as well. The problem is he knows exactly what to say and just because he says it doesn't mean it means anything. He's a smart guy, he knows what he should be saying.

When you have 5 or 6 very good to great pass catchers any other guys are a luxury and you can go on potential. When you lose 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 of those guys over the course of a couple of years and don't replace them with anything other than those "potential" type guys your pass catching team does not improve.

I look to see at least 1 WR drafted this year and maybe even a high round pick. I wouldn't mind at all.

I do agree with Dodd in one way however. Hopefully it's just an opportunity issue. Boykin did step up some what last season and maybe he will continue to blossom and maybe someone else will as well.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:03:26 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Boykin seems to be the outlier so far.

I can only think of one guy who ended up latching on to a team after he was cut by us at the end of camp or signed off our PS. Brett Swain. The rest of them signed and got cut shortly there after.

Torry Gurley's a Brown right now. Most of these guys catch on elsewhere, especially in places with GMs that came up under Ted.
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:09:25 PM(UTC)
musccy

Like Donald Driver, or Boykin who had 49 catches for nearly 700 yards this year?
DoddPower on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:58:10 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully it's just an opportunity issue. Boykin did step up some what last season and maybe he will continue to blossom and maybe someone else will as well.

Exactly. Ted Thompson hasn't even used his main tool of bringing in new talent: the draft. That's how he replaces players. We all know free agent signings are rare. I like James Jones, and I think he's a good tough player. But he's definitely replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or TE drafted in rounds 1-3 (or both), and a late round guy or two as well. If some of those picks work out, the Packers are essentially as good as they were, or better. The Packers have proven that they can find quality guys in rounds two and three. If the picks don't work out, the Packers will still have a decent receiving core. Besides, I'm sure Ted Thompson drafts expecting the players to pan out. Plus, the Packers finally have a legit running game again, which makes the need to have three to four solid number 2 WR's less of priority. A team is always going to go through transitions, and for the first time in several years, the Packers receiving core is going through a transition. As long as another solid receiving threat is added via the draft (either a TE or WR), the Packers should be fine. The biggest issue remains the crucial players actually staying healthy.
play2win on 3/26/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:08:55 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Quarless is awesome. Ranked #12 in TE efficiency, of somewhere near 38 catchable balls, the guy had 2 drops. We are fine with him at TE, won a SB with him.

Bostick, without much game experience proof, looks promising, and Stoney could surprise and has credentials.

Ill take the stud WR R1 thank you very much.
Offline gbguy20  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:37:52 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Quarless is awesome. Ranked #12 in TE efficiency, of somewhere near 38 catchable balls, the guy had 2 drops. We are fine with him at TE, won a SB with him.

Bostick, without much game experience proof, looks promising, and Stoney could surprise and has credentials.

Ill take the stud WR R1 thank you very much.

I'd take that too. That would be addressing the position which I said is needed.
call me Dan
Offline gbguy20  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:40:02 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Torry Gurley's a Brown right now. Most of these guys catch on elsewhere, especially in places with GMs that came up under Ted.

Green Bay Packers

Gurley was signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent on July 25, 2011. He was later signed to the practice squad.

Gurley was offered a spot of the Minnesota Vikings active 53-man roster towards the end of the 2011 regular season, but declined the offer, choosing to remain on the Green Bay practice squad.

Gurley was released by the Green Bay Packers on August 31, 2012.
Minnesota Vikings

Gurley was signed onto the Minnesota Vikings practice squad on September 1, 2012, but released later that month.
Oakland Raiders

Gurley was signed to the Oakland Raiders practice squad on September 25, 2012.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Gurley was signed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad on October 17,2012.
San Diego Chargers

Gurley was signed to the San Diego Chargers practice squad but subsequently released in November, 2012.
Cleveland Browns

On May 23, 2013, Gurley was signed by the Cleveland Browns.[1] He was cut on August 31, 2013, but signed to the practice squad two days later on September 2, 2013. He was signed from the practice squad on September 7, 2013, and played in two regular season games, compiling 1 reception on 2 targets for 15 yards. He was waived on September 17, 2013 and resigned to their practice squad the next day. On October 18, 2013, Gurley was again signed from the practice squad and played on October 20 against his former team, the Green Bay Packers. He was waived again on October 22 and then re-signed to the practice squad on October 29.

Sorry, I wouldn't call this catching on.

Like Donald Driver, or Boykin who had 49 catches for nearly 700 yards this year?

You really got me there, listing 2 guys over a 14 year span.
call me Dan
Offline steveishere  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:10:14 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

You are tired of #5 and #6 guys doing jack shit? Who cares. Every year we end up with a good WR group, that's all that matters. Who gives a crap if your #5 guy was undrafted or late round guy, that's how you want it to be. If you have 3 or 4 good WRs at the top of your roster you don't waste high picks or $ on your #5.
texaspackerbacker on 3/27/2014(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:34:11 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
You are tired of #5 and #6 guys doing jack shit? Who cares. Every year we end up with a good WR group, that's all that matters. Who gives a crap if your #5 guy was undrafted or late round guy, that's how you want it to be. If you have 3 or 4 good WRs at the top of your roster you don't waste high picks or $ on your #5.

Did you even read what I said?
call me Dan
Offline musccy  
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:52:54 AM(UTC)
musccy

You really got me there, listing 2 guys over a 14 year span.

Fine, add Bill Schroeder (6th) Corey Bradford (5th), Ruvell Martin was a UDFA for San Diego before being picked up by the Packers. They all contributed. Donald and Boykin obviously have. I'm intrigued by Dorsey. Late round picks have been a key asset to the team at the WR position.

DoddPower on 3/27/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/27/2014(UTC)
Offline warhawk  
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:58:33 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Charles Johnson?
Didn't he get picked of the PS as well last year? I remember a lot of fans thinking he could be a player that could develop into something.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline gbguy20  
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:05:33 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Fine, add Bill Schroeder (6th) Corey Bradford (5th), Ruvell Martin was a UDFA for San Diego before being picked up by the Packers. They all contributed. Donald and Boykin obviously have. I'm intrigued by Dorsey. Late round picks have been a key asset to the team at the WR position.

Remember when there was talk that the packers werent surrounding brett with enough talent to throw to? Those were the schroeder and bradford days.

But seriously you have still missed the point. Moving on now....
call me Dan
Offline sschind  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:15:52 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

in 2012 we had 5 legitimate pass catching threats (Jennings, Jones, Driver, Nelson, Finley) and 1 very promising young guy (Cobb) At that point yeah, it really didn't matter who was our #5 and #6 receivers and we could afford to take late flyers on guys with potential. The thing is those late round picks and UDFAs are not picked to be an immediate help to the team. They are developmental type guys.

Now we have 2 legitimate pass catching threats (Nelson, Cobb) and 2 young guys that have showed not to entirely suck (Boykin and Quarless) though I am not sold entirely on either of them yet. We can't afford three years to develop new guys. I know rookie WRs don't often contribute much the first year even as first or second round guys so in that respect expecting a big help from the draft is maybe getting our hopes up. I also realize that many high round picks do not pan out. But the truth is they probably have a better chance than a 6th or 7th rounder.

Regardless of whether or not you think WR is a position of need, I happen to think it is, you can not deny that our pass catching corps as of right now is vastly depleted when compared to what we had during the 2012 season. We may not be at a critical stage but we no longer have one of the top pass catching teams in the league. We are average at best and we may not even be the best in the division any more.

With Rodgers we will always have a bit of a cushion but those who think we can plug and play any guy off the street and not miss a beat will find out soon enough that getting the ball to the receiver is only half the equation.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
gbguy20 on 3/27/2014(UTC), Wade on 3/28/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed