DoddPower
9 years ago

Wanting to have an actual voice in things (or rather wanting people that actually care to have a voice that matters in things) does not just mean "wanting radical change"

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Or you know, just a somewhat representative government. How many here feel as if George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Chris Christie, et al. actually represent your interests? Regardless of what kind of rhetoric they spew, their actions largely prove that they do not.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Wanting to have an actual voice in things (or rather wanting people that actually care to have a voice that matters in things) does not just mean "wanting radical change"

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'll take the shorter reply first: Nobody (at least, not I) is trying to deny your "actual voice", although it is one or more of ya'all who according to the title of the thread, would strip yourselves of that actual voice.

The radical change - actually "radical shift" words came from either Dodd or Laser Guns, one of you guys.

My question REPEATEDLY for any or all of you is WHY? Specifically WHAT KIND of "radical shift" or change would your actual voices be clamoring for? Nobody seems to want to answer that rather significant point hahahaha. Maybe that's because life is so spectacularly GREAT in America as things are. Maybe the forces that seem to be denying/ignoring your "actual voice" are the reason things stay so absolutely GREAT.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

How can you say this when a majority of the population doesn't vote period  (at least in mid-term elections)? Of that percentage, only roughly half votes for either major party, with a few percentage points going to alternatives. That means that somewhere around only 25% vote for the "good normal America-loving Americans" (whatever that means) that you are always talking about. That's hardly a "huge majority" of the US population or even the voting population. The facts, as usual, just don't support your opinions.

It would be interesting to look at the statistics of the 47-53% of the population that votes[/url]. What percentage of minorities vote? Percentage of whites? Percentage of poor? I have a feeling if every American actually voted, there wouldn't be many Republicans elected in many parts of the country, for better or worse. At least if everyone voted, more alternatives to Democrats or Republicans would become viable. Without looking at the statistics, I would say a substantial majority of the roughly 47-53% of American citizens that vote are middle class or higher white people. I'm not stating an opinion one way or the other on my guess of reality, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't true.

EDIT: I took a quick glance at some numbers after posting . According to this one site, it looks like 72% of voters in 2012 were white. I would expect there to be more white voters since there are more whites in general. I'd like to find what percentage of each demographic voted. I don't have time to research that right now, unfortunately. I've got to get back to work.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I appreciate the thoughtful reply.

First thing, if you notice, I did say the huge majority of VOTERS, although I truly believe, the same thing applies to the whole population. What I said is that the huge majority of those people are happy with life the way things are and do not want some kind of "radical shift" - which none of you guys seems to want to define what that "radical shift" would be. As you go to stores, malls, factories, bars, restaurants, sports events, any place where people gather, do you honestly disagree? I mean do you somehow NOT believe that the majority you see are very happy and content just the way things are?

Yeah, a lot of them don't vote. I suspect that's laziness more than anything else. You want to read discontent into it? You could just as easily conclude that they are confident that things will just keep on keeping on in the wonderful way they are now.

As for the 72% white, that sounds pretty much like the same number in the population in general. My info is maybe a couple of decades old, but I recall there being about 12-14% blacks and 12-14% hispanics in the population, that and a smattering of "other". It's a whole other topic, but if you get down to issues as opposed to parties, I suspect blacks and hispanics are on the "right side" of most issues in as big or bigger percentages than whites. Not to open a whole new can of worms, but how many blacks and hispanics do you know that embrace the Dem/lib position on homosexuality and abortion or feel hate for our military dominance? - just a couple of examples.

You kinda tipped your hand from "neutral hating all" to "anti-Republican, if not overtly pro-Dem" with your comments, but whatever. I suspect that if you scratch a disenchanted "done voting" type, in the great majority of cases, you get a liberal anyway, so America probably is better off without those votes.

I really hope at least one of you guys would answer the WHAT don't you like/WHAT would you change TO? questions.
DoddPower
9 years ago

I appreciate the thoughtful reply.

First thing, if you notice, I did say the huge majority of VOTERS, although I truly believe, the same thing applies to the whole population. What I said is that the huge majority of those people are happy with life the way things are and do not want some kind of "radical shift" - which none of you guys seems to want to define what that "radical shift" would be. As you go to stores, malls, factories, bars, restaurants, sports events, any place where people gather, do you honestly disagree? I mean do you somehow NOT believe that the majority you see are very happy and content just the way things are?

Yeah, a lot of them don't vote. I suspect that's laziness more than anything else. You want to read discontent into it? You could just as easily conclude that they are confident that things will just keep on keeping on in the wonderful way they are now.

As for the 72% white, that sounds pretty much like the same number in the population in general. My info is maybe a couple of decades old, but I recall there being about 12-14% blacks and 12-14% hispanics in the population, that and a smattering of "other". It's a whole other topic, but if you get down to issues as opposed to parties, I suspect blacks and hispanics are on the "right side" of most issues in as big or bigger percentages than whites. Not to open a whole new can of worms, but how many blacks and hispanics do you know that embrace the Dem/lib position on homosexuality and abortion or feel hate for our military dominance? - just a couple of examples.

You kinda tipped your hand from "neutral hating all" to "anti-Republican, if not overtly pro-Dem" with your comments, but whatever. I suspect that if you scratch a disenchanted "done voting" type, in the great majority of cases, you get a liberal anyway, so America probably is better off without those votes.

I really hope at least one of you guys would answer the WHAT don't you like/WHAT would you change TO? questions.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You can apply any stupid label you want to me. It's worthless and meaningless to me. Labels are for the simple-minded that often fail to see the bigger picture, from my perspective. I have many liberal opinions. I have many conservative opinions, I have many libertarian opinions, and I have many other non-labeled opinions. This is the case with many Americans, likely approaching a majority. I don't fall the for partisan political game that you so obviously do anymore. You're not alone, but I feel sorry for those that still do. You're missing so much of the truth.

As for what I would like to change, I've answered that in other threads. I'm too lazy to go back into it. I've already wasted too much time at work today as it is. But once again, you're missing the point (shocking, I know). It's not about necessarily radically changing anything (although I'm certain many of us could provide many examples of things they'd like changed). It's about ensuring that things don't radically change or get worse in the future. Many of us see trends of liberty and freedoms Americans enjoy eroding. That isn't and shouldn't be OK. I've said this before in at least a few threads, but I'll say it again. I wouldn't expect an archaic man such as yourself to be able to remember anything except for your own opinions. One shouldn't wait until something is badly broken or malfunctioning to try to fix it. They should constantly work on things and perform maintenance (if you will) so that the hypothetical object of discussion continues to work as it should. (e.g. Change the oil and serpentine belts in a vehicle, etc. etc.) Since I'm healthy and young right now, should I not maintain my fitness routine? From my perspective, there's an increasing trend that the American government is becoming more corrupt and less representative, and that is potentially a problem. Government by nature will have some level of inherent corruption, but there has to be some type of limit. Nip problems that are arising in the bud before they manifest themselves as substantial problems.

I really can't go into more detail now. If you can't draw any conclusions from that, I'm not going to be of any help to you. Nothing anyone says will change any of your perspectives, so why should one bother? I might as well go throw eggs at wall. At least that would be entertaining. Better yet, I'd rather just throw eggs at you. That would be incredibly entertaining. Don't worry, you can bring your walker. [boxing] [boxing] [boxing]
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

You can apply any stupid label you want to me. It's worthless and meaningless to me. Labels are for the simple-minded that often fail to see the bigger picture, from my perspective. I have many liberal opinions. I have many conservative opinions, I have many libertarian opinions, and I have many other non-labeled opinions. This is the case with many Americans, likely approaching a majority. I don't fall the for partisan political game that you so obviously do anymore. You're not alone, but I feel sorry for those that still do. You're missing so much of the truth.

As for what I would like to change, I've answered that in other threads. I'm too lazy to go back into it. I've already wasted too much time at work today as it is. But once again, you're missing the point (shocking, I know). It's not about necessarily radically changing anything (although I'm certain many of us could provide many examples of things they'd like changed). It's about ensuring that things don't radically change or get worse in the future. Many of us see trends of liberty and freedoms Americans enjoy eroding. That isn't and shouldn't be OK. I've said this before in at least a few threads, but I'll say it again. I wouldn't expect an archaic man such as yourself to be able to remember anything except for your own opinions. One shouldn't wait until something is badly broken or malfunctioning to try to fix it. They should constantly work on things and perform maintenance (if you will) so that the hypothetical object of discussion continues to work as it should. (e.g. Change the oil and serpentine belts in a vehicle, etc. etc.) Since I'm healthy and young right now, should I not maintain my fitness routine? From my perspective, there's an increasing trend that the American government is becoming more corrupt and less representative, and that is potentially a problem. Government by nature will have some level of inherent corruption, but there has to be some type of limit. Nip problems that are arising in the bud before they manifest themselves as substantial problems.

I really can't go into more detail now. If you can't draw any conclusions from that, I'm not going to be of any help to you. Nothing anyone says will change any of your perspectives, so why should one bother? I might as well go throw eggs at wall. At least that would be entertaining. Better yet, I'd rather just throw eggs at you. That would be incredibly entertaining. Don't worry, you can bring your walker. [boxing] [boxing] [boxing]

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You sure don't like specifics, do you hahahaha.

I guess the one thing you were pretty specific about was car repairs. Surprise surprise, you and I have different philosophies there too hahahaha. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that's my way, and it has proven quite successful for a long long time. I remember my old high school geometry teacher used to say, "never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, because tomorrow you might not have to do it". He was talking about geometric proofs, but I have always applied that to life in general.

You keep claiming you "already said" this and that. Well, I've gone back through your posts in this thread at least, and I can't find anything about what you don't like and what you would change about life in America except about the technicalities of how things get accomplished - blah blah blah about no voice and politicians don't represent whoever, etc. I say, the RESULT of it all is GREAT, and the making of the sausage is best left unseen. If you disagree about THAT, I'd sure like to know WHAT you think is so bad about the life we all have in America.

I gotta go play tennis now. That's a pretty good trick with a walker hahahaha.

gbguy20
9 years ago
ron paul
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

My question REPEATEDLY for any or all of you is WHY? Specifically WHAT KIND of "radical shift" or change would your actual voices be clamoring for? Nobody seems to want to answer that rather significant point hahahaha. Maybe that's because life is so spectacularly GREAT in America as things are. Maybe the forces that seem to be denying/ignoring your "actual voice" are the reason things stay so absolutely GREAT.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

It's not that I don't "want" to answer, it's just that, the changes I believe are required are just not realistic.

We are too entrenched in our ways to change now.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

It's not that I don't "want" to answer, it's just that, the changes I believe are required are just not realistic.

We are too entrenched in our ways to change now.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

I repeat, what in the hell could you possibly not be magnificently satisfied and happy with? Hell Yeah the huge majority is "entrenched" - because they have the good sense to love things the way they are. WHY do you guys NOT have that good sense?

Your "doneness" of voting is greatly appreciated by those of us who love America.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I just read this entire thread. I'm actually surprised texaspackerbacker thinks things are so great in the US of A.

Perhaps, that's because he's at the tail end of his time here on earth and doesn't see that the world that he knew growing up is gone.

When I was growing up, I'm mid 40's, mom didn't have to work. Mom was able to stay home and take care of the family and home. How realistic is that today for most families? Maybe, for you who, perhaps, bought homes and resold them making a killing each and every time.

One of the great wealth creating tools is not available any longer. I bought my home at a bargain basement rate 8 years ago, and it's worth less than that, today.

The dollar used to be the gold standard. For goodness sakes, now we have "berkshares' and "bit coin"... and you think there is nothing wrong?

Kids are bringing guns and weapons to school at alarming rates.

Politicians are sold out to special interests more than at any time in history.

The debt ceiling is about to have a nuclear sized hole blown in it.

Health care is a literal joke. I'll pay the penalty, thank you. How nice that I have to. Paying monthly premiums for insurance is like paying a 2nd mortgage. How sweet it is! USA!...USA!...USA!

We have immoral leaders like that's what we're gunning for. We've got guys having gay sex in airport bathrooms. President's sticking cigars in interns snatches and saying, "Taste's great."

Have you listened to the music of today's youth? Have you turned on a TV and seen the utter moral decay of this nation? It's truly appalling what is allowed over network TV these days.

Big pharma and our lovely healthcare system is peddling drugs to every man woman and CHILD it can possibly peddle to looking to hook you on any and all medications for the duration of your existence.

The middle class? There is no such thing anymore. There are haves and have nots. What a wonderful life having both parents work and having kids raised by daycares. Just like it was drawn up?

I know you're well beyond your working years but where are the jobs today? If you are lucky enough to have an actual good one what are they taking from you in quality of life?

Any nation that requires and pushes it's working able to the point where they really have no life and gives away free money to free loaders is not a great country. So many are so sick of working long hours only to see that those who don't work at all actually have it better than they do. Crank up that Star Spangled Banner and hold hands. It's just lovely.

I don't think there's a politician alive in this country that really cares about this country or would put the needs of others before their own.

You're so lucky, Texas, that you're at the end of your run. You will likely die with the delusions that the red, white and blue is as strong as it was when you were a wee lad. If you could only go back in time and start all over again where mom and dad are both out busting it and you never see them. What we've done to children in this country is a travesty. A godless, mindless, spineless generation that seeks only for itself. The egocentric view is not one that will produce a better world for the next generation. I'm disappointed in myself for bringing kids into this world. I wanted them so dearly...it was my goal in life. To put them in this "great" country was one of my most selfish acts.

How can you sit where you do, just because it's good for you, and not realize that it is NOT that way for the masses. You are no better than the politician who is totally out of touch with the reality of those he/she is supposedly representing. Elitist.

FYI, I've had it pretty good for most of my life. However, that doesn't leave me blissfully unaware to the plight of many.

We are just as big of a problem as the politicians for we are them. We would do what they do if we were in their shoes. I look at sports... when I was a kid it was no issue going to any sporting event I wanted to go to. Now, today, it's gotten ridiculous. A friend of mine got his two ticket allotment letter for this year's All Star Game...800 will get you in. We've deified sports athletes. It's sick, really. We've created this monster but at least it's good some of us realize it's time to slay that dragon.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago

I know you're well beyond your working years but where are the jobs today? If you are lucky enough to have an actual good one what are they taking from you in quality of life?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

This is a decent point. I always argue that there are plenty of jobs out there, but they do require serious pursuit. For me, it meant moving across the country (about 2,300 miles). It means being that far away from almost all my family and friends and one of the most beautiful--and my favorite par--of the United States (the high country Appalachian region). I haven't been able to visit in over 15 months now. I was going to visit this summer, but my one year old chocolate lab puppy had to have a $6,000 surgery (medial luxating patella) so now I have no vacation funds left over. I haven't got to meet my now one year old nephew, many of my best friends new significant others, etc. It will probably be 24 months before I can make it back, and that's just for a quick visit.

I didn't take the decision to move this far away lightly. It's what I felt I needed to do to maximize my potential. I still live in a pretty cool place, with amazing things nearby (the Sierra Nevada mountains, the amazing coast of CA, wine country), but many sacrifices were made, many of which I consider detriments to my quality of life. It's not all about a great job and a nice paycheck. I couldn't have the same level of professional opportunity in the area my family lives in if I wanted to. There are a few options, but they are very few and far between, are highly competitive, and most are probably in the public sector, and I'm much more of a private sector guy.

It is what it is, and I'm grateful for what I have, but sometimes the sacrifices that almost have to be made for work are too substantial.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (3h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (3h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (4h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (20h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.