mi_keys
9 years ago

NT is a close 3rd in priority, and the wide bodies are few and far between. We could use one, and if Ted goes there early we will know why. That position does not seem too deep in this draft.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I also wanted to touch on this. I think you're correct here and it's unfortunate for us. There are a couple intriguing prospects scattered through out the draft. I'm interested in that absolute mountain of a man in Tennessee, Daniel McCullers (6-7 and 350+ pounds), rated as a mid-round draft pick. There are a couple others. That said, it seems a lot of the DTs in this draft project more as a DE in a 3-4 front.

Edit: Darkane beat me too it as well.
Born and bred a cheesehead
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I'm thinking/hoping the Packers are transitioning away from having a mammoth nose tackle. Transitioning to what? To a Jay Ratliff-type smaller more mobile TACKLER as opposed to a mere space occupier. The way I see it, Raji, bad as he has been with the Packers, actually did show some potential to be that. If he handles the role, maybe he stays beyond this season; If he doesn't, he doesn't. I'd like to see a rotation in a base D 3-man line from among Daniels, D. Jones, Worthy, Boyd, Raji for this season, and some mid-round mid-size D Lineman draft pick. That puts D Line pretty far down the line of needs.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
warhawk
9 years ago

Right, but the injury argument applies to every position. If injuries occur anywhere, your depth all of a sudden looks much worse at the position. If Raji goes down we have essentially no one there who is a dedicated nose tackle. We'd have to play someone like Boyd out of their preferred position. If JC Tretter goes down OR isn't any good (we have high hopes in his potential but he's not even as proven as Boykin) we likely have to reshuffle multiple positions on the line. If Hawk goes down, we have no proven, consistent commodities at inside linebacker.

If Cobb or Nelson go down, we still have the other and Boykin. In such a situation we can spread the passing out around the tight ends and our running backs, who are deeper than we have had at the position (RB, not TE) in years. If both Cobb or Nelson go down, well, see the above paragraph and we're even more screwed at each position. And how many teams still have stacked receiving groups if the top two go down?

I'm not saying there is no need at receiver. As I said, I want to see at least one receiving target taken (tight end or receiver) to expand that depth. If one of the top receivers falls in one of the early rounds, I have no issue taking him if it's a BPA. Otherwise, if you're sitting there with a NT, ILB or S that is roughly the same grade as a WR, I'd rather wait and take the WR later.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

This is why I argue against those that say " just trade those high round picks and get fewer but better players lower in the draft".

No.

The better the 2nd tier of players on the team are the better chance of standing at the end of 16 games. You find those 2nd tier players later in the draft. They may never be starters (although some surprise) but they can fill in when needed and help the team.

A couple of players that turn out to be good quality starters and a few guys that improves the quality of the depth at their positions. I'd be very happy if that turns out to be the description of this draft.

"The train is leaving the station."
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

I'm thinking/hoping the Packers are transitioning away from having a mammoth nose tackle. Transitioning to what? To a Jay Ratliff-type smaller more mobile TACKLER as opposed to a mere space occupier. The way I see it, Raji, bad as he has been with the Packers, actually did show some potential to be that. If he handles the role, maybe he stays beyond this season; If he doesn't, he doesn't. I'd like to see a rotation in a base D 3-man line from among Daniels, D. Jones, Worthy, Boyd, Raji for this season, and some mid-round mid-size D Lineman draft pick. That puts D Line pretty far down the line of needs.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Shade Tree McCullers is not another B J Raji.

A better comparison would be Haloti Ngata ... but add 30 pounds.

If Ted goes for the Tree, he automatically gets a passing grade for this draft regardless of what else he does.

More I think of it, the more attractive Marquise Lee looks as the first pick despite the needs on defense.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

This is why I argue against those that say " just trade those high round picks and get fewer but better players lower in the draft".

No.

The better the 2nd tier of players on the team are the better chance of standing at the end of 16 games. You find those 2nd tier players later in the draft. They may never be starters (although some surprise) but they can fill in when needed and help the team.

A couple of players that turn out to be good quality starters and a few guys that improves the quality of the depth at their positions. I'd be very happy if that turns out to be the description of this draft.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

That’s what the street and college free agents are for.

Uncle Teddy has shown a great knack for picking up college FAs and turning them into starters or solid contributors. After all it is a deep draft and quality players will be available after the draft is over.

On the offensive side every single one of them except for Starks was a FA. They have Taylor listed as the #2 TE but I don’t think so. He would almost never be in for double TE formations.

On the defense it doesn’t hold true on 4 of the 10 listed are FA.

CB Tramon Williams
LS Brett Goode
P Tim Masthay
CB Sam Shields
G Don Barclay
TE Brandon Bostick
WR Jarrett Boykin
RB DuJuan Harris
CB James Nixon
S Sean Richardson
S Chris Banjo
DE Julius Peppers
WR Myles White

I know Peppers doesn't fit into the same group as the other players.

BTW, it is get rid of the lower draft picks for higher picks with better players. it is pretty hard to trade away a #1 or #2 pick for a bunch of # 4 picks and expect to come away with a better player.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

That’s what the street and college free agents are for.

Uncle Teddy has shown a great knack for picking up college FAs and turning them into starters or solid contributors. After all it is a deep draft and quality players will be available after the draft is over.

On the offensive side every single one of them except for Starks was a FA. They have Taylor listed as the #2 TE but I don’t think so. He would almost never be in for double TE formations.

On the defense it doesn’t hold true on 4 of the 10 listed are FA.

CB Tramon Williams
LS Brett Goode
P Tim Masthay
CB Sam Shields
G Don Barclay
TE Brandon Bostick
WR Jarrett Boykin
RB DuJuan Harris
CB James Nixon
S Sean Richardson
S Chris Banjo
DE Julius Peppers
WR Myles White

I know Peppers doesn't fit into the same group as the other players.

BTW, it is get rid of the lower draft picks for higher picks with better players. it is pretty hard to trade away a #1 or #2 pick for a bunch of # 4 picks and expect to come away with a better player.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Any one player, 1st round or otherwise, can be a bust. See: Jamal Reynolds, Justin Harrell, Raji(IMO).

I generally don't like trading down, but I still think this year is an exceptional year. I don't want a bunch of fourth rounders, but if you can get a few extra picks between 50 and 110 (second half of round 2 through the first 10 picks of the 4th). Right now the Packers have 3 picks in that range. If you could use the first pick together with their 5th/6th/7th to get, say, three more in that range, I think it's worth it.

I think there is so much there this year that you could pick up starter-quality players that would instantly upgrade the following positions: S, ILB, OLB, DT, TE, and C. Plus with a bit of luck, a player like Marquise Lee or Tre Mason could also fall into the second half of round 2 and add a new dimension to the offensive attack or one like Juwan James or Gabe Jackson could upgrade the OL.

Yeah, none of those except maybe Lee is going to give you as much at one position as Pryor will give you at FS or Mosley at ILB. But the Packers need upgrading at multiple starting positions, they don't just need depth.

And even if one is an optimist and believes that X number of current players might have potential to step it up next year, I'd rather have the pressure of real competition adding to their incentive; and, unlike usual 3rd rounders, there's a lot more pressure that this years crop is going to be able to push. What's Nick Perry going to do if he has Jeremiah Attachou to compete with, Brad Jones if he has Yawin Smallwood and Christian Jones to compete with? Hyde and Burnett if they have Deone Bucannon and Ahmad Dixon or Craig Loston? What's Bahktiari going to do if he has James pushing at him, or Tretter if he's got Weston Richburg or Travis Swanson? What's Raji going to do if he has to deal with Shade Tree and maybe Ryan Carrethers as well?

That may be the ultimate reason for going multiple trade down if possible. Not because we're going to get starters to pencil in at more positions, and not because they'll improve depth in more places, though both will be true. But the real reason for multiple trade downs this year is that no one is going to be starting just because they're the "best player on the roster" (see Raji), they're going to be starting only if they are substantially better than the last year's best players.

Competition is good. And this year offers an opportunity for competition that drafts rarely offer.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Shade Tree McCullers is not another B J Raji.

A better comparison would be Haloti Ngata ... but add 30 pounds.

If Ted goes for the Tree, he automatically gets a passing grade for this draft regardless of what else he does.

More I think of it, the more attractive Marquise Lee looks as the first pick despite the needs on defense.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Shade Tree? Is that what they call him? I've got one of them in my yard, and I won't say what it's primary use is, but I will say, my dogs are the primary users. That's about how useful IMO a big clod of a NT is - whether or not his name is Raji.

Getting this guy or Nix or anybody similar signifies a philosophy of defense that I don't like. I suppose I'm in the minority, and I suppose the Packers staff is predisposed to go that route, but I state clearly, I wish they would go the smaller mobile NT route.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Any one player, 1st round or otherwise, can be a bust. See: Jamal Reynolds, Justin Harrell, Raji(IMO).

I generally don't like trading down, but I still think this year is an exceptional year. I don't want a bunch of fourth rounders, but if you can get a few extra picks between 50 and 110 (second half of round 2 through the first 10 picks of the 4th). Right now the Packers have 3 picks in that range. If you could use the first pick together with their 5th/6th/7th to get, say, three more in that range, I think it's worth it.

I think there is so much there this year that you could pick up starter-quality players that would instantly upgrade the following positions: S, ILB, OLB, DT, TE, and C. Plus with a bit of luck, a player like Marquise Lee or Tre Mason could also fall into the second half of round 2 and add a new dimension to the offensive attack or one like Juwan James or Gabe Jackson could upgrade the OL.

Yeah, none of those except maybe Lee is going to give you as much at one position as Pryor will give you at FS or Mosley at ILB. But the Packers need upgrading at multiple starting positions, they don't just need depth.

And even if one is an optimist and believes that X number of current players might have potential to step it up next year, I'd rather have the pressure of real competition adding to their incentive; and, unlike usual 3rd rounders, there's a lot more pressure that this years crop is going to be able to push. What's Nick Perry going to do if he has Jeremiah Attachou to compete with, Brad Jones if he has Yawin Smallwood and Christian Jones to compete with? Hyde and Burnett if they have Deone Bucannon and Ahmad Dixon or Craig Loston? What's Bahktiari going to do if he has James pushing at him, or Tretter if he's got Weston Richburg or Travis Swanson? What's Raji going to do if he has to deal with Shade Tree and maybe Ryan Carrethers as well?

That may be the ultimate reason for going multiple trade down if possible. Not because we're going to get starters to pencil in at more positions, and not because they'll improve depth in more places, though both will be true. But the real reason for multiple trade downs this year is that no one is going to be starting just because they're the "best player on the roster" (see Raji), they're going to be starting only if they are substantially better than the last year's best players.

Competition is good. And this year offers an opportunity for competition that drafts rarely offer.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I am not advocating a move from 21 to 19 and give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in order to land JuWaun James. The deal has to make sense. It has to fit a need. It has to be someone they feel will not be available later and the drop of between that player and whoever is behind them on their big board represents a significant drop off.

I seriously doubt GB moves up. My conversation has always been in general terms not this specific draft.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago

Shade Tree? Is that what they call him? I've got one of them in my yard, and I won't say what it's primary use is, but I will say, my dogs are the primary users. That's about how useful IMO a big clod of a NT is - whether or not his name is Raji.

Getting this guy or Nix or anybody similar signifies a philosophy of defense that I don't like. I suppose I'm in the minority, and I suppose the Packers staff is predisposed to go that route, but I state clearly, I wish they would go the smaller mobile NT route.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Perhaps you will be tempted to bring your dogs to Green Bay to piss on shadetrees leg if they draft him.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.