DakotaT
9 years ago

You know what they say about opinions...

Originally Posted by: sschind 

DakotaT's is always the correct one?
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Character is important to this team.

This team doesn't try to make a living getting deals on players due to their off field issues. However they are willing to give players a chance on occasion.

I just think in this instance, it comes across as desperate.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That is exactly what I mean. When other team's do it it is getting deals on players due to their off field issues. The Packers do it it is giving guys a second chance. Its a load of crap.

I love the Green Bay Packers and I think they are a first class organization but they are not Saints. The ONLY reason they give guys second chances are because they are good at playing football. In that respect they are not any different than any other team.

Apparently a lot of people think Lyerla was first or second round talent, maybe third. Do you think the packers would have brought in a TE who had a 7th round grade or UDFA grade if he had the laundry list of issues that this guy has. No way. They are hoping the get a steal. It was the same with Johnny Jolly. They gave him a second chance because he was an extremely talented football player. They signed guys like Andre Rison and Koren Robinson because they thought they could help the team. They let go guys who had comparatively minor transgressions because they were marginal players and it makes them look like heroes. These guys may not have made the team anyway. Let the #53 man on the roster get a DUI and injure someone and they will let him go. Let Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews or Eddie Lacy do the same thing and they will "Stand by him and see that he gets the help he needs" The better you play the longer the leash.

I'm not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing just that it is a thing. Its a thing that all teams do to an extent. Some seem to do it more and yes, some seem to do it less but they all do it.

Character is important to this team but the better the player of the more potential he has the less character matters.

sschind
9 years ago

DakotaT's is always the correct one?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

well, there is something about assholes in the saying so maybe its just in the translation.[grin1]
play2win
9 years ago
Forgetting about all the crap and moving along with this player, as I feel confident Ted has done his due diligence, check out this article on the football aspects of what Colt Lyerla brings to the Packers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2069667-what-are-the-packers-getting-in-colt-lyerla-the-football-player?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=green-bay-packers 

This is a very interesting player to bring in through the tryout. The TE talent we now have on board is really super competitive, and loaded with good receiving and YAC characteristics. Super athletic.

I like that Colt has worked out of the backfield. It really makes me wonder if Ted will ever move on from John Kuhn at FB. ??? I would think with Colt's athleticism, versatility and blocking abilities, he could perform pretty damn well on STs and working as a lead blocker.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
The opening a roster spot thing for Kuhn is a great point. I think he could easily replace Taylor on ST's which is why Taylor is on the team in the first place. We could save two spots... Kuhn's and Ryan Taylor with Lyerla.

I read he's a project, though, and not ready to contribute which is the perfect place for him to be...ST's. We'll see.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Contract details are available for Colt Lyerla. And some will be saddened that it wasn't the 10 year $200 million some of he acted like he was going to sign. :)

2014: $420,000
2015: $510,000
2016: $600,000

That is providing he is on the roster. No signing bonus.

There is no more risk signing him than any other undrafted free agent.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
Can we let this guy make the team as a TE 1st before we start cutting veterans who have been a valuable part of what is and always has been a 53 man TEAM.

There are some who don't value guys like Kuhn and Taylor, and think any rookie can come in and replace them.

Thankfully The Packers have Ted and Mike and company to make the decisions of who stays or goes, and who know the value of veteran players who know what their role on The Packers is.

I hope Lyerla becomes the "steal of the century", but that isn't going to be proven this year, if he makes the team, you probably will see him mainly on Special Teams, but it won't be at the expense of guys like Kuhn and Taylor.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
9 years ago

Can we let this guy make the team as a TE 1st before we start cutting veterans who have been a valuable part of what is and always has been a 53 man TEAM.

There are some who don't value guys like Kuhn and Taylor, and think any rookie can come in and replace them.

Thankfully The Packers have Ted and Mike and company to make the decisions of who stays or goes, and who know the value of veteran players who know what their role on The Packers is.

I hope Lyerla becomes the "steal of the century", but that isn't going to be proven this year, if he makes the team, you probably will see him mainly on Special Teams, but it won't be at the expense of guys like Kuhn and Taylor.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

buckeye, with all due respect, I don't believe there are many here who do not value Kuhn and Taylor for what they bring. I just wonder if some of these younger talents might be able to knock a veteran or two off the shelf. Figure, cap numbers are both reasonable for both players. The things that really set them apart are somewhat one dimensional.

Personally, I haven't seen Kuhn blowing people up with regularity as a lead blocker on run plays. I just haven't. He is fantastic in pass protection. He is also a veteran leader on STs, and a close friend of Aaron Rodgers.

Ryan Taylor has done very little outside of STs. That has to be a concern.

i don't think Colt Lyerla is being anointed with a spot on the 53, but he does bring some very serious athleticism, that of a R1 or R2 talent. That has to be a consideration, especially with what will be a very tight roster to trim down.
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

buckeye, with all due respect, I don't believe there are many here who do not value Kuhn and Taylor for what they bring. I just wonder if some of these younger talents might be able to knock a veteran or two off the shelf. Figure, cap numbers are both reasonable for both players. The things that really set them apart are somewhat one dimensional.

Personally, I haven't seen Kuhn blowing people up with regularity as a lead blocker on run plays. I just haven't. He is fantastic in pass protection. He is also a veteran leader on STs, and a close friend of Aaron Rodgers.

Ryan Taylor has done very little outside of STs. That has to be a concern.

i don't think Colt Lyerla is being anointed with a spot on the 53, but he does bring some very serious athleticism, that of a R1 or R2 talent. That has to be a consideration, especially with what will be a very tight roster to trim down.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

They keep these guys around for a reason, Ryan Taylor was a (7th rnd) pick who made the team, and with the guys in front of him, it became pretty obvious, that he better excel on ST's, and he did.

The Packers have carried 4-5 even 6 TE's the last few years, they weren't all kept to become starters, in the case of Taylor, his value was ST's, his contract is up after this year.

Why would you cut a proven veteran, playing in his final year of his contract, and keep a guy who may or may not be able to perform at an NFL level.

Let Lyerla make the team, again, he is not going to make it at the expense of Taylor, he may knock out a Stoneburner or a Bostic, but with Taylor the team knows what they have.

Same with Kuhn, proven commodity, back in 2010 when the Packers were going through rb's, like nobody's business, Kuhn stepped up and at least gave them something until Starks came on.

Last year Kuhn became QB1's #1 protector, was a viable 3rd down option,and played ST's.
You don't replace guys like Kuhn(or Taylor) with "Potential"

I hope Ted and Mike don't cut Kuhn because Lyerla may be able to turn into a better lead blocker.

Kuhns cap hit this year is 1.026 mil, Taylors is .659mil, that is minimal money for what both provide for The Packers.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Your points are good ones, buckeye, but you also don't let a potential star, and Lyerla has that kind of talent, go to hang onto fringe position players that are only good at special teams.

I would be livid with Ted Thompson if he was keeping less talented guys on the roster for comfort level. I love John Kuhn although he's declining rapidly. Ryan Taylor is just okay.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."