wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Then what's the point of giving grades if you are giving a similar grade to a team that got an average starter and 3 4 + season back ups to one that cut all their players after 1 season. That first team with the same players could have the worst draft in a good season and the best draft in a bad season. If you want a meaningful comparison it has to be relative to what was available and what other teams did.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

steve, grade on a curve if you want. The grades are all subjective any way. If the draft pool is lousy and after a few years most of the players are journeymen or out of the league and you want to give teams high marks you are free to do so. I will still down grade if most of the players ore off the team.
UserPostedImage
luigis
9 years ago
Deja-Vu

This was already discussed but I'll say it again.

The 2011 class was horrible and we did a great job getting Cobb in the 2nd round. There was no talent after the first 15-20 picks.

Luis
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

1 (32) OT Derek Sherrod,
FAIL

-he will never play meaningful snaps in Green Bay.

2 (64) WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky;
B

-Cobb is very talented but has not produced. He has only 1 "good" season and 2 bad ones.

3 (96) RB Alex Green, Hawai'i;
FAIL

-terrible prospect to begin with, blown ACL in rookie year, and absolute shit when he did play.

4 (131) CB Davon House, New Mexico State;
C

-has been a good defender when he's in, I have a feeling he's been buried in the depth chart because of injuries, not ability.

5 (141) TE D.J. Williams, Arkansas;
D-

-Macky award winner, but too small to play TE in today's NFL. He gets a D- because he was able to hang around on STs for a while, though never made any memorable plays there either.

6 (179) G Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah;
FAIL

6 (186) LB D.J. Smith, Appalachian State;
C

6 (197) LB Ricky Elmore, Arizona;
FAIL

-cut before the season

7 (218) TE Ryan Taylor, North Carolina;
D

-Has never done anything but, has made some impact on STs.

7 (233) DT Lawrence Guy, Arizona State
FAIL

We only hit on one player who has given us only one year of solid production.

Regrade: F-F-FAILURE

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
9 years ago

A brutal draft.

It is a very, very good thing Ted Thompson hits in UDFA. He basically got guys like Sam Shields and Tramon Williams to produce like 1st round picks which offset his terrible misses in Round 1.

If Ted Thompson ever retires as GM, I want to retain him in the capacity of finding UDFA's as it is what he's best at. Bolt that quality onto a GM that uses FA and knows how to find talent up high, and we'd have the greatest GM that has ever graced the NFL.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It really was a brutal draft, all the way around. There did not seem to be a whole lot of supreme talent in the 2011, looking back on it through all 7 rounds. Just not a lot there.

You make a good point in UDFA signings too. Jamari Lattimore is now contending for the starting ILB spot next to Hawk. He has shown himself to be a relatively reliable backup at the position over the years, and he was the one signing that stuck. Lattimore had 2 sacks last year, to go with 24 Tackles, 1 PD and 1 FF. Not bad for a backup who didn't see much action. I have hopes that he can force his way into the starting lineup at ILB.

Tori Guhrley should have shown more, at least I had hopes he would have from that UDFA class.

The rest of the draft class has been covered pretty well. Cobb has turned out to be the gem of the class, and I look forward to seeing what he can bring this season, especially with such a deep WR group and some new talent at TE. Cobby will have a lot of single coverage this year.

Sherrod just suffered a catastrophic break, one that takes years in order to fully recover. He had a lot of talent coming in, enough so that Ted drafted him to cover Rodgers' blindside. I still believe he could be that player we've all hoped for over there, at least in a backup role. I believe Bakhtiari will come in far stronger this season, and will hold down that position well. But, it is always good to have a backup over there on the left with the ability and acumen for the position, and I believe Sherrod will finally get a chance to show he belongs this season. Has anyone on this roster worked harder, with more dedication to overcome such an enormous injury?

That leaves us with Ryan Taylor, a stalwart STs player. I do believe this area of the team gets under appreciated a bit, but quality play there is vital to team success. I wish we could see some more top play on STs, and hopefully, we have the talent on board to cover for what I believe will be his loss from the 53 man roster this year. He has produced well there.

As far as I am concerned, no worries giving this draft a poor grade, but we still may realize some success with a few of these players, our first two picks especially, which is kind of what you want out of a draft class that is not particularly deep.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I'll say it again. These players are STILL IN THE LEAGUE.

Just because Ted has stocked this team with so much talent, that it's hard to crack the lineup, doesn't mean that his drafts suck. It means our team is very good.

If the Queens drafted these same guys, they'd almost all be starters. Would that mean the draft was "better?"

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Pretty sure a good portion of those guys are not in the league.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Pretty sure a good portion of those guys are not in the league.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Good enough to be in the NFL, just not on OUR team.

And let's be real.

Sherrod and Green were both injured. Players are going to stop wanting to come here if that shit keeps up.

As for Cobb, he was too short. He's explosive, not in that he has raw speed, but in that he can change directions instantly. He's quick too. But Ted had to make an exceptioni to draft him, because normally they want guys who are taller. He's our version of Percy Harvin.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
The 2011 NFL Draft was kind of crap for everyone.

We took him up on the challenge in this list for our members. As it turns out, the Packers aren’t alone in wallowing in their draft misery:
— Carolina drafted eight players. Only Cam Newton remains.
— In the NFC North: Chicago drafted five players; only two remain. Detroit drafted five players; only one remains. Minnesota drafted 10 players; only three remain. Combined, they harvested four starters.
— Indianapolis and Houston each drafted five players; only one player remains.
— Philadelphia drafted 11 players; just three remain.
“The 2011 draft was perhaps the worst I can remember since the early ’80s,” said the NFL’s longtime head scout, Dave-Te’ Thomas.

Read More  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

The 2011 NFL Draft was kind of crap for everyone.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Denver pulled like 5 starters out of that draft, and look at them now.

and here I thought Elway would flop.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Denver's success the past few years is sorta mind boggling to me. I remember in 2011 Fox and Elway were all about grabbing a QB during draft so they could move on from Orton and Tebow as well as trading off Brandon Lloyd during the middle of the season for a draft pick to try and build through the draft. Then Tebow happened, they win the division and they suddenly reverse course and decide to go all in with Manning.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
steveishere
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Yeah they had a good draft, one of only a couple teams in the whole league that had a decent draft that year. Denver also was picking in the top 5 and had an extra 2nd round pick from trading Marshall. Looking down the list of players taken that was one awful draft league wide. I think it was pretty celebrated before hand too as being full of all these good players. It was a great draft in the top half of the first round but after that it's just brutal.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (1h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.