uffda udfa
9 years ago

WTF?

Yeah, how about you put up here? I hear a lot of talk... When are you going to back yours up?

Yeah, please do find the clip someone posted earlier that was very weak....

What a fucking load of BS. I mean, really. It is pretty disingenuous to point to a few plays where he might have over pursued and say it was a wasted pick. A "bust." I wanted DuQuan Jones. Played for Penn State. At the same time, his stat line was actually pretty unimpressive. I'm sure there are plenty of warts on his game tape...

I've posted all the Thornton game film I could find in an attempt to maybe see what Ted saw in him to go up and take him in R3. OK, he brings some energy and some size, speed, ability to play all along that DL, some different moves in swim and bull rushing, some instincts. I was as surprised as you at the Thornton selection, but I guess I can now see why they did it.

Was it a reach? Maybe. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I get that you're a rah rah every single pick is headed to the Hall of Fame kind of fan but that's not reality. I'm the yang to your yin.

Here's some analysis of Thornton from NFL.com and CBSsports.com:

Can be late to locate the ball and needs to do a better job of feeling blocking pressure and anticipating. Misses a lot of tackles. Minimal sack production.

Pass rush instincts are lacking and needs to be more technically sound in his approach...leaves production on the field and needs to be more reliable in his movements to finish when the ballcarrier is in the area.

Thornton has active feet and the strength to match up well at the next level, but his consistency is an issue, stemming from inconsistent technique and instincts, especially as a pass rusher.

---- Let me see if I can find that clip for you... actually, it was Steve who posted his performance against Lions 3rd round center selection, Travis Swanson. He looks unimpressive in this one and got pancaked at one point.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/khyri-thornton-vs-arkansas-2013/ 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
um that's not a highlight video and how does he look unimpressive? He manhandled Swanson play after play.
play2win
9 years ago

I get that you're a rah rah every single pick is headed to the Hall of Fame kind of fan but that's not reality. I'm the yang to your yin.

Here's some analysis of Thornton from NFL.com and CBSsports.com:

Can be late to locate the ball and needs to do a better job of feeling blocking pressure and anticipating. Misses a lot of tackles. Minimal sack production.

Pass rush instincts are lacking and needs to be more technically sound in his approach...leaves production on the field and needs to be more reliable in his movements to finish when the ballcarrier is in the area.

Thornton has active feet and the strength to match up well at the next level, but his consistency is an issue, stemming from inconsistent technique and instincts, especially as a pass rusher.

---- Let me see if I can find that clip for you... actually, it was Steve who posted his performance against Lions 3rd round center selection, Travis Swanson. He looks unimpressive in this one and got pancaked at one point.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/khyri-thornton-vs-arkansas-2013/ 

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Now you're really pissing me off!

Rah rah... Piss off man.

All I've done is looked into the picks Ted has made to see what it was that influenced his decisions, with very little info to really go on. After seeing some of that, I think I like what I've seen.

I've already shown you SI's draft profile on Nick Collins. And you post the equivalent in your BS argument on Thornton. Wow. oK...

And, that's all you've got...

Weak.

Before you jumped into this Forum, I had posted a thread lambasting Ted for some of his picks since 2010, saying he really needed to do better. So, I'm no Thompson apologist, but I appreciate what he is trying to do.

Take your BS rah rah comments and shove it bro!
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Boys, boys, BOYS!!

UserPostedImage

Focus on the player, not each other. No one cares about your battles between each other. Focus on the player, or no cookie for you.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

um that's not a highlight video and how does he look unimpressive? He manhandled Swanson play after play.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

You're right...it is not a highlight video. However, Thornton looks poor vs. Swanson and the Razorbacks. Swanson wasn't manhandled at all. Did you miss the pancaking of Khyri?

I'll stand by it and it can be revisited during/after the season. I think this guy is going to be a big time bust. Sack production went down every year at S. Miss. I don't think being in the NFL is going to help him become a force vs. the pass, and he likes to jump his man and run into the backfield regardless of where the football is. If it's there he looks outstanding, when it's not he looks foolish. I think it's great he gets up the field, I don't believe his game of side stepping and running past blockers will work in NFL.

We'll see... worst pick of the entire class right here.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago

You're right...it is not a highlight video. However, Thornton looks poor vs. Swanson and the Razorbacks. Swanson wasn't manhandled at all. Did you miss the pancaking of Khyri?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That's just not true. He straight shoves him into the backfield a bunch of times and rarely gets moved off the line without a double team.
play2win
9 years ago
From a pure fan's perspective, at the time I would have preferred Ted took:

DB Keith McGill
RB Dri Archer
ILB Telvin Smith
DE Brent Urban
DT DaQuan Jones
NT Ryan Carrethers
NT Daniel McCullers
SS Ahmad Dixon

I would have been very happy for Ted to have drafted any of those players instead of Thornton at the time. Many of those players were available as far back as R5-R7...

It is what it is. Ted made Thornton his selection in R3. We will have to wait and see if he was indeed the best choice there. No one knows, not at this point. For all the gloating over highlight videos, every player has his own that can be pointed to where he looks unstoppable, and where he looks pedestrian. Just pulled up the DaQuan Jones highlight video from their game against Ohio State. Wow, that was bad. Others, he looks pretty damn good.

There are other dimensions to a player's game that they look at for fit specific to team needs. I think the Khyri Thornton pick played into this area, more so than any overwhelming stats or physical characteristics. There is a versatility that he brings to our DL, which can prove to be very valuable when teams go no huddle on us and we may look to show different fronts without substituting. Maybe Ted overthought this one. Maybe not. We'll just have to see.

I hated the Thornton pick at the time, but after seeing what he can bring, I'm more encouraged, and can see some of the positive attributes that Ted and his staff expressed in making the selection. Never heard of the guy prior to this, but willing to wait and see how he fits into plans for improving our D.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
First off if most of us were as smart as we think we are with evaluating talent we would have a job doing it. It is fun to voice an opinion, but I see far too much talk like the opinion of the author is the only one that makes sense. It simply isn't true. Play2win brought up Nick Collins as Ted proving he knew more than the average scouting hack, but hell we could go even more recent and the reaction to Ted moving back into the first round to get CM3. Nobody thought that decision was a slam dunk and that Clay was a guaranteed probowler, but Ted knew something that us armchair scout idiots did not. Don't believe me the draft history posts on this site are still there for us to see. I'm not saying many thought he would be a bust, but I don't think many thought he was going to be the player he ended up being. Ted moving up to select Clay to me proves he knew more than most. The fact that he pulled that move on New England makes it even more impressive to me.

Did I like the Thorton pick? No. Do I think my opinion matters more than Ted's? No.
steveishere
9 years ago
Ted has been schooling the Patriots on draft trades since 2006 so that part of it isn't really any surprise lol.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Ted is the same guy who thought Jerron McMillian and or MD Jennings were the answer at Safety. Ted thought Brandon Jackson and Alex Green were the solution to our rushing woes. Ted thought Graham Harrell and BJ Coleman were competent NFL backups, as well as Seneca Wallace.

Ted thought Jeremy Thompson was worth moving up for... the list could go on and on.

Nick Collins was a pretty good pick but that doesn't mean Khyri Thornton will or won't be. Nick Collins selection has nothing to do with how well Khyri will turn out just as Jerron McMillian's selection won't either.

Nothing I'd love more than to be ganged up on and told how stupid I was for thinking this guy was going to bust.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
beast (1m) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (2m) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (30m) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (34m) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (46m) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (46m) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (49m) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (49m) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (1h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (2h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (2h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (2h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (2h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.