Cheesey
15 years ago

I liked it when Ted Thompson didn't know why they drafted Jordy Nelson. LOL Nice answer!

"gakko" wrote:

I'm 100% certain he knows why they drafted him.
Just because a GM doesn't feel he has to answer every question from every reporter doesn't mean he has no reason.
I mean.......whats he supposed to say? The obvious?
"I drafted Nelson because i think he's going to be a very good player for us."
There.........I answered it for TT.
I think maybe Ted Thompson is just tired of the STUPID questions.....like the one i just answered for him.
Plus......NO WHERE does it say that the GM of any organization has to give details of why he does anything.
Next question?
UserPostedImage
gakko
15 years ago
let me put it straight. I'm a Ted Thompson lover and he's the best GM in this damn league.
blank
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

let me put it straight. I'm a Ted Thompson lover and he's the best GM in this damn league.

"gakko" wrote:

Until we have two winning seasons under him and win a Super Bowl, he's behind Pioli in NE and Polian in Indy.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Packnic
15 years ago

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Until we have two winning seasons under him and win a Super Bowl, he's behind Pioli in NE and Polian in Indy.

"gakko" wrote:

agreed.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Chiefs pull rug out from Gonzalez-to-Green Bay deal

[img_r]http://cdntn.madison.com/images/articles/wsj/2008/10/15/88358_thumb.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY The Green Bay Packers thought they had a done deal to trade for nine-time Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the Kansas City Chiefs minutes before the trading deadline Tuesday when Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson raised the asking price.

According to two NFL sources familiar with the negotiations, the Packers had drawn up the trade paperwork and sent it to the Chiefs to finalize the deal a third-round pick for Gonzalez only to have the Chiefs call them 10 minutes before the deadline to say it would take a second-round pick to get the deal done.

The Chiefs ended up keeping Gonzalez, who is now angry a deal didn't get done.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson was traveling on a scouting trip Wednesday and could not be reached, administrative assistant Jeanne Bruette said.

But both NFL sources confirmed the Packers thought they had a deal. One source also said Gonzalez wanted to play for the Packers more than the other teams in the bidding.

The Packers "sent the papers and everything, thinking it was going to happen," the source said.

According to the source, the Packers, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles all made offers the Giants offering a fourth-round pick, the Eagles and Packers offering third-rounders. The source said the Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills made better offers but Gonzalez wasn't interested in playing for either team.

The Chiefs' initial asking price was a second- and fifth-round pick, which is what the New Orleans Saints gave the Giants for tight end Jeremy Shockey eariler this year.

The Packers, who are roughly $20 million below the salary cap, would have been responsible for 11/17ths of Gonzalez's $1 million base salary ($647,058.81) this year. Gonzalez has said he wants to play three more years, and his base salaries are $4 million in 2009, $4.5 million in '10 and $5.75 million in '11.

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL record for receptions (841), yards (10,075) and touchdowns (68) by a tight end, told FoxSports.com that he felt Peterson betrayed him.

"I'm shocked. It didn't make sense not to do this deal," the 32-year-old Gonzalez said. "It's winding down for me and this team is rebuilding. If they said from the get-go, 'No, we're not going to trade you,' that would've been better than how this whole thing unfolded. But that's not what happened.

"(Monday) night I talked to Carl and I point-blank asked him what it would take to get it done. I wanted to know if it could happen with a fourth. He started talking about a second and a fifth like the Shockey deal. Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end. All along Carl said he would do something that works for both parties. Then he talked about how he traded a third for Willie Roaf and he made it pretty clear to me that's what was going to get it done. That was certainly fair."

Gonzalez's understanding of how the deal was nixed also jibes with what the two NFL sources said.

"I know teams offered a third and in the end, Carl made the asking price a second," Gonzalez said. "I'm very disappointed that he didn't go through with it after he told me he was going to try to make it happen. I've been around this league a long time, it's a business. There's nothing I can do about it. I was (expletive) off about it but I'll get over it. I won't let it affect my play and my preparation."

On Wednesday, Gonzalez held a players-only meeting with his teammates to tell them he is about "being the best football player you can be no matter what the situation is." Peterson, meanwhile, told an Associated Press reporter in Kansas City that no team had "come close" to any reasonable offer, and Peterson made it sound as if he never wanted to trade Gonzalez in the first place.

"I was with (owner) Clark Hunt through this whole thing and we didn't have any offer that would match the value of losing Tony Gonzalez," Peterson told AP. "He may have a different opinion of his value. But we value him very, very highly. (And) we didn't get anything close to what was appropriate. I didn't really expect to. But I respected his request to see if there were teams that were interested and ones he had an interest in."

The Packers definitely had interest. Coach Mike McCarthy was with the Chiefs as quarterbacks coach in 1997 and '98, Gonzalez's first two NFL seasons, and assistant coaches Tom Clements, Mike Stock, Carl Hairston and Kurt Schottenheimer, negotiator Russ Ball and director of football operations John Schneider, the point-man on the trade talks, all worked in Kansas City during Gonzalez's time there.

Asked about the deal falling through, McCarthy didn't sound pleased.

"Tony Gonzalez, he's an excellent player. I think his continuing career at Kansas City speaks for itself," McCarthy said. "We've talked about this all of the time player acquisitions, I don't speak on those terms. I have great confidence in our personnel department and the process and the decision-making that goes into that. There is a lot of conversation that goes on, and I know the significance of (Tuesday) being the trade deadline and so forth, but that's all I've got to say about that."

Asked if he had more input because he coached Gonzalez, McCarthy said simply, "I have an opinion in the building."

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
Thanks for the info Zero. It is plain to see it was all TT's fault. :shrug:
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago
Damn you Carl Peterson.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I'm telling ya man. Ted tries, but it takes two.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
10 minutes to write up a new deal involving a 2nd round pick? They're just a bunch of asses over there in KC. No wonder their team is being driven into the ground. It's a shame too. They have a cool venue and a great fan base.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

I'm telling ya man. Ted tries, but it takes two.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Agreed. I was just mocking the Ted bashers. I will go stand in the corner now.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.