Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steveishere  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:40:15 PM(UTC)
http://profootballtalk.n...ded-through-2020-season/

Quote:
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, it could be worth up to $126 million, with $60 million guaranteed.

As always, the devil will reside in the financial details of this deal.
steveishere  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:42:13 PM(UTC)
Unless they did some trickery with the structure I don't really see how this pays off for them. They are going to have to change their offensive philosophy a bit because I don't know how you justify Kaepernick for 21m over Alex Smith for 8m with the scheme they've been running.
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:45:27 PM(UTC)
QB Colin Kaepernick: It’s a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020

I am all for a man getting what he can, but how do these stats merit that contract??

Started 23 games of 32 he's played in the regular season.
17 wins as a starter and 6 losses.

Completions: 382
Attempts: 639
Comp%: 59.8%
Yards: 5,046
TD: 31
INT: 11

RushAtt: 157
Yards: 937
TD: 9

Colin must be an amazing leader. Those are good statistics for a season and those are for his career!!
steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:54:18 PM(UTC)
Up to this point they have protected him with their scheme giving him easy 1 or 2 man reads and running a lot. Maybe the guy can actually read a defense and be a dynamic passer or something and they just haven't unleashed him yet lol.
mi_keys  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:01:40 PM(UTC)
http://overthecap.com/to...salaries.php?Position=QB

If the $126M is correct it's the second biggest contract for a quarterback in the NFL. The 2nd through 4th largest contracts would be Kaepernick, Flacco and Ryan...

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing]

...looking forward to the final details.
musccy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:05:29 PM(UTC)
Thank God the Pack have ARod signed before this deal. This will give the Colts and Seahawks fits!

With that said, he has torched the Packers multiple times. I would never pay him this much, but I also get it and what his potential could be.
StarrMax1  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:13:59 PM(UTC)

According to article in our newsfeed:

http://profootballtalk.n...idway-through-offseason/

The 49'rs are only $1,565,780 under the cap, this was before the signing announcement.

60 mil guaranteed would mean 10mil each year minimum plus any base salary.

The ramifications? The 49rs are going to have to cut 8-10 mil in salary pretty quick.

The top 51 salaries count against the cap this time of the year, will be interesting to see how they manage this one.

uffda udfa  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
Niners took a HUGE risk on many levels with this guy especially given this:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/...-not-over-officials-say/

I've been waiting for the Niners and Hawks to allocate a large percentage of their cap to their starting QB's like we do. It's been an unlevel playing field financially speaking due to us having to pay Rodgers and the Niners and Hawks having their starters on rookie deals.

There is no single player I dislike, in a sporting sense, more in the NFL than Colin Kaepernick.

What a shot to the Niners it would be to see some forensics not turning out the way they're expected.
musccy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:45:52 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post

I've been waiting for the Niners and Hawks to allocate a large percentage of their cap to their starting QB's like we do. It's been an unlevel playing field financially speaking due to us having to pay Rodgers and the Niners and Hawks having their starters on rookie deals.

There is no single player I dislike, in a sporting sense, more in the NFL than Colin Kaepernick.

What a shot to the Niners it would be to see some forensics not turning out the way they're expected.

We all knew the salary cap ramifications were coming for the '9ers and especially the Seahawks. They deserve the credit for drafting well, but it's about to catch up with both of them.

I too am not a fan of Colin, or Harbaugh so I'm hoping this blows up in their face.
mi_keys  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:50:06 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post

I'd rather he turn out innocent and then proceed to suck more dick than the entire population of San Francisco through the end of his contract in 2020.
DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:22:43 PM(UTC)
Thank you 49'ers. You just made my NFL related day! [duh] [duh]
cheeseheads123  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:48:18 PM(UTC)
He should thank the Packers defense.
DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:40:35 PM(UTC)
What's going to happen when he rips up a knee and actually has to play quarterback, cause he can't outrun guys anymore?
musccy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:14:40 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
What's going to happen when he rips up a knee and actually has to play quarterback, cause he can't outrun guys anymore?

I hear rg3 is a great pocket passer
uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:40:59 AM(UTC)
from Profootballtalk.com...

Quote:
Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

Starting in 2015, $400,000 per year is tied to workout bonuses, which adds up to $2.4 million of the base value.

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.
steveishere  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:45:58 AM(UTC)
Yeah the 49ers gave themselves a way out of it, good for them. They still have to either start over at QB or fit him into their salary cap at 17+ million every season. Neither of those situations seem too great.
gbguy20  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:52:04 AM(UTC)
smart move niners
StarrMax1  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:11:21 AM(UTC)
Just read where Vernon Davis wants paid.

His contract is up at the end of this year.

Wonder how non-negotiations(if that's what The 49r's decide to do) will effect his play this coming year.

I guess it's time to see if The 49r's know how to control their cap space, and keep thie rteam together.
sschind  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:01:39 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah the 49ers gave themselves a way out of it, good for them. They still have to either start over at QB or fit him into their salary cap at 17+ million every season. Neither of those situations seem too great.

Just like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers except the Kaepernick deal has much less dead money if they decide to start over. I think this is going to be a benchmark for future deals in the way it is structured and I like it. Make em earn a good portion of it by performing. He will still get nice chunk of guaranteed money every year he is kept but if his performance diminishes it will still allow the 49ers to keep him around by having the amount reduced. Julius Peppers might still be a Bear if he had something like this.

One thing is for certain March 31st will be a day of anticipation for 49ers fans for the next few years.

Dulak  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:03:27 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1 said: Go to Quoted Post
According to article in our newsfeed:

http://profootballtalk.n...idway-through-offseason/

The 49'rs are only $1,565,780 under the cap, this was before the signing announcement.

60 mil guaranteed would mean 10mil each year minimum plus any base salary.

The ramifications? The 49rs are going to have to cut 8-10 mil in salary pretty quick.

The top 51 salaries count against the cap this time of the year, will be interesting to see how they manage this one.

and V davis is holding out for more money - where they going to get that from? and crabtree is coming due etc ...
Rss Feed