nerdmann
9 years ago

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not (I know nothing of Randy Moss' youth) but I am sure lots of people have incidences in their youth that if not handled properly can turn them into jerks. They don't all turn into jerks. Being a jerk is as much about choosing to be a jerk as it is about your experiences.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Brief overview here. 

Not everyone at Dupont liked the idea of black and white students intermingling. “Red Neck Alley” was a section of the school aptly nicknamed. Lockers were decorated with Confederate flags and Ku Klux Klan symbols. Randy was a primary target for the kids who inhabited that area.

Randy found safe haven on the football field, where he led the Panthers to state football titles as a sophomore and junior, in 1992 and 1993. He and Williams nearly delivered a state hoops crown in 1993-94, when they paced Dupont all the way to the finals. By Randy’s senior year, he was West Virginia’s best schoolboy prospect, earning Player of the Year recognition in both football and basketball. He had given up baseball and track by this point, though he demonstrated all-state ability in both.

Randy was recruited by most of the major college football powerhouses, including Notre Dame and Florida State. The Mountaineers of West Virginia were also in hot pursuit. When Randy opted for the Fighting Irish, fans in his home state weren’t happy.

At Dupont, the kids from Red Neck Alley now had another reason to dislike Randy. They already were incensed by his choice of girlfriends, a white girl name Libby Offutt. (She and Randy already had a child.) In March of 1995, a fight broke out at school, and Randy jumped into the fray. When the police showed up, he was arrested. Since Randy was 18, he was charged as an adult. With public sentiment against him, the teenager felt he had no choice but to plead guilty. Randy was sentenced to 30 days in jail and got expelled from school. Alarmed by the turn of events, the administration at Notre Dame rescinded his scholarship.

Everybody loved Moss. Long as he kept his hands off of white girls and smiled when they hassled him in "Redneck Alley." The way I heard it was, he knocked up the white girl, so some redneck goons attacked her. Randy confronted those guys and messed them up, shut their pie holes for them.

This just happened to be around the time of the OJ Simpson case. So there was alot of negative publicity. Randy went from everybody loving him to him practically being construed as a double murderer. Opened his eyes a little bit, perhaps made him a bit cynical.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
As I recall he repeatedly failed drug tests for pot. Not a big deal as far as drugs go but if it's the rule and you violate it and flaunt it, you are a problem. Warren Sapp was also a pothead but not nearly as badly...I think he got busted at his combine drug test, and that's why HE wasn't at the very top of his draft class.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
sschind
9 years ago
Thanks for the post nerd. It is as shame that some people have to put up with crap like that but many people do and some have to deal with far worse.

Obviously people handle adversity in different ways. Some people can overcome it and others let it control them. However one decides to deal with it it is clear that things like this will have an influence on your character and behavior as an adult.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.