DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Pick was a great player. He just got really run down this past year or so. It was just his time I think. Every athlete has that moment and last season it was obvious Pickett was having his. Jolly was having a good year and then everything caught up to him as well. I really felt like I was watching his swansong early. We need a better rotation and I believe we will have one this year.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
StarrMax1
9 years ago

The thing is, the really bad scenario was when Raji played at the same time as Pickett. At least, we won't be seeing that shit this season. I always regarded Pickett as unheralded because be deserved to be unheralded. So little was expected of him that the rare times he made even an average play, he got praised. Raji was about the same, just with higher expectations. Most teams have one fat blob in their D-Line. It just bothered me when the Packers had two.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You are an ass, sorry but I call them as I see them.

I'm not gonna defend Raji for his performance last year, because he wasn't very good.

Pickett on the other hand was a rock on the D-line for years, you take on 1, 2 sometimes 3 300lb + O-lineman every play, you better have some weight to throw around.

Age caught up to him last year, and injuries, but because Pickett is the type of player he is he, he stayed on the field whether he was 100% or not.

You need to check on what the responsibilites of a NT are when playing the 3-4 defense.

You think The Packers will get better if they throw 3 or 4 285 --300 lb d-lineman on the field, if so, you need a reality check.

Stop with the name-calling, it's bush league, and just plain idiotic.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

You are an ass, sorry but I call them as I see them.

I'm not gonna defend Raji for his performance last year, because he wasn't very good.

Pickett on the other hand was a rock on the D-line for years, you take on 1, 2 sometimes 3 300lb + O-lineman every play, you better have some weight to throw around.

Age caught up to him last year, and injuries, but because Pickett is the type of player he is he, he stayed on the field whether he was 100% or not.

You need to check on what the responsibilites of a NT are when playing the 3-4 defense.

You think The Packers will get better if they throw 3 or 4 285 --300 lb d-lineman on the field, if so, you need a reality check.

Stop with the name-calling, it's bush league, and just plain idiotic.

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

Note to "management" - I'm not the one doing the namecalling. With the exception of Dakota, I virtually never am.

Are you the reincarnation of some other poster - buckeye, for example? I see you have only been posting since May 9.

True, I have advocated a smaller more mobile D-Line - theoretically before you were even in the forum, which begs the question of how did you deduce that? I have also said repeatedly, we would be better off with a 3-4 NT similar to Jay Ratliff a few years ago. I'm resigned to the fact we are stuck with damn Raji at NT this year - I'm just thankful, as I said, we won't have two like him on the field at the same time.

And I NEVER liked Pickett, even when he supposedly was better. He stumbled and bumbled into a few average plays on his best days. Good riddance to him.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
StarrMax1
9 years ago

Note to "management" - I'm not the one doing the namecalling. With the exception of Dakota, I virtually never am.

Are you the reincarnation of some other poster - buckeye, for example? I see you have only been posting since May 9.

True, I have advocated a smaller more mobile D-Line - theoretically before you were even in the forum, which begs the question of how did you deduce that? I have also said repeatedly, we would be better off with a 3-4 NT similar to Jay Ratliff a few years ago. I'm resigned to the fact we are stuck with damn Raji at NT this year - I'm just thankful, as I said, we won't have two like him on the field at the same time.

And I NEVER liked Pickett, even when he supposedly was better. He stumbled and bumbled into a few average plays on his best days. Good riddance to him.

I apologize for the "ass" statement,

I was referring to you calling these guys fat slobs, when their position dictates that they need the weight to take on multiple O-lineman.

What happens if some of these guys go down with injuries, or maybe they don't show the improvement expected of them,

You would rather watch The Packers get ran over rather than bring Pickett back who has proven he can do the job asked of him?

Because you never liked him?

I never really liked Nick Barnett, but sure appreciated what he brought to the table when he was healthy.

Dulak
9 years ago

I was referring to you calling these guys fat slobs, when their position dictates that they need the weight to take on multiple O-lineman.

What happens if some of these guys go down with injuries, or maybe they don't show the improvement expected of them,

You would rather watch The Packers get ran over rather than bring Pickett back who has proven he can do the job asked of him?

I never really liked Nick Barnett, but sure appreciated what he brought to the table when he was healthy.

ya barnett has some nice stats but then fell in love withhimself too much with the whole twitter thing etc ...

I liked pickett; he was decent - not great IMO, raji at first was good but then petered out ... worthy nah, errr wilson - def nah ...

Im quite interested how all these new guys will do. I dont mind the change with our Dline - wasnt that impressive last year. Glad we got peppers else I would be a bit worried thou.
play2win
9 years ago

Do you understand the 3-4 defense and the role of the NT in a 3-4? You clearly have no appreciation for solid NT work. Maybe you are just not watching texas, because Pickett has made a ton of great plays in his career in GB.

So, I guess you consider Mike Daniels to be a far superior DL than Ryan Pickett ever was?

Mike Daniels highest ranking amongst all DL in the NFL was #122, last year.

Ryan Pickett's worst ranking in his career was #148, last year.

Here is how Ryan Pickett ranked statistically against -all- DL in the NFL:

2003 #56 (STL)
2004 #50 (STL)
2005 #13 (STL)
2006 #11
2007 #66
2008 #38
2009 #95
2010 #86
2011 #79
2012 #24
2013 #148

So, there is no "supposedly" better play regarding Ryan Pickett. He was an incredible player for us, and he garnered those stats while playing the NT, a position that requires taking on multiple blockers, eating up space, securing lanes for the LBs to do their work, and stopping the run.

Note the change in Pickett's numbers after Dom Capers came to GB in 2009 to install our 3-4 defense. His responsibilities changed and so did his numbers. Regardless, during his time in GB he never (until his injury riddled last year here) posted anything as poor as Mike Daniels' #122 ranking in 2013, and many here, including myself, consider Daniels to currently be our best DL. Figure too, Daniels plays a position with a whole lot more range to make plays as a DE in our 3-4.

Ryan Pickett's 2012 season was remarkable considering his role, and the lack of talent that was around him.

Comments from McCarthy shortly after Capers' hiring in 2009:

Capers has run both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses and McCarthy expects him to run variations of both depending on personnel, opponents and game situations. The base scheme will be the 3-4 that Capers created in the early 1990s in Pittsburgh, and the one the Steelers will use when they play in Super Bowl XLIII in two weeks.

"It gives you the ability to utilize your personnel, the flexibility," McCarthy said of using outside linebackers in traditional positions or as defensive ends. "(It) doesn't mean we won't line up in a four-man front. We'll move in and out of both four-man and three-man fronts. It's an excellent run defense; it creates pass rush on the quarterback."

McCarthy said the defense forced opposing offenses to cut their play selection in half to deal with the combinations of defensive formations and blitz possibilities. The three defensive linemen are generally stout run defenders who anchor the front and allow the linebackers to move freely.

"From a personnel standpoint, I'm in favor of the 3-4 because it's the body type that I think will enhance the type of football we want to play here in Green Bay, particularly in November and December," McCarthy said.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37856129.html

And then, who could forget this:

Pickett played a major role on the 3-4 defensive line during the Packers' postseason. He trailed only Charles Woodson as the longest-tenured NFL player on the Packers' defense. He had 2 tackles in Super Bowl XLV but, more importantly, was instrumental in one of the game's biggest plays. On the first play of the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh Steelers were trailing the Packers 21-17, but had a second-and-two at the Packers' 33-yard-line. Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall took a handoff and was immediately met in the backfield by Pickett. Pickett had Mendelhall wrapped up, allowing Clay Matthews to force a fumble by sandwiching Mendenhall between himself and Pickett. Packers' linebacker Desmond Bishop recovered the fumble and the Packers offense would march down the field to extend their lead to 28-17. The Packers would go onto a 31-25 victory, bringing Green Bay their first championship title in fourteen years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Pickett

Maybe you were in the bathroom for that play...
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

I don't need apologies; I've been namecalled a lot worse and a helluva lot more times by the Evil One hahahaha.

I'm still curious if you are really a newby or just a reincarnated old timer.

Am I reading this right - that you are comparing Pickett to Nick Barnett? I liked Nick Barnett - he was a playmaker who occasionally got beat being out of position , and he was a showboat. Pickett is a damn garbage barge hahahaha. He was perceived as "steady", but he practically never made plays. Sure, people can cite his "role" - just taking up space, but when you see how we were run against, he (and Raji) didn't even do that very well, and I don't just mean last season.

Do I want to see the Packers "run over"? Do YOU want to see the Packers run AROUND - which was way too easy with two big (how can I say this without offending you hahahaha?) immobile poor tackling nothings in the D-Line?

Hell Yeah, I consider Mike Daniels MUCH better than Pickett at his best - you actually don't? I know it isn't gonna happen much anyway, this season, but I'd really like to see Daniels or maybe Worthy or at least Boyd at NT - somebody in there who there is some hope could actually be an eleventh player with the ability to make a tackle. I saw this type of D with Jay Ratliff at NT for the Cowboys. It is far superior to having some ....... let's just say non-factor there. Most over-size NTs - Wilfork, Ngata, etc. at least have a little bit of ability to move and tackle; Ours did not. It was like playing 10 against 11, and when they were both on the field, 9 against 11.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.