uffda udfa
9 years ago

And Adams, Janis and Abbrederis. We're looking at this from a total number of receiving threats perspective. Jimmy Graham, by all sources had over 140 targets last year, placing him somewhere between 10th and 15th most in the NFL amongst all players. Taking a quick glance, Graham is probably top 10 in targets over the last 3 years.

Since then we also signed Shields to a big deal as well as Peppers (at least it's big after this year). Our salary cap situation is different now. You've not addressed this in relation to cap space for Jimmy Graham. You've also been happy to cite Schefter and a few others that we should go for Graham, but you just dismiss their opinion when they state that we will have to let either Jordy or Cobb walk.

Which was disappointing. Let's see how he does come training camp. Jimmy Graham didn't attend OTAs either, which also happened post March 3rd.

Finley was out most of last year. He was out most of 2010 when we won the Super Bowl with Quarless starting. That didn't stop our offense from functioning at a very high level during those periods (while we still had Rodgers). As for no one else being able to do for us what Finley did, lots of Packers players get injured every year.

We don't need Jimmy Graham at the price.

And don't blanket all of us with play2win's optimism (which you exaggerate anyway). He's entitled to such; but, that doesn't mean the rest of us are on the exact same page as him. I happen to think tight end is a question mark. I believe Quarless can be an average level NFL starter based on the fact that his production last year post Finley's injury projects to about 450-500 yards and 4 TDs for a full year starting. He's basically had 2.5 years of play time due to injury and played better towards the end of the year. That tells me it's not unreasonable to suggest mid 500s yards and 4-5 TDs, especially with Rodgers at the helm. The rest have nice potential. Hopefully, it pans out for at least one of them.

Because he's labelled as a wide receiver (and is a wide receiver, so you don't confuse my meaning).

Because the stories pander to very rudimentary logic. That's already been pointed out. The Packers depth at wide receiver is better than it is at tight end. On its face, the Graham story makes more sense due to him being labelled a tight end. The labels belie the fact Graham's role has been very similar to that of a wide receiver. He takes the hybrid tight end just that one more step closer to being a wide receiver.

And regarding the opinions of Schefter, where in his career has he played football at a high level or been part of a coaching staff or a backroom staff? He studied journalism in school and his entire career has been journalism. You're mistaking being respected for having inside information and breaking stories with a pretty good track record for being an expert on assessing team needs and the cost-benefit analysis GMs and their staffs go through to make personnell decisions. I see no reason to take any journalist's opinion as gospel.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

What have any of our rookies or UDFA's proven at the NFL level? You have stated you're looking at this as a totality of weapons type situation when most of the "weapons" you cited might be squirt guns, if that.

Schefter posted a tweet...his opinion...on TWITTER...not something that gets page hits. His followers can see it and it can be retweeted. It wasn't a shock value article. It was his opinion that he felt strongly enough to put out there when he mostly is a newsie for the NFL. He follows the NFL...he breaks stories and is plugged in with NFL GM's and executives. He understands how this stuff works than all of us do. This tweet was first discredited due to it's date which is ridiculous so now it's that he's a nobody and he had some agenda but he's nothing anyway. Wow. Just wow on the attempts to debunk. If you don't agree that is one thing...

I've addressed the salary cap far more than anyone on this forum has by a longshot within this thread. How unreal for you to come here and tell me how I haven't considered the cap ramifications. Honestly, that is one doozy of a comment that I just ...I just don't even know how to respond to that. Amazed.

For the record, I've not exaggerated p2w's homerism at all... I've merely reposted things that he's typed here, tried denying calling me all kinds of names, and then ultimately rabidly defended when he could no longer deny them. Go use the search function to catch up on Davante being better than Sterling Sharpe, R. Rodgers and Lyerla being better than Finley, and in this thread that Boykin might move up to a 1 or 2 this season when before he was talking about how Adams was going to displace him as the 3 all based on one stat DS posted. If you don't think that the way I've characterized him is fair I'd like to tell me where I've been unfair. It's against my nature and belief sytem to do so. Will I have fun with it...you bet. It's hysterical reading some fan typing some crazy homer postings and defending them. This forum is entertainment for me. It's a fun outlet to talk about our opinions on a game that really matters nothing in the context of real life. It's a distraction from our daily lives. I go full tilt but for fun. If it isn't that for you I'm sorry. It seems that some here love to hate. Being the villain is fine I guess but it's as a result of not being on board with homer viewpoints and typing things that draw ire against those.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StarrMax1
9 years ago

What have any of our rookies or UDFA's proven at the NFL level? You have stated you're looking at this as a totality of weapons type situation when most of the "weapons" you cited might be squirt guns, if that.

Schefter posted a tweet...his opinion...on TWITTER...not something that gets page hits. His followers can see it and it can be retweeted. It wasn't a shock value article. It was his opinion that he felt strongly enough to put out there when he's mostly is a newsie for the NFL. He follows the NFL...he breaks stories and is plugged in with NFL GM's and executives. He understands how this stuff works than all of us do. This tweet was first discredited due to it's date which is ridiculous so now it's that he's a nobody and he had some agenda but he's nothing anyway. Wow. Just wow on the attempts to debunk. If you don't agree that is one thing...

I've addressed the salary cap far more than anyone on this forum has by a longshot within this thread. How unreal for you to come here and tell me how I haven't considered the cap ramifications. Honestly, that is one doozy of a comment that I just ...I just don't even know how to respond to that. Amazed.

For the record, I've not exaggerated p2w's homerism at all... I've merely reposted things that he's typed here, tried denying calling me all kinds of names, and then ultimately rabidly defended when he could no longer deny them. Go use the search function to catch up on Davante being better than Sterling Sharpe, R. Rodgers and Lyerla being better than Finley, and in this thread that Boykin might move up to a 1 or 2 this season when before he was talking about how Adams was going to displace him as the 3 all based on one stat DS posted. If you don't think that the way I've characterized him is unfair I'd like to tell me where I've been unfair. It's against my nature and belief sytem to do so. Will I have fun with it...you bet. It's hysterical reading some fan typing some crazy homer postings and defending them. This forum is entertainment for me. It's a fun outlet to talk about our opinions on a game that really matters nothing in the context of real life. It's a distraction from our daily lives. I go full tilt but for fun. If it isn't that for you I'm sorry. It seems that some here love to hate. Being the villain is fine I guess but it's as a result of not being on board with homer viewpoints and typing things that draw ire against those.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Schefters tweet was also posted to his FB account, your the research man, figured you would know that. Interesting remarks from Packer fans, even in march, I'll let you look it up.

So now you are saying,you really don't care what The Packers do, you just like to come here and stupidly argue for your own entertainment.

Good to know.

uffda udfa
9 years ago
Where did I say I didn't care what they do? I said in the context of real life debating a game on a message board is nothing to produce hate as it seems to flow from some with their foul language and name calling. Do you see me dropping F bombs and calling people douchebags? No...and you won't...ever. It's like someone who plays a game like dungeons and dragons hating on someone for mocking a character or game strategy. Really? It's entertainment and won't make me hate. I don't hate anyone here...I know none of you in real life.

You are free to use yet another thing that defies logic to invalidate. Sometimes that is your only option. Go back to the draft postings and tell me I'm not passionate about what this team does. I just won't stoop to hating TT, another poster or anyone.

BTW, lots of people have their Twitter feeding their FB page and many of them will NEVER post a thing to their FB account directly. BTW, I didn't know Shifty had his page linked to FB. I tend not to look for my sports news on FB as I use it to interact with people I actually know in real life.

Cobb for Graham. Everybody wins!

EDIT: This is the first article I've seen detailing what teams might have interest in Andre Johnson. There is 25% of the NFL represented in this piece but the Packers aren't one of them, yet, nobody can man up and admit the reason why the Packers aren't mentioned is because we don't have the gaping hole at WR that we do at TE. Those fools in the media just think we have a need at TE and just throw out names with no logic at all behind it. Rudimentary, my Dear Watson. Green Bay not mentioned for Andre Johnson but mentioned by MULTIPLE reputable sources as a place for Jimmy Graham. Hmmmm. Those rope pushing rudimentary idiots! The same idiots that said the Vikings need a QB...man, those clowns are wrong just catering to rudimentary interests.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/taking-a-look-at-the-teams-that-would-could-should-be-interested-in-andre-johnson/ 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago
I'm still trying to figure out how uffda has so much time to endlessly debate this topic. Good for him, I guess?
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how uffda has so much time to endlessly debate this topic. Good for him, I guess?

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You should be asking the same to p2w... ever since Z2C put up the stat metric he's been ubiquitous after being scarce before it's arrival.

UserPostedImage

dhazer
9 years ago

Cite a couple of the implied many examples Adam Schefter throws out on his Twitter feed. Show me the money.

What you claim as "proving absolutely nothing" is just something you can't refute or produce a well reasoned response to. Where did I say I was right? Do I think I'm right? Do you? Of course you think you're right. Probably no less than I do but you'll use what you do, as well, to slam me. The pinnacle of hypocrisy, I might add. This topic isn't about me which is what those who can't hang try to make it. I've had several insults and charges of "BS" hurled at me from someone who as often as a full lunar eclipse makes a well reasoned response to things that I post. Calling something "BS" with absolutely nothing counter to it other than your insults an inaccurate information reflects nothing on me and accomplished the opposite of it's intentions.

The Andre Johnson comment is extremely germane to this topic. You choose not to respond to it because you can not respond to it with anything that helps your point. All it does is remove another leg from the flimsy reasons offered in response to points that have been detailed.

Jimmy Graham is going to want a heckuva lot more than 5 million. This shows how little attention has been paid to this topic but we've already been down that road. Graham is upset because the arbitrator ruled he's a TE which drops his one year compensation from 12.3 million (which is WR tag price) to 7 million which is the TE tag price. He is upset about 7 million, and hasn't signed an extension that would pay him 9.5 million so I don't know why you ranged him from 5-10...he's pissed at 7, so far has rejected 9.5, so he ain't taking 5. He would likely command the 12 and possibly more as a FA but before you rush to respond to that figure...he isn't in that position.

This is coming to a head. The 15th is almost upon us and he hasn't been extended which is the deadline if tag stays on which it should to New Orleans benefit.

Michael Rodney of Packer Update has stated it will take a lot more to sign Randall than it will Jordy. The Packers simply may not want to pay what Cobb is seeking. They may be in the Graham boat that New Orleans is in right now. Maybe, we can deal Randall to New Orleans straight up for Graham or with an additional later pick thrown in. I'd rather have Graham than Randall but the age difference gives me some pause. Hey, this way Boykin, who is ready to be our #1 can move up. 🙂 (that is good natured sarcasm who missed a post from another poster earlier)

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

you have such a hard on for this trade its funny. This trade reminds me of the Vikes trading for Hershel Walker, or Ditka trading for Ricky "wedding dress" Williams. How did that all turn out for them?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

you have such a hard on for this trade its funny. This trade reminds me of the Vikes trading for Hershel Walker, or Ditka trading for Ricky "wedding dress" Williams. How did that all turn out for them?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Herschel was referenced earlier in the thread. Ricky Williams is apples oranges deal... he was an unproven draft prospect whereas Jimmy Graham is a proven nightmare for NFL defenses.

Jimmy would be better in Green Bay than he is in New Orleans.

One strange thing about that trade... Walker wracked up over 1500 yards rushing his year before the infamous trade.

His first season in Minnesota they handed it to Herschel 111 times less than he got it the previous year in Dallas. Had Herschel gotten the ball the additional 111 times at the 3.7 YPC he was averaging he would've gained 1325 yards. The Vikes made the trade and then didn't use him enough.

How'd the Jared Allen trade work out for Minnesota and for us?
UserPostedImage

Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Why does this comment not surprise me. I hear a lot of the same kind of talk from many Packer fans. Jeffery puts up a fantastic year and he is a little over rated and Boykin puts up a decent year and he is very under rated. I just don't see it but then again I don't have my glasses on. Only Boykin's momma would take him over Jefferey and she would have to think about it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Calling Boykins year a decent year and Jefferey's year fantastic is a perfect example what I meant.

After Cobb went down, Boykin really stepped up. His per target stats were as good as Jeffery's. After the Baltimore game, he was actually better. He had more catches per target, fewer fumbles and fewer drops.

You can say Jeffery is a better WR because he gets targeted more, but I think that is like saying Brees is a better QB than Rodgers just because he throws it 650 times a year.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
StarrMax1
9 years ago
"Jimmy Graham is going to want a heckuva lot MORE than 5 million. This shows how little attention has been paid to this topic but we've already been down that road. Graham is upset because the arbitrator ruled he's a TE which drops his one year compensation from 12.3 million (which is WR tag price) to 7 million which is the TE tag price. He is upset about 7 million, and hasn't signed an extension that would pay him 9.5 million so I don't know why you ranged him from 5-10...he's pissed at 7, so far has rejected 9.5, so he ain't taking 5. He would likely command the 12 and possibly more as a FA but before you rush to respond to that figure...he isn't in that position.

This is coming to a head. The 15th is almost upon us and he hasn't been extended which is the deadline if tag stays on which it should to New Orleans benefit."

I was actually trying to throw you a bone on this one, lowering the amount, to 5- 10 mil 😆 but you just strengthened the argument of why TED will never do the deal.

Thanks

JIMMY GRAHAM IS NOT WORTH 2 1ST RND PICKS AND 10+MIL A YEAR to The Green Bay Packers.

No stat, article, or "talking head" comment will change that fact.

Please tell me that you will drop this futile argument after July 15th. It really has ran it's course and is not funny anymore.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Why is Jeffreys such a fantastic receiver? He can catch a jump ball, but is his route running superior to Boykins?

I would give bucket head Marshall the nod on being better than Jordy though. Marshall is just flat out gifted, whereas Jordy worked his ass off to be the receiver he is. Love that other players in the league nicknamed Nelson "white chocolate", pretty good praise from his piers.
UserPostedImage