WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Beast, plain and simple my argument is based on fact and statistics, yours is based on feelings and opinions. Please tell me what alternate universe you live in where opinion and feelings are the basis for any rational decision when they conflict with statistics and facts.
Nemo me impune lacessit
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Thought I'd add this. It's an article on offense vs defense with statistica analysis. I can copy the text in if needed, but there are some graphs involved and wasn't sure they'd copy.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/01/does-defense-win-championships.html 
Nemo me impune lacessit
beast
15 years ago

Beast, plain and simple my argument is based on fact and statistics, yours is based on feelings and opinions. Please tell me what alternate universe you live in where opinion and feelings are the basis for any rational decision when they conflict with statistics and facts.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Statistics yes... facts no...

You don't know what your talking about so I don't really care.

Why do players watch the film during the week? Because the film tells the truth and not the stats.

Sorry if you can't handle the true but I'm not going to stop telling it.

Sorry if you live in the fantasy football world but the real players and coaches do it my way, of watching the film.

If stats tell you everything why do they play the game? Because stats don't tell everything, and because it could be different.

The pros do it my way of watching the film and having opinion on it.

Why do the coaches, players, GM, Scouts, and everyone else watch film if it's all stats?

BECAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S ABOUT BEING ABLE TO READ FILM AND HAVING AN OPINION ON WHAT YOUR READING
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
Today's GB game is a prime example of how defense can make a huge difference for its offense.

Stats:
GB---Indy
24-21 1st downs
302-302 total yards
116-73 rushing
186-229 passing
9/70-12/110 penaties
33:46-26:14 time of possession

SCORE 34-14
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

"beast" wrote:

Why do players watch the film during the week? Because the film tells the truth and not the stats.

Sorry if you live in the fantasy football world but the real players and coaches do it my way, of watching the film.

If stats tell you everything why do they play the game? Because stats don't tell everything, and because it could be different.

Why do the coaches, players, GM, Scouts, and everyone else watch film if it's all stats?

BECAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S ABOUT BEING ABLE TO READ FILM AND HAVING AN OPINION ON WHAT YOUR READING

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

Take it a step further Beast. Look at the draft. There are guys who have all the tangibles (stats) and they are a bust. You don't draft a guy in the 1st round if he doesn't have the tangibles. How many have been huge failures?
On the other hand there are guys who are shorter or slower or not as big (weight) that have real heart and they are real big time players without all the tangibles- stats.
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

"beast" wrote:

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you. You don't think coaches, GMs, scouts and everyone else look at stats? You do realize a player's height, weight, and speed are all stats, right? You do realize looking at things like yard per carry, how many sacks are being allowed, turnover margin, etc, that coaches mention in press conferences weekly are all statistics? You're an idiot, and I'm done trying to talk sense to a jackass.
Nemo me impune lacessit
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

Take it a step further Beast. Look at the draft. There are guys who have all the tangibles (stats) and they are a bust. You don't draft a guy in the 1st round if he doesn't have the tangibles. How many have been huge failures?
On the other hand there are guys who are shorter or slower or not as big (weight) that have real heart and they are real big time players without all the tangibles- stats.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

That's interesting considering they run the combine every year to get numbers on a guy's height, weight, vertical, 40 time, etc. You do realize those are all statistics, right? You do reaize your previous post cited nothing BUT statistics to try to make your point. So by Beast's reasoning, your entire previous post was pointless, and you should have said your opinion was right purely because you watched the game.
Nemo me impune lacessit
beast
15 years ago

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you. You don't think coaches, GMs, scouts and everyone else look at stats? You do realize a player's height, weight, and speed are all stats, right? You do realize looking at things like yard per carry, how many sacks are being allowed, turnover margin, etc, that coaches mention in press conferences weekly are all statistics? You're an idiot, and I'm done trying to talk sense to a jackass.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

I'm sorry if I can't comprehend things that aren't right.

everyone uses stats it doesn't mean it helps.

You don't seem to understand it's a team game.

Stats can and do lie. Like yards per carry... Is the number high or low because of the RB or the OL?

You can use stats. But you can't smartly use only stats. I don't like being call me that. I'm kind of hoping your banned.

You can't use solely on stats, no one other than maybe Millen and Al Davis do that, you have to watch the film, be able to read it and know what your talking about, which you clearly don't.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

That's interesting considering they run the combine every year to get numbers on a guy's height, weight, vertical, 40 time, etc. You do realize those are all statistics, right? You do reaize your previous post cited nothing BUT statistics to try to make your point. So by Beast's reasoning, your entire previous post was pointless, and you should have said your opinion was right purely because you watched the game.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

I do understand their stats but you do know their not even a tenth as good as how they play of the field right? Or do you not understand the game is played on the field?

You can't look solely on at stats... you have ot watch film if you don't understand this, I'm not sure if you understand how football works.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
For every Joe Gibbs' Redskins, Bill Walsh 49ers, and John Elway Broncos there is the Ravens, Bears or the Buccaneers.

Once again, like I stated, I personally and I don't think anyone would actually think a good offense doesn't help a defense, but you have to wonder who helps who more. The argument is they keep them off the field, but if you have a bad defense then those John Riggins' runs are going to have to be throws sooner or later and you'll still fine yourself in a shootout.

The biggest thing I saw in this thread is that the last two years were an exception to the defensive rule. Only nobody is willing to acknowledge that the Giants defense stopped the Patriots offense in the Super Bowl last year. We want to talk about stats so there is one. The best offense in the history of the NFL didn't win the Super Bowl. It got there, but lost to a good defense.

Offenses wins games like New England's won 16 and Minnesota's won 15, but defenses win championships.

The year before the Colts offense was rock solid yes, but the defense is responsible for two wins in the post season. Kansas City and Baltimore's defenses shut down Peyton Manning. Indy's defense carried them to victory in those games. They gave the Colts' offense a chance to do their thing against New England and Chicago.

Then we have the stats argument. Stats are stats. They can be used, but you can't tell me that stats are the only thing that backs up arguments. Even this one has stats that go both ways. Stats tend to do that. In fact stats are often proven wrong especially in comparisons like these. Example is Brett Favre's QB rating for his career is below a 90. Kurt Warner's is higher than a 90. Who is better?

You can argue the Eagles defenses of the late 80's early 90's never won a Super Bowl. I'll come back with the 98 Vikings.

Well the 99 Rams did. So did the 00 Ravens.

So while states are there and they can be used for everything, stats don't always dictate how a player plays or how the game is played.