Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
11 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 2:13:11 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

The rumblings are out there that Murphy wants to extend TT. Do you want to see this happen?

There are various ways to go with this one and hopefully we can get into all of the offshoots of what deciding to or not means for this organization.

My initial reaction is NO. I don't want to see him extended. He seems tired and past his expiration date. The NFL is a horrible grind even for the single.

I would be invigorated by a new direction. Ted Thompson is so robotic that he's a hard guy to warm up to as one of the faces of our franchise. It'd be nice to see our franchise go for it a little bit more. I'm not talking becoming the Redskins or Raiders, just a little more urgency to win it every year instead of trying to keep the team above .500 for the long haul. A down year, or two, is worth winning one every once in awhile.

No more, TT. Thank you for your years of service and making the one pick that defined your tenure...Aaron Rodgers. Enjoy retirement, or maybe we could retain you in some kind of scouting consultant role.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline Yerko  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 2:18:20 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 263

I am a huge believer in what Ted Thompson does and what he has done for this organization. He's a straight-shooter and sticks to his beliefs on what makes a successful football team.
He just did an interview recently asking about how long he wants to do this (or something along those lines) and he said he was not done. No retirement needed.

Extend him.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 7/12/2014(UTC), StarrMax1 on 7/22/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 2:44:40 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Uffda really like to stir the pot, gotta love it. Uncle Ted stays for as long as we have Rodgers, then after that we can have our huge shake-up.

BUT, for being a former NFL linebacker, he sure is having a hard time finding quality linebackers to play a 3-4 defence. Epic fail in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 3:12:28 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Uffda really like to stir the pot, gotta love it. Uncle Ted stays for as long as we have Rodgers, then after that we can have our huge shake-up.

BUT, for being a former NFL linebacker, he sure is having a hard time finding quality linebackers to play a 3-4 defence. Epic fail in my opinion.


Elliot Wolf isn't ready yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 3:47:00 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
The rumblings are out there that Murphy wants to extend TT. Do you want to see this happen?

There are various ways to go with this one and hopefully we can get into all of the offshoots of what deciding to or not means for this organization.

My initial reaction is NO. I don't want to see him extended. He seems tired and past his expiration date. The NFL is a horrible grind even for the single.

I would be invigorated by a new direction. Ted Thompson is so robotic that he's a hard guy to warm up to as one of the faces of our franchise. It'd be nice to see our franchise go for it a little bit more. I'm not talking becoming the Redskins or Raiders, just a little more urgency to win it every year instead of trying to keep the team above .500 for the long haul. A down year, or two, is worth winning one every once in awhile.

No more, TT. Thank you for your years of service and making the one pick that defined your tenure...Aaron Rodgers. Enjoy retirement, or maybe we could retain you in some kind of scouting consultant role.



Unless he trades for Jimmy Graham right?Big Grin

I don't care if our GM is a guy you can warm up to. I don't need to warm up to him, he is not my friend. All I ask of him is to build a competitve team year in and year out and for the most part he has done that. Do I like everything he has done? Of course not but there are few teams that have had what the Packers have had inthe time that Ted has been our GM and I feel he has done a superior job.

As fans we tend to see things a little more strongly one way or the other. We love him and he can do no wrong or we hate him and he screws everything up. That is why listening to fans is probably not the best way to get an accurate assesment. if you ask those people who have no vested interest in the Packers but still know a lot about football (yeah, I mean the experts) they will probably put Thompson in the top 5 of GMs and I agree

To piggyback on your question though if I may. If Thompson is extended chances are almost certain that McCarthy will be as well. If you don't like McCarthy perhaps you would be willing to sacrifice Thompson to get rid of him.

I guess the question is do you want to go with the devil you know or the devil you don't know. There is no guarantee that whoever replaces him will be as effective (even his last name is Wolf) and IMO odds are he won't be as successfull so I say keep him around.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Dexter_Sinister on 7/11/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 4:08:45 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Unless he trades for Jimmy Graham right?Big Grin

I don't care if our GM is a guy you can warm up to. I don't need to warm up to him, he is not my friend. All I ask of him is to build a competitve team year in and year out and for the most part he has done that. Do I like everything he has done? Of course not but there are few teams that have had what the Packers have had inthe time that Ted has been our GM and I feel he has done a superior job.

As fans we tend to see things a little more strongly one way or the other. We love him and he can do no wrong or we hate him and he screws everything up. That is why listening to fans is probably not the best way to get an accurate assesment. if you ask those people who have no vested interest in the Packers but still know a lot about football (yeah, I mean the experts) they will probably put Thompson in the top 5 of GMs and I agree

To piggyback on your question though if I may. If Thompson is extended chances are almost certain that McCarthy will be as well. If you don't like McCarthy perhaps you would be willing to sacrifice Thompson to get rid of him.

I guess the question is do you want to go with the devil you know or the devil you don't know. There is no guarantee that whoever replaces him will be as effective (even his last name is Wolf) and IMO odds are he won't be as successfull so I say keep him around.


Oh, how the drafting of Aaron Rodgers has covered a multitude of sins. The mileage Ted Thompson has gotten out of one draft pick has masked multiple failings of his. We all saw last year what our franchise is minus a superstar QB and it isn't pretty at all. The unprecedented run of QB brilliance is nearing it's end. I'm sure Ted Thompson is well aware of that. If he agrees to an extension I'm sure it will align with the end of Aaron Rodgers time here.

The Packers cupboard is a lot more bare than anyone here would ever want to let on. Last year was a real wake up call as an in season return to what life before Brett and Aaron was on full display.

I'm not a big Mike McCarthy fan although he's grown on me a little. I find him to possess a false toughness trying hard to exude the Pittsburgh vibe we were promised when we "stole" him as O. Coord of the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL.

Oh, yes, the TT/MM pairing has been successful in gigantic part to Aaron Rodgers. My 2nd favorite Ted Thompson move since coming aboard was his slamming the door on our egomaniacal former QB. He made a very tough PR move for the good of this franchise. I applaud and will always admire that.

The big mistake this franchise made was the exit plan after Holmgren's exodus. If I get my wish and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy go I hope we bring in a big time coach and GM. Another Mike Sherman type hire and I will go insane. You could point to Sherman years as successful going by overall record, but, again, like TT/MM Sherman was propped up by Brett Favre. No doubt Wolf and Holmgren were by Brett as well, but Wolf added key pieces via FA that brought us to back to back SB's which is a very difficult feat especially in this cap era.

I'd love to see a tough fiery HC like a Jim Harbaugh and a passionate personality plus type for GM ala Ron Wolf that likes to go for it when he smells blood. The combo now thinks good enough is good enough. I want the type that realizes good enough is not good enough unless we win it all and everything revolves around that not just trying to be "competitive" year after year. I believe it was Ted Thompson who said years ago he was trying to provide a winning foundation year after year and if they could get one every once in awhile that would be great. The goal was to be consistently competitive not to win it all. Our Packer tradition once was and should be all about: Winning isn't everything it's the only thing. That sadly seems to apply to the regular season only in Green Bay. Just be above .500 and take your chances with your star QB in the playoffs. Not good enough for me.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 7:59:53 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Ted Thompson deserves an extension if he wants one.

His record speaks for itself.

I'm gonna need someone to post a 9 year study by a reputables source, along with 7 - 10 articles spelling out how Ted Thompson has left the cupboard bare, and at least 5 quotes from the "Talking head " so -called experts that Ted should not be extended.

Until I see these things, since nobody but huffy duffy's opinion matters anymore, I am going to stay with my already stated opinion that Yes Ted Thompson deserves to be extended.

Can't wait to see how many pages it takes for me too change my opinion, but one thing I am sure of, it will happen!!!!!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 8:38:19 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

If you don't feel wrong, already, I have failed. :(

What is interesting to me is Mike Sherman had a better winning percentage as GM vs. TT. The real differentiator between the two is Sherman never drafted a star like Rodgers and Ted Thompson did.
I don't think Ted Thompson would be in Green Bay, today, minus that Rodgers selection, but the fact is he made the pick and is entitled to all the credit.

I think the winning % speaks to the idea that both Sherman and Ted Thompson were benefactors of having star QB's. The Packers are a well below .500 team minus Aaron Rodgers. 2-5-1 without him...but I realize other key guys were hurt, too. Point is we could put Mike Sherman back as GM and get the same results we're getting with TT. I want a GM and a HC who can make our Aaron Rodgers led team great a juggernaut, not just competitive. To have Rodgers and Favre all these years and to have only been competitive and have 2 rings is not enough for having two guys like that for those years.





UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 9:19:51 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
If you don't feel wrong, already, I have failed. :(

What is interesting to me is Mike Sherman had a better winning percentage as GM vs. TT. The real differentiator between the two is Sherman never drafted a star like Rodgers and Ted Thompson did.
I don't think Ted Thompson would be in Green Bay, today, minus that Rodgers selection, but the fact is he made the pick and is entitled to all the credit.

I think the winning % speaks to the idea that both Sherman and Ted Thompson were benefactors of having star QB's. The Packers are a well below .500 team minus Aaron Rodgers. 2-5-1 without him...but I realize other key guys were hurt, too. Point is we could put Mike Sherman back as GM and get the same results we're getting with TT. I want a GM and a HC who can make our Aaron Rodgers led team great a juggernaut, not just competitive. To have Rodgers and Favre all these years and to have only been competitive and have 2 rings is not enough for having two guys like that for those years.







OMFG STFU, now! At the end of Sherman's reign of terror we had cap hell with major contracts due to our LT, LG, and RG and had absolutely no depth anywhere on the roster. And do we need to be reminded of the Joe Johnson/Cletidus Hunt/Mike McKenzie horror stories?

I appreciate you trying to interject some life into this forum but the difference between Uncle Ted and Mike Sherman is obvious and this is going to hit you right between eyes: was Mike Sherman ever offered another GM job or even a major coaching job in the NFL again? Uncle Ted would write his own ticket if we were stupid enough to get rid of him.

Message modified by user Friday, July 11, 2014 9:44:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/11/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 7/11/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 7/12/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 7/12/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 9:37:58 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

I'm dissapointed, I thought by now, there would at least be 1 or 2 "Expert quotes" posted.

Guess I'll check back tomorrow.

See what kind of minutia has been written on the subject.

Ted Thompson has succeeded wherever he has been, would be a really dumb idea to not extend him.

He may have a change of heart and decide to move on, but from his comments from a couple of weeks ago, don't think that's going to happen.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 10:14:51 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 485

So, we get rid of Thompson and replace him with whom exactly?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 11:24:10 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
OMFG STFU, now! At the end of Sherman's reign of terror we had cap hell with major contracts due to our LT, LG, and RG and had absolutely no depth anywhere on the roster. And do we need to be reminded of the Joe Johnson/Cletidus Hunt/Mike McKenzie horror stories?

I appreciate you trying to interject some life into this forum but the difference between Uncle Ted and Mike Sherman is obvious and this is going to hit you right between eyes: was Mike Sherman ever offered another GM job or even a major coaching job in the NFL again? Uncle Ted would write his own ticket if we were stupid enough to get rid of him.


The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline StarrMax1  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 11:46:35 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Still patiently waiting for any verification that Ted Thompson has left the cupboard bare, and that he doesn't deserve to have his contract extended.

I'm ready to change my opinion, just need one article from "an NFL expert" talking head.

1 story that there have been "grumblings" from The Organization.

1 mention from from ESPN, CBS, FOX, NBC, that The Packers are in real trouble because of the way Ted Thompson has put together the team.

1 Tweet? There has to be one out there somewhere.

How about a FB post?

This is really frustrating, I can't be right that Ted Thompson deserves an extension if he wants one.

Somebody please send out a negative tweet about Ted Thompson, I will be able to rest better after I read it.


Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Offline warhawk  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:22:28 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...


What a joke. Sherman? Give me a break man. You know better, too. Mike Sherman took over a team Wolfe had loaded up. Those teams, without question, should have won more than 1 SB, but the personnel side of that had nothing to do with Sherman. He rode Wolfe's roster until they were all old and done and brought in virtually nothing. You want to talk depleted player quality. After a few short years under Sherman the team went from loaded to crap. Sherman's draft record, ability to find undrafted players, however you want to judge, stunk. Half the players on his last team didn't even belong in the NFL (a comment Wolfe made by the way) and that proved true because after Thompson purged the roster most never started a game for anybody.
Sherman's last years team had 0 chance of winning a division, making the playoffs, or, getting a whiff of a shot at a SB.
All things today within reach.

I guess you could always argue the point about all the teams lined up to grab Sherman after GB canned his ass. Oh, that's right there weren't any. EVER. It has probably never dawned on you that the only reason Sherman has a better winning percentage is because they got rid of his ass when they did? If they had kept him around another couple of years the team would have been a total disaster and thank God Murphy pulled the plug when he did. It was a mercy killing for Sherman. The evil side of me says they should have kept him and let the world see how pathetic he was.

Mike Sherman. Jesus. Like comparing Heidi Klum to freaking Rosie O'Donnell.

I will finish with a comment about your Javon Walker statement. WHAT? He essentially played 6 seasons ( a 7th lost to injury) had 4000 yards receiving and 31 TDs. In six seasons Jordy Nelson has had 4600 yards receiving and 36 TD's. Jennings had 6500 yards and 53 TD's over 7 years. But somehow here, you have it figured, Walker is better than any receiver Thompson has brought in. I mean the guy had ONE good year for the Packers. C'mon man. You can do better than that, or then again, maybe not. Sherman's list of quality players is pretty damn thin.


"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
AbbaGav on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:27:20 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

Mike Sherman only has a better regular season record in Green Bay if you lay no blame on him for 2005, a year in which he was still the head coach and most of the team was still pieces built by either him or a few layaways from Wolfe.
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:53:31 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

These are the good years guys. Savor these moments. And yes I want him to be extended with no hesitation.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/12/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:46:17 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

The... F.A.C.T FACT remains that Mike Sherman has a better record than Ted Thompson. You can say anything else you wish but it will not change this FACT.

BTW, Ted Thompson was the GM the year we went 4-12, not Mike Sherman. Anyone who is honest with themselves knows Ted Thompson set it up for the Packers to suck so he could justify blowing out Sherman and that's exactly what he did right after the season.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the charge of waiting for evidence Ted Thompson has left the cupboad bare. Ummmm...did you not watch last season when Aaron went down? 2-5-1 ringing any bells for you? A competitive team who with Aaron Rodgers always has a chance, didn't have much of a chance without him. Packers became Jacksonville north minus Aaron. Spin it all you like. 2-5-1 minus Rodgers. Who exactly is responsible for providing a backup QB? Oh, you mean the guy who carried Graham freaking Harrell for a couple of years and then added BJ Coleman and then went to the Seneca are you really freaking kidding me Wallace well. Oh, Scott Tolzien...at least he throws a nice deep ball. That QB cupboard was about as bare as the TE cupboard is right now. MD Jennings started for this team not by chance but by choice after knowing how weak we were back there. S a continual issue. Marshall Newhouse responsible for protecting the franchise? Darryn Colledge? Don Barclay? Jeff I was done years ago Saturday as the C of our line...and then a JAG like EDS looks like an upgrade only because Saturday is so terrible. Some of the things we've witnessed from Ted Thompson with how barren this roster has been in key spots is horribly confusing. Oh, but we won a SB so Ted Thompson is deified. Aaron Rodgers, again, his saving grace. Our running game was terrible for YEARS under TT. OL weak...DL weak...LB's overall weak...S...weak. Backup QB terrible for years...TE's now barren.

What I know is I saw the same kind of records from a Mike Sherman GM'ed team as I did from a Ted Thompson GM team in overall record and that's what matters, right? It isn't championships...it's that warm and fuzzy that we consistently are just good but not quite good enough. As long as Packer fan can brag we're the best in the division he has bragging rights over his NFCN buddies that is all Packer fan needs. Don't you dare take that away from Packer fan for the right to actually go balls out for a championship. Packer fan would rather go 10-6 for 10 years and lose out in Round 1 each of those years than to suffer 3-4 sub .500 years and win two championships. Don't you dare take away 3-4 years of bragging rights over Bears and Vikings fans to get SB's for only 2 of 10 years.

Seattle and SF are sold out for championships. Green Bay is trying to ride Aaron Rodgers to another. Let's see how that plays out in terms of who has more championships before Aaron is done. I will bet you we get ZERO more under Ted Thompson while SF and SEA get their fair share. It will all be good, though, you will entertained with your divisional championship gear from the Packer Pro Shop and recall 2010 as if it was yesterday for the next 10 years.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline steveishere  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:47:14 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

If we can sign some hypothetical GM that's going to win us 2 or 3 more superbowls in the next few years then yeah lets get that guy, otherwise I say extend the guy that's got us in the playoffs with a chance to win the dang thing every season.
Offline uffda udfa  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:53:14 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
If we can sign some hypothetical GM that's going to win us 2 or 3 more superbowls in the next few years then yeah lets get that guy, otherwise I say extend the guy that's got us in the playoffs with a chance to win the dang thing every season.


You want Mike Sherman back? He got us to the playoffs quite a bit, too. Getting to the playoffs is not the goal..your own post seems resigned to the idea that getting to the playoffs is good enough. It ain't. If that's all our current guy can do blow him out on the chance we can get one who can. Regular season wins aren't the goal. Making the playoffs isn't the goal. Winning 14 is, well should be, but isn't, the goal. Fat dumb and happy since 2010 and this org knows our fans are dumb enough to continue to support this franchise like crazies if all they do is go 1 and done forever. Packer fan will never revolt... just keep those Bear and Viking fan bragging rights in tact. As long as we look better in comparison to our rivals that's a win for Packer fan.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline steveishere  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:17:37 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
You want Mike Sherman back? He got us to the playoffs quite a bit, too. Getting to the playoffs is not the goal..your own post seems resigned to the idea that getting to the playoffs is good enough. It ain't. If that's all our current guy can do blow him out on the chance we can get one who can. Regular season wins aren't the goal. Making the playoffs isn't the goal. Winning 14 is, well should be, but isn't, the goal. Fat dumb and happy since 2010 and this org knows our fans are dumb enough to continue to support this franchise like crazies if all they do is go 1 and done forever. Packer fan will never revolt... just keep those Bear and Viking fan bragging rights in tact. As long as we look better in comparison to our rivals that's a win for Packer fan.


no
Online nerdmann  
#21 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:37:14 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
The fact remains, Mike Sherman the GM, left Green Bay with a better winning % than Ted Thompson currently has. Joe Johnson got injured. Is that his fault? Were you upset that Sherman dealt a 2nd for Al Harris? Javon Walker was as talented, if not more talented than any WR Ted Thompson drafted. When you come to grips as to why Sherman has a better winning % than Ted Thompson you'll be on the right path as to why Ted Thompson needs to go. It's the QB, man. The quarterback. Sherman wasn't all that outstanding but he rode Brett's coattails. The exact same way Ted Thompson is riding Aaron's. Aaron goes down, and we went right back the quarter century of garbage football we had to endure before Brett and Aaron.

Who would replace him? A man who is obsessed with winning WORLD championships, not divisional titles. There are few things I find funnier than when I see a shirt, hat, etc. proclaiming "X" NFL team won a divisional championship. Are you kidding me? That is for people who relish small goals while neglecting the bigger ones.

Do you guys really enjoy watching one and dones at the expense of a real shot at a championship run? OR...have you bought the myth the org wants you to that says... If we have Aaron Rodgers we always have a chance just like it was...if you have Brett Favre you always have a chance. As a fan, I want to see the ultimate goal. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is no better than going 4-12. I'd rather go 4-12 to get higher picks in each round of the draft than to continue exiting in Round 1. How many years would you like to be the Niners beyotch? Had enough yet? The D has been a huge problem... let's just keep Dom. Status quo...winning the division and losing in round 1 is fine because the typical Packer fan is happy he can brag to his Bear and Viking fan buddies that his team won the division. Pathetic.

Take me back to what happened the year before we won the SB. We went through major changes because not winning it all wasn't good enough. Enter many new coaching faces pumping new fire and direction into this organization. We rode it to a SB Championship. This team was fat dumb and happy after that. If ever there was an offseason for a major shake up it was after Kaepernick ran wild on us ending our season in embarrassing fashion. We comeback the next year and lose the opener to them..again...and they end our season...again. What huge changes are made on the coaching staff... a couple of guys claim they want to spend more time with their families and Mike McCarthy says he's going to be more involved with the D? Scheme is going to be fitted better? Huh? You had to lose year after year after year due to your defense and you're going to adjust things? That is the solution? Definition of insanity almost... just that we're doing these minor tweaks thinking they'll bring major changes. Ted Thompson is the head of this org and he just watches this go on? His solution to things is to leave things the same and add a 34 year old DE and position switch him in the twilight of his career? That is our solution?

Tick, tick, tick another year off Aaron Rodgers career not sold out to win another championship but Packer fans are still content. They can talk about the one from 2010 as if it was yesterday. They'll also be content when Aaron is finished to look back on almost 30 years of HOF QB play and say, well, at least we made it to 3 SB's...that's one per each decade.

Meanwhile, in Seattle...


When this team has a losing record, it's due to injuries. Not that they shouldn't be doing something about it, but that's how it is.

And another thing, Ted hired Mike, without whom Aaron would never have developed.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline uffda udfa  
#22 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:40:24 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
no


Then why in the world do you want TT's plodding approach to stick around when we have franchises like SF and SEA in front of us who are continuing to go for it? You think Aaron is going be Aaron by the time their runs are over?
Ted Thompson is not the kind of GM who is going to move us past SEA and SF anytime soon...that is the concern to me. He is a slow plodding let's see things develop over the years kind of a GM. That's great as long as there aren't teams you need to beat that are already ahead of you and pushing the pedal to the metal while you're in the right line with cruise control set at 55.

We've also benefitted from Minnesota having a carousel of clown coaches and QB's and Detroit being tied down with Schwartz. 2 of 3 teams in the divsion seem to have righted their ships in Chicago and Minnesota...not sure what to make of Detroit. Schwartz was so terrible that as bad as I think Caldwell is he might make them better by default. Our stranglehold on the division is going to be challenged more this year than in recent ones.

How many rings do you expect the Ted Thompson regime to end with? I expect it to be the one we have and that's all. Any competitor sees what goes on in Seattle and SF and wishes his team would go for it like they do. Too little too late I fear for TT. We can celebrate the years of being just good when he's done. I happen to believe Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen. The day we got him I was literally dancing. He was my all time favorite college QB. Never in a million years did I envision us ever getting a chance to get him. We got him. I used to tell my buddies he was going to be better than Favre...they laughed and pretty heartily. He is better than Brett. So much smarter. It sucks to believe like I do that a super special talent like Aaron Rodgers is going to never be given a true superstar to throw to. It upsets me Ted Thompson is so measured and deliberate for long term being good vs. wanting to win a SB. I'd rather swing hard and miss than to just stand at the plate taking pitches hoping for a walk. Ted Thompson is the guy at the plate who might swing when the ball is perfectly in his wheelhouse otherwise he's hoping the pitcher will miss 4 times and he can get on base. That is his approach to winning a championship. He ain't swinging the bat he will hope that the power hitter who comes up after him can hit enough homeruns to carry the day. Rodgers can't always hit it out of the park. He did in 2010 but to rely on that is beyond dumb.

Go for it Green Bay. Go for it. We are defined by our championships not our playoff appearances. We should NEVER be satisfied by winning the division and losing in the playoffs.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline uffda udfa  
#23 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:57:32 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
When this team has a losing record, it's due to injuries. Not that they shouldn't be doing something about it, but that's how it is.

And another thing, Ted hired Mike, without whom Aaron would never have developed.


What? Aaron would've never developed without MM? Just like Alex Smith developed and thrived under MM? Yes, it was one year but SF under MM's OC stewardship finished 32nd, DEAD LAST, with Mike McCarthy coordinating the O with his QB of choice, Alex Smith. Don't forget that Mike McCarthy wanted Alex Smith in SF not Aaron Rodgers. Now, you want to say Aaron's success is because of Mike? I couldn't disagree anymore strongly with that statement of opinion.

Should Dom Capers be back for another chance? No...he should've been tossed after Kapernick ran through us like a sandlot football game. He gets a whole offseason to prepare to stop the Niners and we give up 200+ to Anquan Boldin who the Ravens let go for a 6th rounder and over 30 points. Our O plays well enough that day to win but again...we can not stop the Niners. So, now he's back... AGAIN? Are you freaking kidding me? Do you want to lose? I'm sure we'll get it cleaned right up and adjust the pad level and be much better this season. Maybe, this time, we'll lose by only 1 or in OT.

There is never a sense of urgency with TT...it's always laissez faire...let's just see what happens, I like the guys I've got. Meanwhile, Seattle don't like the guys the've got and are constantly trying to one up each other vs. SF. There is a passion between the Niners and Seahawks that is driving each to be better. What is driving us? Can you even put your finger on it? I don't see it or feel it at all. Just let's hope the guys we've got develop like every other franchise in the NFL does and then add a 34 year old and position switch him to solve things. Lose Finley, lose Jones, lose Jennings, and Driver the years before. We'll add Boykin, Richard Rodgers, Davante Adams, Abby and Janis to replace them. Oh, we might lose Randall or Jordy so let's just draft a bunch of guys and hope one of them can be as good as one of them if they go. Seattle would say... F that approach...let's get a guy who changes games. Give us Percy because drafting later in Round 1 the odds we hit on a guy as good as Percy is near zero. Easy decision. No reason to be in love with a draft pick when you can get a guy who is proven. Oh, but not in Green Bay. Let's hold our first so we can get a Justin Harrell ... we have a 10% chance of getitng a star. I just love those odds. We don't want the profits down any more than they already are...we can fill the stadium by being good. Life is good just being good. Man... it sucks for those of us that hate losing as much as we like winning. Good sucks. GREAT isn't even the goal but most of you have bought it at GOOD. THE BEST is the goal. Oh, but not everyone can be the best it's so hard. Right. It is but that is what I wish for myself and for this franchise.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#24 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:18:35 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Aaaaah too many words! Love the passion, but gee whiz. :-p
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/12/2014(UTC)
Offline StarrMax1  
#25 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:18:48 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/9/2014(UTC)
Location: Toledo

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Damn am i really dissapointed, come back here expect SOLID EVIDENCE that Ted Thompson dcesn't deserve an extension, and all I see the the same old ramblings.

I guess comparing Ted Thompson to Mike Sherman is all you have?

Another major fail on your part uddfa when it comes to trying to prove to everyone here that your opinion is the only one that's right.

Not that it has anything to do with the subject, but I thought Mike Sherman was a very good HC, he got the raw deal of The Packers upper Management not being prepared for Wolf deciding to retire.

No 1 man can be GM/HC in the post Free Agency era of The NFL.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself, you have made NO solid argument and are actually absloutley wrong about The Packers needing Jimmy Graham for 2 1st round picks.

Also you are completely wrong about Ted Thompson not deserving an extension.

You have offered no viable evidence in either case.

Still it would be nice to read that 9 year study of Ted Thompson I asked you for, and the quotes from the "talking head experts".

Still waiting on them.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 7/12/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
11 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / polargrizz

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rios39

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra