wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

So, that is what you're saying is sabotage? How's that different from a team picking up a player and getting tips from them? The NFL is full of saboteurs under that pretense.

If he went out of his way to make the contact to try and give other teams pointers on the Packers, sure that's a dick move, but not sabotage. Teams acquire players all the time for the purpose of acquiring intel on their previous team. If you're not smart enough to tweak things, then that's on you.

Kind of switching directions here, I wonder how Reggie White plays into this. I believe the Packers regretted not retiring his number earlier than they did.

I would rather numbers be taken out of circulation for X amount of years than them being disallowed forever. I grew up being a big Dale Earnhardt fan and when they announce his number would be used again, a big part of me was glad. It sparked a lot of memories and what not about Dale. Otherwise if the number had been abolished, then it's going to go into the abyss of out of sight, out of mind.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

How many of these "other players" that you are referring to are going to have their number retired by the Packers? Zero.
How many of these other players are going to have their number retired by some other NFL franchise? Zero no doubt.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

How many of these "other players" that you are referring to are going to have their number retired by the Packers? Zero.
How many of these other players are going to have their number retired by some other NFL franchise? Zero no doubt.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Jerry Rice.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Jerry Rice.

Well he is a bum of course.
You know for a fact that he ratted out his former team? You have documentation?
UserPostedImage
porky88
9 years ago
Over the last year, I’ve re-watched 40 or so games (probably more) from 92-96. I’m actually currently in 1997. Simply put, people don't appreciate just how special of a quarterback Brett Favre was. Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman were bums without him. Sterling Sharpe had the best years of his career with Favre, who was incredibly raw at the time. Keith Jackson caught a career-high 10 touchdowns in '96, and he played with Dan Marino. No other Packer should wear the number four again. Period.

I think the vast majority of people have moved on, but like the people that booed Aaron Rodgers during the '08 training camp, the loud minority tends to receive a majority of attention. I think that's what is concerning the Packers. I don't blame them or Favre for waiting. Reggie White retired after 2000 and they retired his number in ‘05. That’s five years. Favre’s going into year three of retirement. There is plenty of time.

I’ll echo what WPR mentioned. He should return a few times before getting his number retired. Alumni Weekend might be a good option.

Another thing to consider is that 2016 marks the 20-year anniversary of the 1996 Green Bay Packers. I wonder if that's not an appropriate time to hold such a ceremony, though I suppose you don’t want to takeaway from the other returning players. You know they’ll do something special to honor that team. Favre should be apart of it.
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

So, that is what you're saying is sabotage? How's that different from a team picking up a player and getting tips from them? The NFL is full of saboteurs under that pretense.

If he went out of his way to make the contact to try and give other teams pointers on the Packers, sure that's a dick move, but not sabotage. Teams acquire players all the time for the purpose of acquiring intel on their previous team. If you're not smart enough to tweak things, then that's on you.

Kind of switching directions here, I wonder how Reggie White plays into this. I believe the Packers regretted not retiring his number earlier than they did.

I would rather numbers be taken out of circulation for X amount of years than them being disallowed forever. I grew up being a big Dale Earnhardt fan and when they announce his number would be used again, a big part of me was glad. It sparked a lot of memories and what not about Dale. Otherwise if the number had been abolished, then it's going to go into the abyss of out of sight, out of mind.

People expect you to tell your new team about the team you used to be on. But going to the opponents of your old team and helping them out of spite, just to hurt their chances to win, is just plain dirty.

Favre wasn't even in the same conference. The only reason he had to help the Lions, Vikings and Bears beat the Packers is to hurt the Packers.

#4 can join #5 on the numbers no longer available for use list.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DoddPower
9 years ago

People expect you to tell your new team about the team you used to be on. But going to the opponents of your old team and helping them out of spite, just to hurt their chances to win, is just plain dirty.

Favre wasn't even in the same conference. The only reason he had to help the Lions, Vikings and Bears beat the Packers is to hurt the Packers.

#4 can join #5 on the numbers no longer available for use list.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I don't even care about the sharing of the playbook, if that indeed occurred. I view that just the same as doing some shitty things while being all butt-hurt after a bad breakup. Things get said, things happen, and regrets linger. It doesn't mean anything more than being pissed off and caught up in the moment. People move forward, and they (should) forgive, as long as the feeling is mutual on both sides.

It's old boring history to me now. I'd rather focus on his career as a very good Green Bay Packers quarterback. But I simply can't put the energy into holding grudges, especially for anything that occurred during this situation. It wasn't like anything TRULY bad happened, imo. It was just all stupid crap.
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I don't even care about the sharing of the playbook, if that indeed occurred. I view that just the same as doing some shitty things while being all butt-hurt after a bad breakup. Things get said, things happen, and regrets linger. It doesn't mean anything more than being pissed off and caught up in the moment. People move forward, and they (should) forgive, as long as the feeling is mutual on both sides.

It's old boring history to me now. I'd rather focus on his career as a very good Green Bay Packers quarterback. But I simply can't put the energy into holding grudges, especially for anything that occurred during this situation. It wasn't like anything TRULY bad happened, imo. It was just all stupid crap.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The thing is that people are talking about doing a great honor to Favre by retiring his number. An honor I think he doesn't deserve.

Mostly because I don't think he was good enough.

But someone who did something as dishonorable as trying to put his team over the salary cap and then sabotaging the team because he couldn't get his way, should also be accountable for his actions.

It isn't an issue to me if we are not talking about paying such an honor to him. Because he didn't earn it. There are better players and better men that are not included in that honor. It would show a great deal of disrespect to those players to heap this honor on Faver after what he did.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DoddPower
9 years ago

The thing is that people are talking about doing a great honor to Favre by retiring his number. An honor I think he doesn't deserve.

But someone who did something as dishonorable as trying to put his team over the salary cap and then sabotaging the team because he couldn't get his way, should also be accountable for his actions.

It isn't an issue to me if we are not talking about paying such an honor to him. Because he didn't earn it. There are better players and better men that are not included in that honor. It would show a great deal of disrespect to those players to heap this honor on Faver after what he did.

I mean, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Packers fans and those in the organization making decisions simply disagree with you, at least on the not being a good enough player thing. Ultimately, the NFL is entertainment, and Favre was as entertaining as anyone to play to the game. In that sense, he was at the top of his profession. A true entertainer. It's not all about statistics or positive achievements. It's the entire entertainment package, for better or for worse. We as fans may not like it, but it is the way it is and the way it is going to be. Certainly nothing wrong with debating the issue though. It's always going to be a somewhat divisive topic. That will never change, but I do think it will continue to fade as the years past, as it probably should.

I suppose I view any "honor" as recognizing his achievements as an entertainer first-and-foremost. He also happened to be a pretty good quarterback imo. One that many felt a connection to, for whatever reason. Made some incredible plays, and started a ton of games. Those things mean quite a bit.
packerfanoutwest
9 years ago

He needs to come back a few times before they retire the jersey. Otherwise he looks a little mercenary. Be a friend first before the marriage so to speak.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

He already was a friend to every Packer fan until he showed his true colors. I'm one of many that will boo him til the day I die. Frickin Diva!!
nerdmann
9 years ago

White trash people identify with Favre. He's their hero/ego ideal.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.