Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:16:50 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 128

Hyperlink and quote function not working for me...

"As a freshman I compared him to Gronkowski," said another AFC scout. "They played him at tight end, H-back, fullback. In high school he was one of the top rushers in the nation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/...better-than-gronk-graham

I was as excited about Colt's addition as I was any of the draft picks. This is the kind of guy we need at TE... a "monster, beast, monster". Tough as nails and fast at 4.61. Can run over people. He looked to struggle catching it in the combine video linked in that article.

Why he is considered such a long shot is beyond me. It is more than his off field stuff that people seem to discredit him for. Being out of football etc give some the idea he has little chance. If there was ever an NFL TE situation made for a darkhorse to emerge victorious it would be Green Bay's current situation.

I don't see how he doesn't make it if the org is comfortable with him off the field not to say that isn't a major reason not to hang onto him.

Pretty exciting to me that our most talented player could come from a tryout vs. our 1st rounder through 7th round picks. A little bit Shields like.

Go Colt!
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:56:47 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 633
Applause Received: 1,312

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post

Pretty exciting to me that our most talented player could come from a tryout vs. our 1st rounder through 7th round picks. A little bit Shields like.

Go Colt!

And which awesome GM plucked these exceptional athletes out of thin air, Uffda?
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 7/13/2014(UTC), Zero2Cool on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:01:35 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 856

He could but it's not likely, that would be nice though. It's not just his off the field stuff that kept him from being drafted. It was probably missing a year of football and the fact that he never really put together a good season in college like he was expected to do coming out of HS. The off the field stuff is certainly a big reason for that but it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't proven to be a dominant player on the field yet.

Hopefully he proves himself on the field for GB and helps us win some games.
Offline uffda udfa  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:03:26 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
And which awesome GM plucked these exceptional athletes out of thin air, Uffda?

Well, you could look at it that it's pretty sad your most physically gifted player arrived on a tryout not in the 1st round.

I think it also speaks to the fact we have such a dearth of talent at TE that we were the only team in the NFL desperate enough to touch him. I give Ted Thompson kudos for acknowledging how brutal our TE situation is and giving this guy a go.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:04:44 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 633
Applause Received: 1,312

I have a good feeling about the tight end position. By the end of the year we'll be saying Jermichael who?
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:07:15 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
He could but it's not likely, that would be nice though. It's not just his off the field stuff that kept him from being drafted. It was probably missing a year of football and the fact that he never really put together a good season in college like he was expected to do coming out of HS. The off the field stuff is certainly a big reason for that but it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't proven to be a dominant player on the field yet.

Hopefully he proves himself on the field for GB and helps us win some games.

Who does your description sound like? I would say it sounds very similar to Sam Shields. What did Sam do at THE U to be able to make this team? He was a converted WR and not a very good one.

If he can't make it in Green Bay he shouldn't be able to make it anywhere else.

Jolly was out of football for how long and came back and played very well for us. Talent is talent. You have it or you don't and he has it. I couldn't care less about time away not doing this or that. The question is does he have NFL ability and can he stay out of trouble. I'm hoping both are big YES'es.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:50:43 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 312

Scouts do a hell of a job. It is quite a lifestyle to commit to. Anywho, this Colt guy has all the physical tools to be great just like a lot of these guys do. The key is for him to be mentally committed to his role on the team, his teammates, and his coaches. All we hear is how much potential he has. These are the guys that become great stories if they pan out because he is definitely not the only player in the NFL that has made some questionable decisions in the past. Let's see what he's made out of. Can't wait.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:00:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,358
Applause Received: 598

It's a perfect situation for him, and for the team. Win-win situation.

This is where it really pays to have a GM with a reputation for finding undrafted players. Guys who weren't drafted, but for whatever reason still have skills KNOW they can come here and have a chance. This guy just happens to also fill a position of need.

Still, he's gotta earn it, and the fact that they called him out in the paper is an early red flag.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:11:07 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
Scouts do a hell of a job. It is quite a lifestyle to commit to. Anywho, this Colt guy has all the physical tools to be great just like a lot of these guys do. The key is for him to be mentally committed to his role on the team, his teammates, and his coaches. All we hear is how much potential he has. These are the guys that become great stories if they pan out because he is definitely not the only player in the NFL that has made some questionable decisions in the past. Let's see what he's made out of. Can't wait.

His numbers at the combine are actually close to Graham's.

Better vertical, better broad jump, close to the same 40, same 20 yard split and same reps on the bench.

Lyerla was also out of football most of the year before he participated.

His numbers were pretty much better than Gronk's except for bench.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DoddPower on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:31:08 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 2,032

Jimmy Graham
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 260 lbs
Arm: 35"
Hands: 10 5/8"
40: 4.56
Vert: 38.5"
Broad: 120"

Colt Lyerla
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 242 lbs
Arm: 32 3/4"
Hands: 10 1/4"
40: 4.61
Vert: 39"
Broad: 128"

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:23:20 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 170
Applause Received: 259

Well, you could look at it that it's pretty sad your most physically gifted player arrived on a tryout not in the 1st round.

I think I figured out why you dislike Thompson so much (or at least one of the reasons)... you want the best physically gifted guys... where as Thompson wants the best football players... of course I assume you're going to point out the best physically gifted guys should be the best football players, but I would point out a number of players have proven that idea wrong.

I still strongly remember after the 2007 draft, fans seemed to STRONGLY dislike that Thompson wasted a 3rd round draft pick on a WR that ran a 4.6 ... but were a bit alright with it because he drafted a speed demon WR that ran a sub 4.4 who would make up for him....

That wasted pick... was WR James Jones. The speed demon was David Clowney... just because they're more athletic doesn't mean they're the better football player. Though to be fair to Clowney, I think I heard he lead the NFL in receiver yards during the preseason 3 straight years with the Jets (kept giving the Jets fans hope...).

Why he is considered such a long shot is beyond me. It is more than his off field stuff that people seem to discredit him for. Being out of football etc give some the idea he has little chance.

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
It's not just his off the field stuff that kept him from being drafted. It was probably missing a year of football and the fact that he never really put together a good season in college like he was expected to do

That's a big part of it... a lot of the Lyerla hype is being he flashes a ton of potential... but he hasn't really taken that potential and turned it into a consistent dominant player, which clearly he has that potential to do but he hasn't really taken over a game.

Lyerla has the raw potential to be amazing, the reason I think people are doubting is because his lack of progress in developing that raw talent... of course if it was simply a mental thing and now he's got it together... he might be able to flip the switch right away... but I think most people are thinking it's going to take time.

Who does your description sound like? I would say it sounds very similar to Sam Shields. What did Sam do at THE U to be able to make this team? He was a converted WR and not a very good one.

Yeah I agree a bit... but there are some big differences between the two... Shields switch positions VERY VERY late in college and had one year under his belt... where Lyerla is playing the same position as he through out college. Also I think Lyerla has better coaching than Shields did... or at least I assume since his head coach became an NFL head coach, that they're good coaches, where I strongly questioned Shields coaches down in Miami... they had a lot of physical talented guys and almost none of them were developing much it seemed for a while down there.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 8:20:20 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 112
Applause Received: 408

I think it also speaks to the fact we have such a dearth of talent at TE that we were the only team in the NFL desperate enough to touch him. I give Ted Thompson kudos for acknowledging how brutal our TE situation is and giving this guy a go.

Yeah, I know I would be happier if we had taken him in the first round? Maybe it's a testament to Teds ability to know that no one else would touch him so why risk anything more than he absolutely had to.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:07:22 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 69
Applause Received: 105

Manziel may become a greater QB than either Manning.
Michael Sam may become a better DL than Howie Long.
Richard Sherman may change sides and become a better WR than Deion.
Green Bay Packers may change their name to the Eastern WI Drunken Palefaces.
Brett Favre may be hired as the 2015 Head Coach of the Packers.
There is no end in the things that might happen.

This Lyerla hysteria is annoying. 32 teams spent millions of dollars to scout players. Not a single team used one of the 256 draft picks to select him. Teams picked players with broken bones, rebuilt knees, and Marijuana issues. The Rams selected a player that they knew would bring a media circus to town. Yet not one team picked Lyerla. Is it because NFL teams don't want to win? Is it becuase all 32 teams accidentally left him off their draft board? Does this forum really believe that we are individually much smarter than all of the professional scouts and team management? HE HAS MAJOR ISSUES. We don't know how bad they are, but for 32 teams to pass, they are major. The odds for him to even make the roster are about 1:20. The odds for him to be a player of major impact about 1:300. But it can happen.
blank
beast on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 9:30:24 AM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Manziel may become a greater QB than either Manning.
Michael Sam may become a better DL than Howie Long.
Richard Sherman may change sides and become a better WR than Deion.
Green Bay Packers may change their name to the Eastern WI Drunken Palefaces.
Brett Favre may be hired as the 2015 Head Coach of the Packers.
There is no end in the things that might happen.

This Lyerla hysteria is annoying. 32 teams spent millions of dollars to scout players. Not a single team used one of the 256 draft picks to select him. Teams picked players with broken bones, rebuilt knees, and Marijuana issues. The Rams selected a player that they knew would bring a media circus to town. Yet not one team picked Lyerla. Is it because NFL teams don't want to win? Is it becuase all 32 teams accidentally left him off their draft board? Does this forum really believe that we are individually much smarter than all of the professional scouts and team management? HE HAS MAJOR ISSUES. We don't know how bad they are, but for 32 teams to pass, they are major. The odds for him to even make the roster are about 1:20. The odds for him to be a player of major impact about 1:300. But it can happen.

The odds can be better for a player with behavior issues. Teams may not want to risk the problems and pass on the talent.

So the odds may be more if he can stay out of trouble than if he can be as good of a player.

He may be a great player but not have a great career. If Gronk can't stay healthy, he may be in the same category, but for a different reason.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline StoicFire  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 12:44:27 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 54

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I know I would be happier if we had taken him in the first round? Maybe it's a testament to Teds ability to know that no one else would touch him so why risk anything more than he absolutely had to.

I don't understand why anyone would dislike the fact that our "most physically gifted player" was a tryout player instead of a top pick. I thought the point of the draft, undrafted free-agency, and the tryout process was to acquire as much talent as possible while spending as little as possible. If he pans out this would be a huge bargain, which last time I checked is nothing to be disappointed about.

"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Rss Feed