Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 5:16:08 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

The number of illegal contact penalties has been dropping from 72 in 2011 to 63 in 2012 to just 38 last season. Apparently the NFL thinks this is bad, therefore, when reading this snippet leaves one to assume the NFL isn't even worried about hiding its bias favoring offense.

"Word came out of the officials' camp in Dallas on Friday that the league is going to put an emphasis on calling more penalties in pass coverage. Former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira tweeted Friday that officials are being asked to call more interference, holding and illegal contact penalties."

How does this effect the Packers and their secondary? Help'em? Hurt'em?
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 6:26:52 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post
The number of illegal contact penalties has been dropping from 72 in 2011 to 63 in 2012 to just 38 last season. Apparently the NFL thinks this is bad, therefore, when reading this snippet leaves one to assume the NFL isn't even worried about hiding its bias favoring offense.

"Word came out of the officials' camp in Dallas on Friday that the league is going to put an emphasis on calling more penalties in pass coverage. Former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira tweeted Friday that officials are being asked to call more interference, holding and illegal contact penalties."

We've got good corners, or S's should be better.

Goodell's ruining the game. Just another way for officials to determine the outcome of games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 8:15:48 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

They call too many as it is.
Let them play!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:37:13 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 484

If they're intent on increasing the number of calls they need to reduce the amount the defense gets penalized for. Make illegal contact and holding 5 yard penalties with no automatic first down and reduce pass interference to 10 yards. As it stands, there's no reason not to just heave-ho the ball downfield in hopes of getting a penalty or a big reception.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/21/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/22/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:41:21 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
If they're intent on increasing the number of calls they need to reduce the amount the defense gets penalized for. Make illegal contact and holding 5 yard penalties with no automatic first down and reduce pass interference to 10 yards. As it stands, there's no reason not to just heave-ho the ball downfield in hopes of getting a penalty or a big reception.

If the penalty is less severe for the defense, wouldn't they just commit the infraction more often? Like Richard Sherman said, do it often because the officials won't call it every single time in fear of slowing the game down too much.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
beast on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:59:26 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post

I'm not liking the sound of that... there were a number of years there that the refs were too trigger happen against PI calls (I even remember some non-Packers games (so I wasn't biased in them) and watched the DB get called for PI when it looked like it was the WR doing the PI, not the DB and replay confirmed it... of course the ref might of had a different angle of it than the camera.

Though it might be good the Packers are rumored to be going to a more aggressive defense up front which might help the DBs not need to cover as long... which in theory might help off set this for the Packers DBs.

Also this could help the Packers WRs... Seahawks DBs are some of the most aggressive in getting their hands on someone in the NFL. So more aggressive PIs could throw them off their game some. I remember the "fail mary" game... they were very aggressive and the Packers WR seemed surprised and taken off their game not expecting it and struggling to handle the bump and run and getting open.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 2 applause.
AbbaGav on 7/22/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 10:03:50 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If the penalty is less severe for the defense, wouldn't they just commit the infraction more often? Like Richard Sherman said, do it often because the officials won't call it every single time in fear of slowing the game down too much.

Very good point... and maybe the NFL is getting after them, telling them to get more aggressive because they missed a lot of them and were doing a bad job at calling them... if someone is breaking the rules often and the refs aren't getting after them on the other team wouldn't you get upset?

And the Seahawks have seemed to be able to get more aggressive with their DB and get away with it. Maybe that's how they did it... did it enough that the refs felt like they couldn't call it every time. That or good coaching and hard work... or a mix of al of the above.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 11:50:40 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I'm not liking the sound of that... there were a number of years there that the refs were too trigger happen against PI calls (I even remember some non-Packers games (so I wasn't biased in them) and watched the DB get called for PI when it looked like it was the WR doing the PI, not the DB and replay confirmed it... of course the ref might of had a different angle of it than the camera.

Though it might be good the Packers are rumored to be going to a more aggressive defense up front which might help the DBs not need to cover as long... which in theory might help off set this for the Packers DBs.

Also this could help the Packers WRs... Seahawks DBs are some of the most aggressive in getting their hands on someone in the NFL. So more aggressive PIs could throw them off their game some. I remember the "fail mary" game... they were very aggressive and the Packers WR seemed surprised and taken off their game not expecting it and struggling to handle the bump and run and getting open.

I think we can all agree that with a QB who is obsessed with throwing deep, that this will help our offense far more than it will hurt our defense.

We can probably also all agree that it's bullshit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 12:30:49 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
They call too many as it is.
Let them play!

Word for word that was exactly what I was going to say!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
yooperfan on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 2:55:16 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Ask Vikings fans if our corners get away with too much holding and pass interference. I just alwasy tell them they should draft and develop some cover corners and shitcan that pussy zone crap they play.
UserPostedImage
Offline Tezzy  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 6:40:44 PM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 81

@MikePereira "Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004 and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191."

@MikePereira "NFL says they are offsetting this emphasis with an emphasis on calling offensive pass interference. Not an even trade in my opinion."
On top of every beard grows a man.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:12:29 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Oh man I really hope they don't follow through with this. It's going to make a lot of these games nearly interolable. Come on NFL... I am trying to love you and you keep pushing me away!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
yooperfan on 7/22/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:18:45 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 226
Applause Received: 359

Originally Posted by: Tezzy Go to Quoted Post
@MikePereira "NFL says they are offsetting this emphasis with an emphasis on calling offensive pass interference. Not an even trade in my opinion."

And where the fuck was this during Randy Moss' heyday? I'll believe it when I see it.

Per the topic, I like the college rules where illegal contact isn't even a thing. I hate this we need a touchdown at least every other drive bullshit. Heaving the ball 70 yards down field in the hopes the defensive back breathes too heavily on the receiver isn't exciting. Scoring, in and of itself, is not exciting (ask the NBA); scoring because you actually had to earn the damn touchdown is.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Mucky Tundra on 7/22/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/22/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:27:25 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

If we're gonna slow down the game for penalties, might as well be for legit penalties coming off aggressive defense. Teams that resort to clutching and grabbing all the time will get zeroed out and get called for penalties simply based on reputation and kill their chances of winning. Teams that learn the rules and learn boundaries would be rewarded with turnovers and defensive stops. Bad offensive teams no longer receive a get out of jail card and good offensive teams can build leads that won't evaporate in 5 minutes. Everybody wins.

PS Fuck Richard Sherman. Can't wait to watch Jordy tune his bloated, steroid ass up on the opener.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:56:13 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

If we're gonna slow down the game for penalties, might as well be for legit penalties coming off aggressive defense. Teams that resort to clutching and grabbing all the time will get zeroed out and get called for penalties simply based on reputation and kill their chances of winning. Teams that learn the rules and learn boundaries would be rewarded with turnovers and defensive stops. Bad offensive teams no longer receive a get out of jail card and good offensive teams can build leads that won't evaporate in 5 minutes. Everybody wins.

PS Fuck Richard Sherman. Can't wait to watch Jordy tune his bloated, steroid ass up on the opener.

More opportunity for officials to determine outcome of games.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:11:57 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
More opportunity for officials to determine outcome of games.

Can't imagine it being any worse than it is now.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:18:26 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Sounds like a great idea. Specially if they make an example out of Dick Sherman in the first game of the year.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:59:01 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
Oh man I really hope they don't follow through with this. It's going to make a lot of these games nearly interolable. Come on NFL... I am trying to love you and you keep pushing me away!

When the games start running 4 hours long and the late games with their higher ad dollar revenue are cut short due to a Washington- Houston snoozer the NFL will rethink and scrap this idea. IIRC they dropped one of their "point of emphasis" campaigns a few years back when i didn't work out the way they had hoped.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline yooperfan  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:31:27 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
When the games start running 4 hours long and the late games with their higher ad dollar revenue are cut short due to a Washington- Houston snoozer the NFL will rethink and scrap this idea. IIRC they dropped one of their "point of emphasis" campaigns a few years back when i didn't work out the way they had hoped.

Between the advertising and the flags the games have become too long already.
Seeing the end of a night game has become a thing of the past for me.

Except for when the Packers are playing of course.
wpr on 7/24/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:02:46 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

And to think, it took until only recently for the tv channels to give NFL games 3 1/2 hours of allotted time after years of lying to themselves the games would be over in 3 hours.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 7/24/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:14:19 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

And to think, it took until only recently for the tv channels to give NFL games 3 1/2 hours of allotted time after years of lying to themselves the games would be over in 3 hours.

Take away all the protection for QB's and WR's and teams will go back to running the ball more often and that'll shorten the game air time.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 7/24/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed