Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 5:16:08 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Received: 141
The number of illegal contact penalties has been dropping from 72 in 2011 to 63 in 2012 to just 38 last season. Apparently the NFL thinks this is bad, therefore, when reading this snippet leaves one to assume the NFL isn't even worried about hiding its bias favoring offense.

"Word came out of the officials' camp in Dallas on Friday that the league is going to put an emphasis on calling more penalties in pass coverage. Former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira tweeted Friday that officials are being asked to call more interference, holding and illegal contact penalties."

How does this effect the Packers and their secondary? Help'em? Hurt'em?
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 6:26:52 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6,156
Applause Received: 1,369
MintBaconDrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
The number of illegal contact penalties has been dropping from 72 in 2011 to 63 in 2012 to just 38 last season. Apparently the NFL thinks this is bad, therefore, when reading this snippet leaves one to assume the NFL isn't even worried about hiding its bias favoring offense.

"Word came out of the officials' camp in Dallas on Friday that the league is going to put an emphasis on calling more penalties in pass coverage. Former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira tweeted Friday that officials are being asked to call more interference, holding and illegal contact penalties."

We've got good corners, or S's should be better.

Goodell's ruining the game. Just another way for officials to determine the outcome of games.
Offline yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 8:15:48 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 1,575
Applause Received: 625
They call too many as it is.
Let them play!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:37:13 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2015Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 575
Applause Received: 709
If they're intent on increasing the number of calls they need to reduce the amount the defense gets penalized for. Make illegal contact and holding 5 yard penalties with no automatic first down and reduce pass interference to 10 yards. As it stands, there's no reason not to just heave-ho the ball downfield in hopes of getting a penalty or a big reception.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/21/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 7/22/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:41:21 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,448
Applause Received: 3,865
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post
If they're intent on increasing the number of calls they need to reduce the amount the defense gets penalized for. Make illegal contact and holding 5 yard penalties with no automatic first down and reduce pass interference to 10 yards. As it stands, there's no reason not to just heave-ho the ball downfield in hopes of getting a penalty or a big reception.

If the penalty is less severe for the defense, wouldn't they just commit the infraction more often? Like Richard Sherman said, do it often because the officials won't call it every single time in fear of slowing the game down too much.
beast on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 9:59:26 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 533
Applause Received: 660
MintBaconDrivel said: Go to Quoted Post

I'm not liking the sound of that... there were a number of years there that the refs were too trigger happen against PI calls (I even remember some non-Packers games (so I wasn't biased in them) and watched the DB get called for PI when it looked like it was the WR doing the PI, not the DB and replay confirmed it... of course the ref might of had a different angle of it than the camera.

Though it might be good the Packers are rumored to be going to a more aggressive defense up front which might help the DBs not need to cover as long... which in theory might help off set this for the Packers DBs.

Also this could help the Packers WRs... Seahawks DBs are some of the most aggressive in getting their hands on someone in the NFL. So more aggressive PIs could throw them off their game some. I remember the "fail mary" game... they were very aggressive and the Packers WR seemed surprised and taken off their game not expecting it and struggling to handle the bump and run and getting open.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
AbbaGav on 7/22/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 10:03:50 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 533
Applause Received: 660
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
If the penalty is less severe for the defense, wouldn't they just commit the infraction more often? Like Richard Sherman said, do it often because the officials won't call it every single time in fear of slowing the game down too much.

Very good point... and maybe the NFL is getting after them, telling them to get more aggressive because they missed a lot of them and were doing a bad job at calling them... if someone is breaking the rules often and the refs aren't getting after them on the other team wouldn't you get upset?

And the Seahawks have seemed to be able to get more aggressive with their DB and get away with it. Maybe that's how they did it... did it enough that the refs felt like they couldn't call it every time. That or good coaching and hard work... or a mix of al of the above.
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 11:50:40 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6,156
Applause Received: 1,369
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not liking the sound of that... there were a number of years there that the refs were too trigger happen against PI calls (I even remember some non-Packers games (so I wasn't biased in them) and watched the DB get called for PI when it looked like it was the WR doing the PI, not the DB and replay confirmed it... of course the ref might of had a different angle of it than the camera.

Though it might be good the Packers are rumored to be going to a more aggressive defense up front which might help the DBs not need to cover as long... which in theory might help off set this for the Packers DBs.

Also this could help the Packers WRs... Seahawks DBs are some of the most aggressive in getting their hands on someone in the NFL. So more aggressive PIs could throw them off their game some. I remember the "fail mary" game... they were very aggressive and the Packers WR seemed surprised and taken off their game not expecting it and struggling to handle the bump and run and getting open.

I think we can all agree that with a QB who is obsessed with throwing deep, that this will help our offense far more than it will hurt our defense.

We can probably also all agree that it's bullshit.
Dexter_Sinister on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 12:30:49 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 328
Applause Received: 721
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
They call too many as it is.
Let them play!

Word for word that was exactly what I was going to say!
yooperfan on 7/21/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 2:55:16 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,049
Applause Received: 2,116
Ask Vikings fans if our corners get away with too much holding and pass interference. I just alwasy tell them they should draft and develop some cover corners and shitcan that pussy zone crap they play.
Rss Feed