Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:00:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

The Green Bay Packers have extended Ted Thompson! Even more years of awesomeness and NFC North domination to come!

Thompson had two years left on his contract prior to this extension.

Packers wrote:
GREEN BAY—Ted Thompson, the architect of the Packers’ current five-year playoff run, will remain the team’s executive vice president and general manager for the long-term future.

Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy, who recently said signing Thompson to a new contract was a priority, announced on Wednesday that Thompson has signed a new, multi-year contract with the team.

“I’m pleased that we were able to enter into this contract extension with Ted,” Murphy said. “His outstanding work has been the key factor in the success that we’ve enjoyed in recent years. I have tremendous respect for Ted, and am confident that we will continue to contend for championships under his leadership.”

Thompson is beginning his 10th season as the team’s football operations boss. Under his and Head Coach Mike McCarthy’s leadership, the Packers won a Super Bowl in the 2010 season and are currently on a three-year run as NFC North Division champions.

lol Ted has a great sense of humor.

Message modified by user Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:13:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
packman82 on 7/30/2014(UTC), macbob on 7/30/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline StoicFire  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:19:03 AM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 54

This is great news! I'm happy to hear that he is feeling great, and is going to continue in Green Bay.
Also, I am curious how long this extension is for. Multi-year extension when he had 2 years remaining must mean he's anticipating sticking around for a good while. Sounds good to me; next comes the McCarthy extension.

From Ted's press conference this afternoon:

"How nuts are you to walk away from this? I want to be here." "I'm a scout. That's what I do, and that's what I enjoy."

"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline StarrMax1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:25:08 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Great Move by The Packer organization!!!!!

Ted's not flashy, doesn't need the limelight, he just goes about the business of delivering Mike and Co. the best talent he and his scouts can find.

Stability at the top is sometimes overlooked.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:38:37 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 361

Pardon my french but FUCK YEAH!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:59:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,235
Applause Received: 1,556

glad it is over. Uncle Teddy will oversee the next GB SB.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:22:54 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

That pounding sound you hear...that's uffda banging his head against the wall. Sorry uffda but you did expect this didn't you.

As far as McCarthy goes, I'm not so sure he gets his before the season is over. He is not in his last year so there is no pressure and it wouldn't surprise me if Ted Thompson waits to see how this season goes. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they announced McCarty's extension tomorrow
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
uffda udfa on 7/30/2014(UTC)
Offline cheeseheads123  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:54:20 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 75
Applause Received: 142

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
That pounding sound you hear...that's uffda banging his head against the wall. Sorry uffda but you did expect this didn't you.

As far as McCarthy goes, I'm not so sure he gets his before the season is over. He is not in his last year so there is no pressure and it wouldn't surprise me if Ted Thompson waits to see how this season goes. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they announced McCarty's extension tomorrow

That sound is music to my ears
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/30/2014(UTC), earthquake on 7/30/2014(UTC), macbob on 7/30/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:53:21 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 158

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

I held out some remote hope that some of the talk that he was burned out and potentially ready to step aside was true, but knew this was the likely outcome.

Of course, I'm disappointed. While others are celebrating the fact we might now win more division titles, I cringe knowing we'll likely never sniff another SB under Aaron. A shame. Just a shame. 3 straight years of playoff failure, two ending in embarrassing fashion. The D is terrible and has been for several years while Ted Thompson pumps high pick after high pick into it. Not sure what he did to earn an extension...the SB honeymoon is long since over but I may be downplaying the idea that many fans were still reveling in the Bart Starr days during the entire 70's and 80's so the one in '10 will likely keep fans placated for a few more decades. Truly bummed.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:00:35 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 361

Man that's a depressing outlook. But yeah... it freaking hard to win the superbowl. But damn I was feeling a lot better after last season ending loss than my Bronco fan friend was after his loss I tell you.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Grabacr  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:10:31 AM(UTC)
Grabacr

Keep up the good work TT! Many more years of good work please Applause
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:55:54 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 172
Applause Received: 128

He must of got tired of reading the Ted Thompson extension thread and decided to sign to end our pain and suffering.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/31/2014(UTC), StarrMax1 on 7/31/2014(UTC), uffda udfa on 7/31/2014(UTC)
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:37:41 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 172
Applause Received: 128

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I held out some remote hope that some of the talk that he was burned out and potentially ready to step aside was true, but knew this was the likely outcome.

Of course, I'm disappointed. While others are celebrating the fact we might now win more division titles, I cringe knowing we'll likely never sniff another SB under Aaron. A shame. Just a shame. 3 straight years of playoff failure, two ending in embarrassing fashion. The D is terrible and has been for several years while Ted Thompson pumps high pick after high pick into it. Not sure what he did to earn an extension...the SB honeymoon is long since over but I may be downplaying the idea that many fans were still reveling in the Bart Starr days during the entire 70's and 80's so the one in '10 will likely keep fans placated for a few more decades. Truly bummed.

Poor us making it to the playoffs every year. I fail to see what fucking team wins it every year and who that GM is who we can replace Ted with him.

"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/31/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:14:29 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
Poor us making it to the playoffs every year. I fail to see what fucking team wins it every year and who that GM is who we can replace Ted with him.

That's the issue... you think Ted Thompson is responsible for why we're in the playoffs every year. It's because we have the best QB in football... the team with the best QB in the NFL SHOULD be in the playoffs EVERY year.

You could say Ted Thompson gets credit because he drafted Aaron, however, he's coasted on that and has completely FAILED to add around him properly especially on D.

It truly amazes me the kudos Ted Thompson gets on the back of Aaron Rodgers. If you're the star employee at your place of business your boss also gets the credit, but you and the others who work with you and anyone who is actually paying attention knows it ain't your boss carrying the place...it's YOU. Aaron is the star employee and Ted Thompson is the boss. Just sad how little some get it.

Aaron goes down and this team can barely hang with the dregs of the NFL. And I do mean barely. Yes, most teams who lose their starting QB aren't anywhere near as good, but we were horrible when he went out... that should clue you in to what a wonderful job Ted Thompson has done building this team. Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Online DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:43:43 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,405

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Aaron goes down and this team can barely hang with the dregs of the NFL. And I do mean barely. Yes, most teams who lose their starting QB aren't anywhere near as good, but we were horrible when he went out... that should clue you in to what a wonderful job Ted Thompson has done building this team. Aaron Rodgers covers a multitude of sins.

And Aaron was one hell of a draft pick when you are sitting on a first ballot hall of famer with several good years still in him. But yeah, I'm sure to you, Rodgers just fell in his lap. But he still took him with many defensive needs.
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:26:58 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
And Aaron was one hell of a draft pick when you are sitting on a first ballot hall of famer with several good years still in him. But yeah, I'm sure to you, Rodgers just fell in his lap. But he still took him with many defensive needs.

To say he didn't fall in his lap would be a total mischaracterization of the situation. Go back and look at the ESPN broadcast of that moment. It was not a surprise whatsoever we took him. None. A potential 1st overall falls to 24 and your current QB has been carrying on about retiring. Yeah, that was a real tough call on TT's part. He did make it but let's not get crazy about what happened there.

How this team is going one and done in the playoffs and getting slapped around with the best QB in football 3 years in a row is the question you should be asking instead of lauding a GM for making a no brainer pick and riding him to the playoffs every year. Wow.

This team should be in the NFC Championship EVERY year, at least, not just the playoffs. Just not enough TEAM in Green bay. Just Aaron and a brutal defense that Ted Thompson has spent pick after pick after pick on to improve and it is STILL .... TERRIBLE. Yet, somehow, that is not TT's fault and he bears no responsibility for the playoff exits or the brutal defense. Cherry picking at it's finest. I honestly don't understand this joy over his extension...it's embarrassing, really.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed