uffda udfa
9 years ago

Jordy Nelson was taken just outside of the 1st round(36th overall). It took him until year 4 to really show up as a dominate player. There are countless other examples of similar stories within the packers and around the league. The fact of the matter is, is that it's too early, after 1 season and 1 preseason game, to call Jones a bust.

Justin Harrell was a bust, this is an easy statement to make because hindsight is 20-20. Jones has already shown more in 1 year than Harrell showed his entire career.

We get it, you think maybe he might be a bust, someday. Cool, you're entitled to that opinion, but what purpose does repeating that every other post serve? Nobody misunderstands what you're saying.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I re-state because many think it's insane for me to say it and have stated that in rebuttal.

Jones may have shown more than Harrell but Boyd showed more than Jones and Josh wasn't a world beater last year. It is unnerving to see a 1st rounder get outplayed by a 6th. If Demetri Goodson has a better first year than Ha Ha, that doesn't bode well for Ha Ha.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

earthquake
9 years ago

I re-state because many think it's insane for me to say it and have stated that in rebuttal.

Jones may have shown more than Harrell but Boyd showed more than Jones and Josh wasn't a world beater last year. It is unnerving to see a 1st rounder get outplayed by a 6th. If Demetri Goodson has a better first year than Ha Ha, that doesn't bode well for Ha Ha.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Brady is a better QB than almost every other QB ever and he was taken in the 6th round.

There are many possible scenarios that will play out, Boyd may be better than Jones in the long term, it won't be the first time a late draft pick or UDA is better than a 1st round pick, nor will it be the last. Jones may be better than Boyd in the long term, and both players may be quite good as well. All of these seem about equally plausible to me at this point.

Both could suffer career ending injuries tomorrow, point is, its way too early to tell how either player with fair in the long term.

Again its perfectly fine to speculate or give your opinion, but to go on and on and on like you do about everything is simply nauseating.
blank
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Brady is a better QB than almost every other QB ever and he was taken in the 6th round.

There are many possible scenarios that will play out, Boyd may be better than Jones in the long term, it won't be the first time a late draft pick or UDA is better than a 1st round pick, nor will it be the last. Jones may be better than Boyd in the long term, and both players may be quite good as well. All of these seem about equally plausible to me at this point.

Both could suffer career ending injuries tomorrow, point is, its way too early to tell how either player with fair in the long term.

Again its perfectly fine to speculate or give your opinion, but to go on and on and on like you do about everything is simply nauseating.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Yes, I'm aware of Brady's situation. He wasn't taken 6th when there was a corresponding 1st rounder taken the same year. Had he been it would've been very disappointing their 1st wasn't as good as he was. Yes, Bledsoe was a former 1st...but not the same deal. I said above there is always exceptions to every rule. However, the overwhelming amount of times a 1st will outplay a 6th, and EVERY time you expect a 1st to be better than a 6th...if not, you would've taken the 6th in the 1st.

It may be nauseating to you but, again, I'm ONE poster giving an opinion. ONE. I have to read several that go against what I think and I say nothing about it save for repeating and repositioning and expanding my viewpoint.

Why can't you just say...Hey, you're right, it is disappointing how Datone Jones has impacted the Green Bay Packers up to this point? However, I believe it may take time for him as it often does with DL.

No, you don't do that... the focus is not on your own opinion it is on how wrong mine is. I find that curious. State what you think...I'm really not interested in knowing that you think I'm wrong and nauseating but feel free to keep wasting keystrokes telling me.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
9 years ago
You cant label a player a bust and then say you don't want them cut. As I stated before a BUST is maybe the worst thing you can call a player. It means they have no further value. If you truly feel Datone is a bust, and you don't want him cut, you are promoting a wasted roster spot.
blank
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
My goodness, this is still going?? Look, the player hasn't even been in the league for three years.

http://packershome.com/Draft 
Set it to 2011
And then pick on someone who has had three years to prove/disprove themsevles!!!
UserPostedImage
evad04
9 years ago
Uffda -- I think you have an unhealthy obsession with where a player is drafted. It should make no difference whether a contributor comes from the 1st round, the 7th or is undrafted.

Green Bay will be no better/worse off if, for instance, the top contributors from a given draft class are all guys from rounds 4-7.

As they say in baseball: "He gets on base. Why the hell do I care how?"

Some people continue to hold A.J. Hawk's No. 5 pick status against him because he never blossomed into a superstar. While it's true Hawk is no monster in the middle, he's hardly a chump. He's decent. But because he was picked fifth, he'll forever be a disappointment.

It works the other way, though. Look at a Josh Sitton. Some 134 players went before ol' Joshy, including first-round O-lineman in the NFC North in Detroit's Gosder "I'm Fucking Awful" Cherilus and Chris "Who" Williams.

Can you do a happy dance/heel click for the sub-1st round guys who ended up being studs? Don't we just need good players? Does it really matter where we get them from? Are you unfairly judging a second-year player because of Negative Nancy Syndrone? What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
beast
9 years ago

My goodness, this is still going?? Look, the player hasn't even been in the league for three years.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yup... all of the subjects are still going... I think we (as Packers fans) are restless right now... and don't have much to talk about :(

http://packershome.com/Draft 
Set it to 2011
And then pick on someone who has had three years to prove/disprove themsevles!!!

[hijack] [sarcasm]

Mmm 2011? .. Only real questions I see from that year left are...

1) is Sherrod a bust?

2) Will Ryan Taylor keep making the team?

3) Also I've always wondered why don't we have Taylor backing up TE AND FB? ... I just don't see him being an amazing TE, I thought he might become a pretty good FB.
UserPostedImage
voiceofreason
9 years ago
As far as I am concerned, bust is a dirty word. Even the national media, whose opinions change by the second don't use the B word for years. As far as I can tell Datone is a good kid who had 3.5 sacks his rookie year. Including 2 in one game against the NFC East champion Eagles. I come to this forum to support MY GREEN BAY PACKERS. If I want to bash 21 year old kids ill go to a Vikings forum.
blank
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I will say no Uffda. He's got this year to prove himself. Now if you want to talk about Nick Perry rolling out there with the 3rd team yesterday... now you may have something.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
jlyons043
9 years ago
I don't think Datone is a bust, disappointing yeah but lets see what he does this year. Nick Perry on the other hand... He played with the backups vs TEN on Saturday and went up against the rookie Lewan and still did nothing.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (53m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders