Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 6:37:34 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 357
Applause Received: 440

Rob Demovsky wrote:
Examining the Green Bay Packers' roster:

Quarterbacks (3)

Aaron Rodgers
Matt Flynn
Scott Tolzien

If the Packers are leaning toward keeping only two quarterbacks, then Tolzien might be their guy behind Rodgers. He outplayed Flynn in Saturday's preseason opener at Tennessee. He has the better arm of the two backups, and that was apparent in the torrential rain that fell throughout the game. However, if they dumped Flynn, they would be getting rid of a quarterback that has proven he can win games as a backup in Green Bay.

Disagree with Janis for #5 WR. Guy has done absolutely done nothing in TC due to being out. Meanwhile, Dorsey has gotten reps on ST and we've seen him and Gillett play last Saturday.

Agree with 6 dlineman. Neal looks way too small to log any extensive work on the dline. I hate falling into the "he needs to be X weight" stuff but he doesn't look like he'd last long.

And while we're at it, can we give Bradford reps at ILB?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 6:52:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,471

I wonder if Rob is going to flip flop every week after a preseason game has been played. I doubt 1 bad preseason game carries any more weight than a bad preseason practice.

Like it or not they will start the season with 3 QBs after getting burnt so badly last year with parade of QB they had. The only way they will drop to 2 is if and when they feel that they would be able to pull someone up from the PS and still be competitive.

I do get a kick out Rob having 4 DL last time explaining that both Neal and Peppers count as both OLB and DE. This week he bumps the DL up to 6.

UserPostedImage

Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:14:47 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if Rob is going to flip flop every week after a preseason game has been played. I doubt 1 bad preseason game carries any more weight than a bad preseason practice.

I do get a kick out Rob having 4 DL last time explaining that both Neal and Peppers count as both OLB and DE. This week he bumps the DL up to 6.

He promoted Janis based on practice performances.

He had 5 DL last time, just added Pennel this time.
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:34:13 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
He promoted Janis based on practice performances.

He had 5 DL last time, just added Pennel this time.

You are right. I was sure he only had 4 DL. It is no big deal if Janis or Banjo or Barrington get moved on to the list or off of it next week. None of this counts and only serves to kill time while we wait for the real list to come out on Aug 30th and even then it will be subject to change over the next few days.

UserPostedImage

Offline musccy  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:37:58 AM(UTC)
musccy

You are right. I was sure he only had 4 DL. It is no big deal if Janis or Banjo or Barrington get moved on to the list or off of it next week. None of this counts and only serves to kill time while we wait for the real list to come out on Aug 30th and even then it will be subject to change over the next few days.

Exactly - the guys he's shifting from week to week are guys that probably won't be on the active 46 much of the season anyway...well, at least not until the inevitable 12 hamstring/ACL IRs pop up.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 2:12:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 453
Applause Received: 273

True about injuries having an effect. The fact is, the Packers have a lot of talent - too much to fit into 53 spots. The WR package is still up for grabs after the top 3, maybe top 2. I think we keep six. Same thing with TE - I think we find a way to keep at least five. I second the motion to give Bradford a try at ILB - I'm not satisfied with anybody currently playing the position. I also recognize the dilemma with Neal (the one on D). I really doubt he has a future at OLB, and he's either too small or too slow - depending on whether he is down or up in weight/playing D Line or OLB. I think it's gonna take an injury along the way to somebody else to keep him. I'd really like to see Tolzien kept and Flynn cut, but I concur, it ain't likely after the mess last year. Keeping an extra RB - the other Neal or Perkins - probably can't happen if we keep 3 QBs.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline musccy  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:05:51 PM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I second the motion to give Bradford a try at ILB - I'm not satisfied with anybody currently playing the position. I also recognize the dilemma with Neal (the one on D). I really doubt he has a future at OLB, and he's either too small or too slow - depending on whether he is down or up in weight/playing D Line or OLB.

I third the motion on Bradford. There was a lot of chatter about that on draft day, but they seem to want him outside.

As for Neal, he seems like Kampman in this defense, sort of a square peg in a round hole.

Offline voiceofreason  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 5:52:40 PM(UTC)
voiceofreason

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 33

I don't know about keeping 5 TE this year. Unless they start making plays, I wouldnt waste the roster spots.
blank
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 10:49:09 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Like it or not they will start the season with 3 QBs after getting burnt so badly last year with parade of QB they had. The only way they will drop to 2 is if and when they feel that they would be able to pull someone up from the PS and still be competitive.

They have 3 QBs every year. Rodgers, a backup and one on the PS. Probably be the same this year.

If Rodgers gets hurt, they put in Flynn and move the PS player to the game day roster and start looking for a scrap heap QB. If Flynn goes down, you put in the PS player until you get the scrap heap player up to speed.

Last year wasn't a disaster. It was the way they planned to deal with injuries. No team is going to win a lot of games if they are down to their 3rd QB. It would be an over reaction to change what they do. You can't keep 3 starting quality QBs on a team.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline musccy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:42:30 AM(UTC)
musccy

I'm almost certain flynn isn't eligible for the p.s.
And I think tolzien's eligibility is close to maxed as well. Also, dangling relatively established qbs on a practice squad is risky. I don't know that tolzien would last a season there w/o being picked up.
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:35:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
They have 3 QBs every year. Rodgers, a backup and one on the PS. Probably be the same this year.

If Rodgers gets hurt, they put in Flynn and move the PS player to the game day roster and start looking for a scrap heap QB. If Flynn goes down, you put in the PS player until you get the scrap heap player up to speed.

Last year wasn't a disaster. It was the way they planned to deal with injuries. No team is going to win a lot of games if they are down to their 3rd QB. It would be an over reaction to change what they do. You can't keep 3 starting quality QBs on a team.

If you don't consider a 2-5-1 record a disaster after going 5-2 what would you call it? A success? By the way, I did not use the word "disaster". I said they got burnt which they certainly did. Every QB they used prior to bringing Flynn back burnt them. QB ratings of 70.5,65.7,85.2,51.9 and 69.6 in their losses were hardly encouraging. The 95.6 and 113.1 in the wins was.

Scott Tolzien is a 4 year vet according to the Packer website. This being his 4th year. He is long past the time to be on the PS. GB may well keep only 2 QB. But then they will have to decide between Tolzien and Flynn and let the other walk.

FYI-
Quote:

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

•A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
•If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
•A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
•Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

UserPostedImage

Offline DarkaneRules  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:42:53 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

After the Titans game, I have my eyes on Pennel backing up Raji at the NT position. He's looking like a real solid addition to our squad so far.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Online beast  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:01:13 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 252
Applause Received: 313

I'm sure it's still going to change before the season is here... but if I had to say right now, I'd say cut the 3rd QB, worst LB and add two of the following RB Neal, WR Dorsey, WR Harper, CB Rolle. (maybe think about cutting S Banjo for CB Rolle, maybe...just maybe)

The rest I don't disagree with... not even the Boykins at 3rd WR which I know is seriously bothering some of you Face. Palm.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:27:38 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

If you don't consider a 2-5-1 record a disaster after going 5-2 what would you call it? A success? By the way, I did not use the word "disaster". I said they got burnt which they certainly did. Every QB they used prior to bringing Flynn back burnt them. QB ratings of 70.5,65.7,85.2,51.9 and 69.6 in their losses were hardly encouraging. The 95.6 and 113.1 in the wins was.

Scott Tolzien is a 4 year vet according to the Packer website. This being his 4th year. He is long past the time to be on the PS. GB may well keep only 2 QB. But then they will have to decide between Tolzien and Flynn and let the other walk.

FYI-

I would say name one team that won't have a drop off like that with a 3rd string QB in the line up. It is a disaster that we had the injuries. Who we had for backup QBs isn't what got us burnt.

I know Tolzien is not PS eligible. There is really no reason to keep him. We have a viable 2nd string QB and we need one for development. It is a waste to put a developmental QB on a 53.

Other than being a former Badger, I don't see a lot of upside for Tolzien. They could get as much out of Rettig and he is PS eligible.

The only way a team doesn't have a major drop off when their starting QB goes down is when their starting QB sucks. Like when Cutler got hurt and the Bears actually got better. Having the 3rd QB come in and play and thinking he will be above the average for a starting NFL QB is a pretty unrealistic expectation. They aren't 3rd string because they are the 16th best QBs in the league.

Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:29:21 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I'm almost certain flynn isn't eligible for the p.s.
And I think tolzien's eligibility is close to maxed as well. Also, dangling relatively established qbs on a practice squad is risky. I don't know that tolzien would last a season there w/o being picked up.

Neither is PS eligible.

Rss Feed