uffda udfa
9 years ago

It's no accident that we got Aaron. The reason Mike was hired, was to develop him.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'd say it was an accident... Mike McCarthy wanted Alex Smith over Rodgers at SF, and that's who the Niners went with. I've always wondered about the MM/12 dynamic. Rodgers knows his HC wanted the other guy over him and the Niners were Aaron;s team growing up. Mike McCarthy ruined Rodgers dream of playing for his favorite team and cost him a lot of money in the process. Now, Mike McCarthy didn't make the selection but he was certainly part of it in giving his input that he preferred Smith over Rodgers.

The take away isn't that Mike McCarthy was or wasn't hired to develop Rodgers...it's that we haven't ever even been to a SB game without a superstar QB. We're talking legends of the game here. Starr, Favre and now Rodgers...minus one of those types at QB we're Cleveland. Do you want to waste the window before we go back to being Cleveland on status quo and it's just okay being in the playoffs with a "chance" slim as it is every year? Go for it like the Broncos. I can't respect not going for it. No urgency the last few years and there doesn't appear to be any again. The year we did win it all, that pre-season there was a buzz a mindset that is not present now. Where is it? You need a shakeup if you can't find it and we haven't found it. So, why are we standing pat?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I see urgency. Quite a lot of it in fact. Over the past 2 years, these guys have taken many steps to improve the run game and the defense. It worked with the run game, and this year we will see if it worked with the defense. I see a team coming into its own right now.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
9 years ago

I see urgency. Quite a lot of it in fact. Over the past 2 years, these guys have taken many steps to improve the run game and the defense. It worked with the run game, and this year we will see if it worked with the defense. I see a team coming into its own right now.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I see a team that is routinely decimated by injuries, which cost us the playoffs every year. Hopefully Capers won't shit himself, but more importantly, this team will remain healthy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
This is also true. A healthy lacy/starks and matthews/shields make this team much better.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

You see it? Where? The year we did win it we had guys talking about SB...

And...YOTTO wasn't the only one yapping...there was this feeling this commitment that we were going to go get it. I felt it. Don't know about you. I don't feel it this year. I feel this is a transition year. I don't feel like the team feels like it really is going to win it this year. We had some older guys who careers were running out that really wanted one. We got one for them. Who we winning one for this year? Peppers is the only guy I can see who hasn't had one who is near the end. Is Julius the kind of guy who strikes you as it burns in him to be a world champion? It did in Woodson and Driver...

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
There are many different kinds of leaders.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Here's a fun and informative link for those who think that plucking UDFA's is equal to hitting on 1st rounders... You'll notice just how many guys are in the HOF who weren't taken in Round 1. The majority of your star players,whether HOF worthy, or not, are coming from up high in the draft. It does matter...a lot.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/round.aspx 
UserPostedImage

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Most of the first round picks were picked high. We've been picking past 20. It's easier to hit on a way earlier. Cool link though. Pretty informative. I just hate stats and numbers. I like watching the game and little else.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Most of the first round picks were picked high. We've been picking past 20. It's easier to hit on a way earlier. Cool link though. Pretty informative. I just hate stats and numbers. I like watching the game and little else.

I like it all... it all goes in one big circle for me. [grin1]

It's just not right to say it's "pretty much evens out" that when we miss up high but get some decent UDFA's that everything is fine. This team is eroding due to failed 1st rounders. Perry, Jones, Sherrod... just 3 more guys who look as though they'll add nothing to our franchise. It's a punch to the gut to watch year after year...and like has already been said, when you don't use FA to make up for what you haven't done in the 1st it just compounds your misses.

UserPostedImage

evad04
9 years ago

Here's a fun and informative link for those who think that plucking UDFA's is equal to hitting on 1st rounders... You'll notice just how many guys are in the HOF who weren't taken in Round 1. The majority of your star players,whether HOF worthy, or not, are coming from up high in the draft. It does matter...a lot.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/round.aspx 

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You're taking this "evens out" thing and running with it. And evading my response in the other thread, which is a bummer because it was for you baby.

And which is it -- TT's failure to get offensive guys or defensive guys? It's hard to tell when it's all defensive woes in one thread, then both sides of the ball in another.

In the last 10 drafts (the 11th would include Aaron Rodgers, for what that's worth) the Pack have added the following first-rounders:

A.J. Hawk - Never lived up to No. 5 overall status, but remains a mainstay on the defense.

Justin Harrell - A classic bust, no doubt.

B.J. Raji - A strong contributor in his first few seasons and an important piece in the run to XLV. Has struggled of late and is in a key season to prove his worth.

Clay Matthews - The Claymaker only needs to stay on the field more. At times dominant. There are 31 other teams who'd gladly have his services.

Bryan Bulaga - A starting right tackle on an emerging offensive line. Better fit on the right side, and that's just fine.

Derek Sherrod - It's hard to make a judgment on the pick because of a catastrophic leg injury that set him back two seasons. It's not terribly difficult to make a judgment on the player, who appears to be a career backup unless things dramatically improve.

Nick Perry - Loses battle to injury bug every year. Flashes at times, but hasn't exactly mastered transition from DE to OLB. Not a bust yet, but potentially heading in that direction.

Datone Jones - Has the body type and measurables that would seem to translate to next level. Disappeared at times last season. Will need to make strides in second season to make impact.

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix - By all accounts a guy who plays smart and does most things well without excelling in any category. A rookie. So, ya, needs to play first.

So since we took A-Rod over a decade ago, there's been one guy who we can purely call a first-round bust: Justin Harrell. You could argue Sherrod is knocking on the doorstep and that Perry, barring improvement, is heading in that direction.

You've also got a pair of stalwart starters in A.J. Hawk and Bryan Bulaga. Raji has made his mark but needs to regain his old form. Matthews is a star player, no doubt. Datone and Ha-Ha need more time.

Can you knock it off already with the first-round doom and gloom?

*edit: And I almost forgot about Jordy! We, of course, moved back into the second round to get him -- but he was our No. 1 pick that year. Eat it.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.