Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beast  
#21 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:21:23 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Yes. Go back and see why I was happy. Read what I wrote when I heard not long after he was picked that they were going to use him as an OLB. I was happy because I thought he'd bring some crazy toughness to the middle of the D. I said Bradford would be a major bust at OLB and same for Thornton on DL. Read how I lamented his terrible measurables for OLB. McGinn mentioned those in his piece that every scout but apparently the Packers scouts knew this kid couldn't play OLB at the NFL level. There is a failing and disconnect somewhere. We can't wait to pounce on guys falling down draft boards, but they usually fall for a reason. Not always but most of the time. See Worthy... see Bradford...Bulaga, etc. Before you hammer me for Bulaga, he was touted as a high pick because he was supposed to be a LT, which he is not. A 1st rounder on a right tackle is a waste especially given who we could've added instead. Dez Bryant was sitting there and we took a stiff of a LT in Bryan Bulaga. Dez Bryant is an absolute monster...a true superstar. Bulaga is an adequate RIGHT tackle. Another terrible miss for what we could've done there. I was losing my mind seeing Dez sitting there and we took the guy who couldn't play LT...all the other NFL teams knew he couldn't play it...but not us... we saw that great value and missed out on a superstar. I follow the draft very closely....my favorite event in sports. Ted Thompson ain't as good as you think...especially up high. I love what we do after the draft but during the first rounds unless it's a WR you can usually forget about getting anything of value.

If you recall the Bradford thing, then you must also recall I was happy with Abbrederis and Janis...and Lyerla. Those were the 3 guys I was most excited about.


And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).


But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/24/2014(UTC), earthquake on 8/24/2014(UTC), musccy on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#22 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:39:28 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?




Offline beast  
#23 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:57:11 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Dez Bryant? Didn't the Cowboys have to hire a babysitter to keep him from screwing up his off-the-field life?


I forgot about that... I never did hear the end results but I believe I remember when Skip Bayless was speculating about a physical altercation Bryant got into, sounded like the speculation was the Bryant might of gotten into a physical altercation with his so called "babysitter"... of course it's Skip Bayless and speculation so you can't put too much into that...

But anyways a couple of places seem to have some of the rules set for Bryant

sportsgrid wrote:
• A midnight curfew. If he’s going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can’t attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.


Yeah I'm pretty sure Thompson too cheap to buy all that stuff to follow a player around 24/7 Two Cents
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline musccy  
#24 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:03:24 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Thank you Beast. I didn't recall the specifics, but knew that was the general idea. He was so immature that the organization had to hire someone to protect the athlete from themselves. Ted, what an idiot, he didn't pick that guy and instead "settled" for a guy that should be playing left tackle but is "only" starting at RT.
Offline uffda udfa  
#25 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:15:08 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
And if you followed all teams as closely as you follow the Packers you would know that's true for all teams... they're all pasted over some true studs for some duds... just Packers are more personal so you get more upset about it but the same thing happens all over.

Also there are times when those big hype machines are dead wrong... I remember when Packers fans were PISSED OFF at Ted Thompson because he had a chance to draft the highest ceiling WR in a long time and he traded the pick away... and the pick was used that super hyped player Chad Jackson ... (who completely busted)... and the team "stupidity" just settled for some no named kid from a small school named Greg Jennings.

Sometimes the high potential guys make it... other times they're complete bust and/or aren't worth the headaches they cause such as RB Marshawn Lynch to the Bills (lots of Packers wants wanted him as there was a big need for a RB, but I didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.... same was true when they looked to trade him though it seems like he's gotten better off the field, or at least not caught doing stupid stuff nearly as much).


But all this anger would be true for any team you closely followed, as they're all pasted over studs for bust and some writer comes along and says it was so clear to them... or find stouts (or claim they find scouts) they say it was so clear to them.



Yes...I understand...but... in those cases where GM's miss and miss often up high the DO NOT GET EXTENSIONS!! They get FIRED. We all know as fans our D has been poor for years. Our GM has tried to fix it THROUGH THE DRAFT. How's he done? Can you be honest and objective or do you just have to say he's done well because he's the Packers GM? He's done a horrendous job over the last several years. This defense has not gotten better at all. I can't think of another situation where a team has pumped the resources into one side of the ball with so little in return to see the person responsible get extended for failing. Yes, I know...we're in the playoffs. Thank you, Aaron Rodgers. Ted Thompson gets immunity from his MAJOR failings because he drafted Aaron Rodgers.

It isn't anger... it's just frustrating to the competitor in me sense. I like to be the best. Being very good is failure to me, personally. The best isn't even the goal...perfection is. Give all you have to get there not make excuses about how great it is that you're good and that's okay. You think I'm negative and whatever...but I have a different standard I try to live by and in sports you don't settle for anything but the ultimate which is winning it all. Most of you are comfortable watching the team you follow not do all they can to get there and make excuses for not getting there. I wish to see us go for it and bring in some studs where they should've come up high in the draft. You miss on studs in the draft and you don't use FA then you've doubled down on your losses.

Watching Green Bay is still fun for me because I can still watch the best ever on offense. I just cringe having to watch a pitiful group of defenders that limits this team. It's the anchor around the ankle. Our current leadership has tried and failed several times to fix it. Your enjoyment and my enjoyment have nothing to do with each others. I'm happy that you can find joy sporting your divisional championship gear and bragging to your buddies that your team won the division. I watch in the hopes we win it all...nothing else matters.
Ted Thompson is not a guy who cares and burns to be a world champion...he burns to be above average and that is what we are as a franchise. Give us a a WINNER...someone sold out to win it all and won't accept failure. 3 years in a row we've failed but what you notice is divisional championships. I notice we suck in the playoffs. I notice we have a defense that hasn't gotten any better yet we're committed to the same defensive staff, and GM who can't fix it. Yes, that is frustrating knowing we could be so much better and not be.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline beast  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:34:18 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
It isn't anger... it's just frustrating to the competitor in me


I know we all read things differently... but I read that as, "It isn't anger, it's just anger inside of me"... I'm sure there is a difference between anger and building frustration but they're sort of close... right? .... maybe not I don't know for sure. But I found it interesting.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I like to be the best. Being very good is failure to me, personally. The best isn't even the goal...perfection is.


So you're a perfectionist? That would explain a lot ... Big Grin

I remember I had a class with a perfectionist and he got a 99% on a test... and you could see it just to start bubbling up... more and more to he was just internally outraged and just started talking meanly to the teachers (who was normally one of the most level headed people around) and then it turned to yelling at the teacher... and I thought he was about to get up and hit the teacher or walk out... it was crazy. Please don't go crazy...

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline uffda udfa  
#27 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:49:00 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I know we all read things differently... but I read that as, "It isn't anger, it's just anger inside of me"... I'm sure there is a difference between anger and building frustration but they're sort of close... right? .... maybe not I don't know for sure. But I found it interesting.



So you're a perfectionist? That would explain a lot ... Big Grin

I remember I had a class with a perfectionist and he got a 99% on a test... and you could see it just to start bubbling up... more and more to he was just internally outraged and just started talking meanly to the teachers (who was normally one of the most level headed people around) and then it turned to yelling at the teacher... and I thought he was about to get up and hit the teacher or walk out... it was crazy. Please don't go crazy...



Ha! Yeah, that's me... I'm that guy... 99% is not good enough. It's so funny...I recently took a test...very recently... 97% was my score. I was livid with myself. I was especially angry over the legal interpretation of one of the questions I answered incorrectly. The goal was getting them all right. I didn't handle it well because I'm driven to be the best I can be and I left one on the table there. I didn't take it out on anyone else but me. I'm the one who missed it, nobody else. In fact, now I'm mad all over again. Thanks. :)

One of my favorite quotes is from St. Augustine: "What you are must always displease you, if you would attain to that which you are not."

I can apply the above in a much broader sense... We aren't a world champion football team. I'd like to see us burn to attain "that which we are not". I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline evad04  
#28 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:07:35 PM(UTC)
evad04

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/10/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 140

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post


I can apply the above in a much broader sense... We aren't a world champion football team. I'd like to see us burn to attain "that which we are not". I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it.



Incoming ad hominem attack: You seem like a complete, unrepentant jerk sandwich. You are borderline intolerable, uffda.

I don't know where to start. We're now at the point where Bryan Bulaga was a bust/complete waste of a pick because we could have had Dez "I beat my own mother" Bryant.

We're at the point where a pair of rookies -- before we've even finished preseason, mind you -- are busts. Bradford is struggling. Every one here can see that. Thornton was drafted as a raw talent with a good strength/speed combo, but has been thought of by many to be a developmental player. You throw out "bust" a little casually.

You and I coulda had a debate long ranging in another thread when I addressed Ted's innumerable Round 1 defensive busts (ahem, since 2004 that's Justin Harrell and arguably Nick Perry -- though you've added second-year Datone Jones to that list).

But you didn't respond to any of that, you just rinse and repeat in another thread with the same useless horseshit.

We get it. Trust me, sweet Christ, we get it. You don't EVER need to finish a post with "I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it."

It's like filming yourself kill a horse with a shovel, then continue beating its corpse, then walk toward the camera and say, "I didn't like that horse."
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
thanks Post received 4 applause.
earthquake on 8/24/2014(UTC), DarkaneRules on 8/24/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 8/24/2014(UTC), StarrMax1 on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#29 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:11:24 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320



Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I was especially angry over the legal interpretation of one of the questions I answered incorrectly.


I hate when there are more than one interpretation of questions on test... I remember a World Geography Professor who's test were always kind of weird to take... because you're read the questions on his test and be like I can interpreted this question in multiple ways and get different answers... though normally it was easy to figure out his logic or figure out if you had background knowledge but not everyone had background knowledge nor understood his logic which I'm sure made those test down right horrible for them.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
In fact, now I'm mad all over again. Thanks. :)


You're welcome Sarcasm


And I think Thornton has been one of the best 6 DL currently on the roster.

Bradford... I don't have a clue what's up with him... and seems like he's been a bust so far.


America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/24/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#30 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:31:57 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: evad04 Go to Quoted Post
Incoming ad hominem attack: You seem like a complete, unrepentant jerk sandwich. You are borderline intolerable, uffda.

I don't know where to start. We're now at the point where Bryan Bulaga was a bust/complete waste of a pick because we could have had Dez "I beat my own mother" Bryant.

We're at the point where a pair of rookies -- before we've even finished preseason, mind you -- are busts. Bradford is struggling. Every one here can see that. Thornton was drafted as a raw talent with a good strength/speed combo, but has been thought of by many to be a developmental player. You throw out "bust" a little casually.

You and I coulda had a debate long ranging in another thread when I addressed Ted's innumerable Round 1 defensive busts (ahem, since 2004 that's Justin Harrell and arguably Nick Perry -- though you've added second-year Datone Jones to that list).

But you didn't respond to any of that, you just rinse and repeat in another thread with the same useless horseshit.

We get it. Trust me, sweet Christ, we get it. You don't EVER need to finish a post with "I just don't feel we have the right guy in place to do just that. Just how I view it."

It's like filming yourself kill a horse with a shovel, then continue beating its corpse, then walk toward the camera and say, "I didn't like that horse."


Unrepentant? What do I need to repent for here? I had tears in my eyes at church this AM...is that good enough?

Bob McGinn penned the article stating both Thornton and Bradford don't deserve roster spots. Who can disagree? However, it is just pure gold to me that Ted Thompson said this draft was about "winning now". You're here talking about a 3rd rounder we just flippantly took a flier on as a developmental project. I will go with Ted Thompson that he thought Thornton would be a contributor in our "win now" drafting strategy.

BTW, does Ricky Elmore ring a bell? Did he get labeled a bust and cut right away? Yes. Why is it wrong to label two guys who haven't shown up against deep, deep backups busts? They don't belong on this team. That equates to failed drafting even though I know how dare I say such a thing. Ted Thompson is the best!

Bryan Bulaga was a waste of FIRST round selection. Tell me why he was drafted by us in the 1st round? ... To play...?????... Yup, LEFT tackle, which he was NOT...ever...no how no way. So, he turns into an adequate RT and you chalk that up as a win? Not me. A fail...major fail. I remember the clock ticking on our pick just feeling sick that Ted Thompson would draft "Bustaga" as I called him then. Dez is sitting there. All the talent in the world. Just a special player. Nope...we get the plodder who can't play LT at the NFL level. Yes, disappointed...still.

It is odd that I'm not entitled to my opinion because it's not the vanilla norm that reigns supreme. I also get accused of having no original thoughts...that's my favorite of them all. The irony. The irony.

One day soon, hopefully, we will start anew with a GM and HC combo... ones that better reflect my values instead of the ones that reflect yours. I'm happy for you that you find happiness in contentment for the way things are with your favorite football team. I'm a little envious quite honestly. I wish I could find some kind of joy in watching this team underachieve with the best of all time under center. I can not.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
6 Pages<12345>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gilligan

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool