Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DarkaneRules  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:13:18 PM(UTC)
Worst case scenario he is done for the year. Let's hope for in-season designation for return. In the meantime, the starting center job has now been passed on to rookie Corey Linsley. Not catching many breaks as usual. The question now is who is behind Linsley and what does that do for the rest of the line?
uffda udfa  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:17:34 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Worst case scenario he is done for the year. Let's hope for in-season designation for return. In the meantime, the starting center job has now been passed on to rookie Corey Linsley. Not catching many breaks as usual. The question now is who is behind Linsley and what does that do for the rest of the line?

Drafting Linsley was about winning now... so I'm sure we'll be just fine.

At least we have the excuses now about why we're not going to accomplish much this season.

steveishere  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:18:47 PM(UTC)
That sucks, Tretter was looking legit
uffda udfa  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:21:53 PM(UTC)
Gotta love this Mike McCarthy quote:

"JC was injured on the first series. Played 49 snaps, and once the No. 1s went out, it started bothering him."

---Injured during the first series, but wound up play FORTY NINE snaps most of them on an injured knee????
beast  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:23:49 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post
Gotta love this Mike McCarthy quote:

"JC was injured on the first series. Played 49 snaps, and once the No. 1s went out, it started bothering him."

---Injured during the first series, but wound up play FORTY NINE snaps most of them on an injured knee????

adrenal man... when it gets going, it hides pain for a while... as your sig says, "It's one heckuva drug."
uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:25:34 PM(UTC)
It'll be interesting seeing how a guy who hasn't snapped a ball to Aaron in an NFL fake game adjusts to snapping one in the noise of Seattle. Welcome to the NFL, Corey.
DarkaneRules  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:25:55 PM(UTC)
Knees are tricky bastards.
porky88  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:23:18 PM(UTC)
The injuries just never end.

DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:26:13 PM(UTC)
They really don't. You hate to see them happen to anyone no matter what team they are on (at least I do). But we really do seem to have such shitty luck. It's always like hey this guy is really coming along and looking great. Coach then says we value this player a lot as a member of our team. Cue this player suffering a season ending injury.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:27:19 PM(UTC)
Supposedly Tretter was looking good; They said Linsley as doing OK too. I think that's in part because the Packers don't ask very much of their Centers. I think Gerhart is still around. Anybody know if he is any good?

This injury is unfortunate and a LOT worse for the team than the previous day news. Just the same, things could be a lot worse. We really haven't been hit too hard yet by injuries. Hopefully things won't get worse.
earthquake  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:30:56 PM(UTC)
If this keeps him out for an extended period of time I think this is even worse news than Raji's injury. At least there is some depth on the dline, but with Barclays injury the oline is seriously thin.
steveishere  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:34:46 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Supposedly Tretter was looking good; They said Linsley as doing OK too. I think that's in part because the Packers don't ask very much of their Centers. I think Gerhart is still around. Anybody know if he is any good?

This injury is unfortunate and a LOT worse for the team than the previous day news. Just the same, things could be a lot worse. We really haven't been hit too hard yet by injuries. Hopefully things won't get worse.

Well blocking wise we've got one of the best G combos in the league so they don't usually need much help from the C so he can freelance a bit where he's needed I guess. Tretter is physically about perfect for a C strong, quick, agile, good length, and very smart he just hasn't proven to be a football player yet. Linsley is a little less physically impressive but he's probably the strongest guy on the team and supposedly understands the offense. He has also played well so far this preseason but against lesser competition than Tretter had faced. Gerhart is just a tryhard like EDS but not as good though he probably knows the offense pretty well by now at least. It's still a bummer but yeah it's probably better than losing one of our other starting lineman.
DarkaneRules  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:39:07 PM(UTC)
Absolutely agree Steve. That's why if Corey goes down I worry about the musical chairs starting back up again. The coaches have faith, so I will reserve judgement until a few games into the season. If he struggles in Seattle, I will understand. That is a tough place for anyone to play, much less a rookie center. he's got two weeks inside the Hudson Center with ARod where they have been working the Seattle gameplan.
beast  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:40:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
I think Gerhart is still around. Anybody know if he is any good?

Linsley pasted Gerhart on the depth chart in like less than a week of showing up...

Okay I don't know if that's true or not but it felt like it... so I'm thinking he's not that good.

I remember reading Jordan McCray was working at the 4th Center with the 4th QB. Sound like he hasn't played the position before but was taking to it quickly. Wonder if he might be good enough for back-up Center... or not.

Anyways I've been rooting for him, he's from Sitton's college... and about Sitton's size... that's about all I know about him [grin1]

He has a twin brother... who's with the Titans and the Packers were also looking at.
Gilligan  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:50:44 PM(UTC)
Agree with steveishere & DarkaneRules

Linsley is the guy. He was drafted specifically for this purpose.

If Tretter gets IR'd (for return or otherwise), I'd expect Gerhard to get promoted to backup.
If Tretter is not IR'd, then we go with 7 OL and if Linsley is hurt mid-game, we move Lang to C and cross our fingers.

For Linsley, he'll have an All Pro guard to his left and a legit Pro Bowl caliber guard to his right.
Lang & Sitton are as good of a guard tandem in the league when healthy, should make playing center easier.
earthquake  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:52:37 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:52:54 PM(UTC)
Reports are no ligament damage for Tretter...back in 4-6 weeks. He may miss only 2-3 games if this is accurate.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde · 15m
#NFL source says @JCTretter did not suffer ligament damage in the knee, which would have made it 6-10 week injury. Instead, 5-6 weeks.
beast  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:56:11 PM(UTC)

Yeaaa.. we might have the #1 OL unit for part of the season after all Lets Box!

Just need to make it to the playoffs, and then a hot run in the playoffs.
uffda udfa  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:59:36 PM(UTC)
I'm going to spin this one positively...

What if Linsley plays extremely well for the first few weeks of the season? Do you dare go back to Tretter if the team is 3-0?

This could work out extremely well IF Linsley can play. I'd leave Linsley at C and make Tretter, with his versatility, the top backup on the line... the Don Barclay role, if you will.

The counter argument is...you can't have a guy lose his job to injury. I think you can IF the guy who replaces you is a stud. Hoping Linsley is a stud and we backdoor a great situation on the line with Tretter becoming our Barclay.
earthquake  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:05:53 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to spin this one positively...

What if Linsley plays extremely well for the first few weeks of the season? Do you dare go back to Tretter if the team is 3-0?

This could work out extremely well IF Linsley can play. I'd leave Linsley at C and make Tretter, with his versatility, the top backup on the line... the Don Barclay role, if you will.

The counter argument is...you can't have a guy lose his job to injury. I think you can IF the guy who replaces you is a stud. Hoping Linsley is a stud and we backdoor a great situation on the line with Tretter becoming our Barclay.

If Linsley comes in and plays lights out I think you leave him in there, its not like Tretter is an established starter, and it might take a bit for Tretter to get back in playing shape after he has recovered from the injury.
Rss Feed