Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
10 Pages123>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 11/13/2019 2:16:46 PM(UTC) Smokey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:22:52 AM(UTC)
Many of the best cooks are men. I'm very proud of a nephew that is a Head Chief in a very nice restaurant. This thread is here to show off the talent I'm sure is is here. Share that chili recipe, post that picture of the barbecue you impressed everyone with, show off your baking skills (most of us love fresh bread). I'm a crockpot guy myself. I just love to turn out a slow cooked Beef Stew or a pot of pork & onion seasoned Black Eyed peas . Tell us your great soup recipe or how you make that special spaghetti sauce. Got a great baked bean idea, share it with us. Thanks !
Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:24:29 AM(UTC)
*** thread moved from The Back Alley to Random Babble ***

I think this topic is safe Smokey lol
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:29:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
*** thread moved from The Back Alley to Random Babble ***

I think this topic is safe Smokey lol

I posted where I did to expand this forum posting's. Not getting done any other way . Lets Box!
Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:42:07 AM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
I posted where I did to expand this forum posting's. Not getting done any other way . Lets Box!

We do not want or need The Back Alley expanded to lol ... it is Packers section that we need expanded. [grin1]

Moving onward to your topic. I will attach a picture of me making cookies with my girls. haha.
Zero2Cool attached the following image(s):
20140913_190910.jpg (81kb) downloaded 74 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
wpr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:15:45 AM(UTC)
I am working on a few items that my Dad use to make and I was too stupid to learn from him.
He sauteed mushrooms.
Loved his chicken cacciatore. Chili.

He would show me how he browned the hamburger meat or how much and what kind of wine he put int he mushrooms and I was always, "That looks great Dad. I will learn more later." [suicide]

If I could do anything over again these kind of moments would be high on my list.

So I try different things but don't come close. I ask Mom but she memory is shot on the little details like this.

I may well have it 100% right but it tasted better when it was Dad doing the cooking not me.

I tell my wife to get together with her Mom and get these things down. I doubt we have more than 5 years.
Wade  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 3:41:27 PM(UTC)
Well, I recently found a colleague who raises lamb, and so next week am getting a whole lamb butchered (trying to figure out what cuts to get this weekend).

And so I'm hoping to grill/cook a bit of a meal for some friends for some upcoming Packer game...maybe fall break (panthers, argh) ... haven't had time to do the Wade-goes-overboard-cooking in ages ... yet-to-be-narrowed-down list:

Bloody Marys and Marias.
Leinenkugel's (the original).
Grilled baby lamb chops (rosemary and mint marinade).
Grilled jumbo shrimp (Grand Marnier and orange marinade, wrapped in bacon).
Grilled venison tenderloin medallions (strawberry/balsamic glaze, medium-rare to rare).
Grilled chicken drumsticks (poultry seasoning ratcheted up with sage and peri-peri spice)
Eight-cheese mac-n-cheese (Sharp cheddar, Extra sharp cheddar, Fontina, Muenster/Provolone, Pepperjack, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Maytag Blue)
Fire-and-ice four-meat chili
Cajun corn-on-the-cob (1" chunks, cooked in Zatarain's shrimp boil).
Grilled beans, potato and onion cubes (thyme and garlic marinade)
Halved cherry tomatoes with feta cheese, basil, and green onions.
Bousin-stuffed mushrooms, sautéed in garlic butter.
Smoked-salmon-and-cream-cheese stuffed celery.
Toasted baguette slices with seriously-spicy hummus.
Boiled quail eggs with devilish flying fish mayo.
No-apple, no-orange, fruit salad.
Fresh baked mini-ciabbata rolls (okay, I cheat here, get them in a bag at Walmart).

Actually, I look at this, and except for the mac/cheese and the stuffed mushrooms, this is all surprisingly healthy stuff. Plus I always eat far less when I cook, isn't that weird?

Hmm....who should I invite?

[grin1]

#7 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 3:48:55 PM(UTC)
Wade , nobody knows where you're located. Let's start there !
Wade  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 4:02:24 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I am working on a few items that my Dad use to make and I was too stupid to learn from him.
He sauteed mushrooms.

He would show me how he browned the hamburger meat or how much and what kind of wine he put int he mushrooms and I was always, "That looks great Dad. I will learn more later." [suicide]

If I could do anything over again these kind of moments would be high on my list.

So I try different things but don't come close. I ask Mom but she memory is shot on the little details like this.

I may well have it 100% right but it tasted better when it was Dad doing the cooking not me.

I tell my wife to get together with her Mom and get these things down. I doubt we have more than 5 years.

I have several rules of thumb for cooking which tend to serve me very well:
1. Read recipes, but never abide by them. (Recipes are for seeing the ingredients people put together, not sources of measurement criteria.) I used to have a lot of disastrous experiments; but now I just page through recipes a bit, see the combinations, steal them, and experiment away. Not perfect, of course, but the big failures are surprisingly rare.
2. When in doubt, marinade. Even a few minutes with fish, or a half hour with anything else, can do wonders to refine/accent/bring out/etc taste. And meats/most raw veggies, longer is better.
3. Spice early and don't worry about using too much. Too many spices can be a problem (which is why getting the right curry mix, e.g., can be difficult, since any "curry powder" is itself a mixture of spices). But too much of a few -- rarely.
4. Mixing salt and meat is a question of timing. Watch out for too much salt in marinades and rubs. With few exceptions (e.g., prime rib), best time for salt is, surprisingly, neither before putting meat on the heat nor after removing it; it's after the meat has been seared on high heat.
5. Use the whole bottle of wine. Took me a long time to get a wine-based sauce that I like for meat. Then someone told me about the idea of a "reduction". Still no go. But then one day I had some extra complications in other dishes and didn't have time to monitor, taste, re-taste sauce like the food snobs are always doing, so I just added a whole bottle of a nice red, poured in a bunch of chicken/veal stock, added a generous amount of garlic or rosemary or whatever the fresh spice of my impulse was that day. And then left it go on low until most of the liquid was gone. Stirred in a bit of meat drippings at the end, and voila, what I'd been trying for. Makes a mess of the pan, but other than that zero hassle.

Wade  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 4:03:44 PM(UTC)
Wade , nobody knows where you're located. Let's start there !

Hehe...the middle of nowhere, Smokey. (a/k/a as Northeast Iowa, just a few miles south of the Minnehaha border, and maybe 75-90 minutes from LaCrosse.

Wade  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 4:13:50 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
He sauteed mushrooms.

He would show me how he browned the hamburger meat or how much and what kind of wine he put int he mushrooms and I was always, "That looks great Dad. I will learn more later."

I don't know about wine with mushrooms...though it definitely sounds like an idea worth stealing. :)

As for the meat for chili...I don't know what your dad did, obviously, but here's one easy way to get some extra taste. Take about half of whatever dry spices (non-salt) you use, and stir them into the ground/chopped meat beforehand with just a bit (tablespoon or less per pound) of lite olive oil (teaspoon or less if you use a darker oil). And let it sit for 30 minutes or more before you add it to the pot.

Another trick is to never add the meat until it is at or close to room temp. Obviously you never want to leave it out too long, especially with something like chicken, but letting it warm a bit releases something or other and you get more flavor from whatever meat you're using.

#11 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 4:14:05 PM(UTC)
So how was this seasons corn crop ? It's what I think of when I hear Iowa . Great menu Wade, do you ship ?
Gilligan  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 4:17:36 PM(UTC)
Dang Wade, that is very impressive. I salute you sir. ThumpUp

Best that I can do is a few creative things with MRE's.
wpr  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:57:17 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't know about wine with mushrooms...though it definitely sounds like an idea worth stealing. :)

As for the meat for chili...I don't know what your dad did, obviously, but here's one easy way to get some extra taste. Take about half of whatever dry spices (non-salt) you use, and stir them into the ground/chopped meat beforehand with just a bit (tablespoon or less per pound) of lite olive oil (teaspoon or less if you use a darker oil). And let it sit for 30 minutes or more before you add it to the pot.

Another trick is to never add the meat until it is at or close to room temp. Obviously you never want to leave it out too long, especially with something like chicken, but letting it warm a bit releases something or other and you get more flavor from whatever meat you're using.

thanks for the tips. I do some of this but not on a consistent basis.
wpr  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 7:00:15 PM(UTC)
Gilligan said: Go to Quoted Post
Dang Wade, that is very impressive. I salute you sir. ThumpUp

Best that I can do is a few creative things with MRE's.

Wade is incredible. He could make a gourmet meal with MREs.

Did you ever see the M*A*S*H episode with the soldier who wanted to be a chief? Wade is his master.
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:50:14 AM(UTC)
I really like good pasta dishes. Fettuccine Alfredo, Beef Stroganoff, Macaroni & Cheese, Baked Lasagna, etc. Rice or potato dishes run a close second.

What many of us need however are some good vegetable dishes. A succotash(corn, diced tomatoes, & butter beans) , or maybe String Beans seasoned with pork , or a nice pot of Collard Greens . Maybe Corn Cornbread(made with creamed corn) , a real treat served hot with real Butter.

And never forget to make that Ice-Tea well ahead of time so it can get cold in the Refrigerator. ThumpUp
wpr  
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:41:38 AM(UTC)
I really like good pasta dishes. Fettuccine Alfredo, Beef Stroganoff, Macaroni & Cheese, Baked Lasagna, etc. Rice or potato dishes run a close second.

What many of us need however are some good vegetable dishes. A succotash(corn, diced tomatoes, & butter beans) , or maybe String Beans seasoned with pork , or a nice pot of Collard Greens . Maybe Corn Cornbread(made with creamed corn) , a real treat served hot with real Butter.

And never forget to make that Ice-Tea well ahead of time so it can get cold in the Refrigerator. ThumpUp

yep, you are from the South. I suppose you make your tea the disgusting way and put sugar in it. [puke]
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 8:53:40 AM(UTC)
I've not spoken against anything Northern, Southwestern, Gulf Coast, West Coast, Northwestern, or anyplace else. Do you hold some unlike for Southern States. Many people drink Iced Tea sweetened and unsweetened, it's an individual preference. I've never tried cheese curds or crawdads but I don't need to talk it down. You will find the same McDonalds, and Wal Marts, and J.C Penneys that one would find in Wisconsin, New York, Florida, or California, in the Southern States as well. I've enjoyed regional dishes and felt privileged to do so. I would not think of turning down well prepared Northern Pike (that I've never tried) any more than I'd turn down a plate of E.Carolina Bar-b-que . I don't care for garden peas, but I won't criticize someone that does. Lets Box!
wpr  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM(UTC)
Pull back the 38th parallel please. Bless your heart.

My wife's family is from TN. I tell my wife that she may have been born in Chicago but she is TN through and through. My MIL is a great cook. I recognize the dishes you mentioned as being favorites in the South. That is all. I have a brother in SC and another in TN. One who lived in GA for awhile. My SIL is in AL.

All I said is sweet tea is a Southern favorite that I don't like. It is so popular that it has taken the North by storm too. Just like I don't care for instant tea either. Brewed or Sun Tea for me please.

We are heading back to TN for a visit over Thanksgiving. We will eat for a while and then some. Last time we were there we had lunch with one of my wife's Aunts/Uncles. He was a minister in a small church and one of the lady's from the congregation made a deep dish apple pie in a cast iron pot. MAN!!!!! That woman can bake. There was no a single diet substitute in that pie. The butter would just about plug your arteries just by looking at it. I wished I could have had seconds but there was not enough for that after he gave everyone a little piece.
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 1:08:48 PM(UTC)
Instant Tea never came to mind. Your unclear post sounded like you thought Tea disgusting and sugar was just piling on. Too many people post their intolerance along with their low IQ. Sorry I misunderstood your post.

Got a good chili recipe ? [grin1]
Mucky Tundra  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 1:20:11 PM(UTC)
Sweet Tea? Utterly disgusting! ThumbDown

wpr, where do the inlaws live in TN? (Just curious, you mentioned in the Moar Randomness thread they live somewhere near Paris)

Rss Feed