Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
10 Pages«<678910>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#141 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:07:22 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Hey hardrocker! Read this thread to my wife. She wants to know, if we have any pressure cooker advise, can we ask you?
And any recipe ideas of things you have cooked?
She bought me an Irish cookbook, and wants me too try some of the recipes.

IMO, the easiest Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker meal , and one of my favorites , is a good ole Beef Stew. A beautiful cut of beef surrounded by potatoes , onions , carrots and even maybe mushrooms .

I hope that you and All enjoy a Delicious Thanksgiving . BigGrin
Smokey  
#142 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:11:55 AM(UTC)
I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

Cheers!
Cheesey  
#143 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:11:25 PM(UTC)
I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!
Smokey  
#144 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:20:41 AM(UTC)
I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!

Sounds great, except I'm not partial to green peas. I would substitute Green Beans or Baby Lima Beans instead.

I've yet to fix one of my personal Winter favorites, Slow Cooked Beef Stew. Dinty Moore does not even come close to it. Perhaps I can make it next week.

ThumpUp
Cheesey  
#145 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 11:55:29 AM(UTC)
Yeah, it's hard to beat made from scratch!
One of these days I'm going to try to make beef stew in my pressure cooker. The darn thing is so versatile .
yooperfan  
#146 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:46:07 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

Cheers!

Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Smokey  
#147 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:33:13 PM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Provided that your pot is not cracked or thoughtlessly drilled with holes for use as a large flowerpot, there is a good chance that your pot can be rehabilitated. Most larger pots have 3 short legs that are cast as part of the pot. I hope they are in good condition.

Next, if your pot was stored in a basement (or anywhere else), rust will be the prime concern. If the thickness of the pot is still in good shape, removing just the rust is the largest concern. Get in touch with a trusted hardware store veteran or perhaps an experienced retailer like say Southern States for safe rust removal products/procedures.

Following the rust removal, you will want to thoroughly clean and dry your pot. At this point your pot will need to be oiled/greased, covered, and allowed to stand as the pores absorb the oil/grease. I personally prefer to coat the inside of the pot with Crisco from a can. It spreads like grease and can be applied in thin or thick amounts. I always store our family pot in this way and closed inside of an extra-large plastic bag.

Smokey  
#148 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:37:49 AM(UTC)
For one reason or another, some of us don't get to enjoy those same meals we grew up with.
The wonderful casseroles, country cooked vegetables, boiled or broiled meats.

One of my favorites was also simple to prepare, I refer to a pot of Cabbage/Ham/ and Potatoes. Along with fresh hot biscuits, always a winning combination.

What are you cooking ?
yooperfan  
#149 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:31:39 AM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Provided that your pot is not cracked or thoughtlessly drilled with holes for use as a large flowerpot, there is a good chance that your pot can be rehabilitated. Most larger pots have 3 short legs that are cast as part of the pot. I hope they are in good condition.

Next, if your pot was stored in a basement (or anywhere else), rust will be the prime concern. If the thickness of the pot is still in good shape, removing just the rust is the largest concern. Get in touch with a trusted hardware store veteran or perhaps an experienced retailer like say Southern States for safe rust removal products/procedures.

Following the rust removal, you will want to thoroughly clean and dry your pot. At this point your pot will need to be oiled/greased, covered, and allowed to stand as the pores absorb the oil/grease. I personally prefer to coat the inside of the pot with Crisco from a can. It spreads like grease and can be applied in thin or thick amounts. I always store our family pot in this way and closed inside of an extra-large plastic bag.

Thanks Smokey!
The good news is it had no rust, it just looks extremely dried out.
I will follow your recommendation with the Crisco, unfortunately there is no cover for it.

Smokey  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:13:36 PM(UTC)
yooperfan, I'm pleased to hear that your pot is in good shape. As I said before, following a careful cleaning, dry and grease the inside areas of your pot and store with a plastic leaf or garbage bag to cover the pot during storage.

As far as a lid is concerned, our family's 10 gal pot needs one as well. I'm currently looking online and speaking to sheet metal shops locally to determine weather to go with Aluminum or Stainless Steel. Prices range from $35 to $100 so far. We already have an Oak stir paddle that's the size of a canoe paddle that our Father made over 40 years ago.

I'd like to know how big your pot is and if you have plans to put it to use in the near future. We are already planning to make Brunswick Stew again this next fall. My brother wants to move away from a wood fire to a propane one this time. Cool
Smokey  
#151 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:30:52 AM(UTC)
Hello Friends,

The end of winter draws closer, but spring is not in sight just yet. Many of you are making Soups and Stews and Chili that the rest of us would love to sample. I'll be making something in a pot this weekend,
but I will choose at the store when I see what appeals to my eye and palate. Perhaps a hunk of ham with cabbage/potatoes/and carrots. Maybe a large chicken boiled and picked clean and some Mac & Cheese. Homemade Beef Stew is always a winning favorite in my home.

WHAT ARE YOU COOKING ? BigGrin
Smokey  
#152 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 3:31:11 PM(UTC)
This Saturday (March 17th) will be St. Patrick's Day. Along with wearing green and drinking a lot of beer, many enjoy a traditional meal. I will be enjoying mine at a local restaurant.

Corned Beef with Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots is a favorite that I always look forward to. I've also prepared this meal in my own home with a large Slow Cooker. IMO, slow cooking a corned beef brisket is the best method as it yields meat that melts in your mouth.

Happy St. Patrick's Day !
Cheesey  
#153 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 3:41:41 PM(UTC)
I already cooked my corn beef and cabbage. It only takes 50 minutes of cooking time in my pressure cooker as compared to 12 hours for the same results in a slow cooker.
And it’s SOOOO GOOD!!!
Smokey  
#154 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 5:03:11 PM(UTC)
I already cooked my corn beef and cabbage. It only takes 50 minutes of cooking time in my pressure cooker as compared to 12 hours for the same results in a slow cooker.
And it’s SOOOO GOOD!!!

I'm not equipped, but perhaps you could share a photo some time of what a real feast looks like. Rock On
Smokey  
#155 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:52:43 AM(UTC)
Spring is here !

The weather is right for relaxing on those Decks and/or Patios. For many that means grilling season is here again. I'd like to suggest a few of my grill favorites.
Grilled fresh Tuna
Bar-B-Que Chicken
Foil wrapped Shish Kabobs
Honey Grilled Pork Chops

Great Sides:
Pasta Salad
Baked Beans
Cubed Watermellon
Hush Puppies
Cole Slaw
Green Garden Salad

Cheers!
Smokey  
#156 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 8:40:05 PM(UTC)
Fall is Football Season.

Lets talk a little about those Sunday football meals. Many will just let their wife or some other handle it.
However with a little pre-planning, you could make your Sunday even more special.

I like to plan ahead of time, buy the supplies needed, then I can enjoy my football games with my favorite foods. My Sunday menu this week includes the following:

Pulled Pork Bar-B-Que
Fresh Cole Slaw
Seasoned Baked Beans
Lays Potato Chips
Hamburger Rolls (for BBQ Sandwiches)
Ice Cold Miller High Life Beer (my favorite)
and for latter on Sunday night
Orange or Lime Sherbert

Whatever your having, have a great Sunday football meal !
Cheesey  
#157 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:40:59 AM(UTC)
I’m usually too nervous to eat during Packer games. Usually will just munch some kind of snack. Maybe chips or popcorn.
I eat after the game is over.
Last night I made some tenderloin, (our local Sentry store had it on sale for $6.77 a pound, plus 17% off of that! Can hardly buy good hamburger for that!) made it under my toaster oven broiler. And mashed taters and sweet corn. Yum!
I’m the cook in the family (my wife can cook, but she knows I really enjoy cooking so she lets me do it).
With what you are preparing for a game meal, I wish I could come over and dig into what you are cooking! Of course after a season of that, I’d weigh 300 pounds!LOL
Smokey  
#158 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 4:45:42 PM(UTC)
IMO, preparing a Sunday meal menu is more than fixing loads of food. As much as I look forward to enjoying football with with my favorite foods, storing the leftovers for another meal or two also plays a role in such a Sunday menu.

For me, small portions over the course of the entire Sunday as the games progress is the way to go. Loading up with one huge meal is sometimes the order of the day (Thanksgiving, Christmas, or if invited to dine at someone else's home), but for me at my home a BBQ sandwich with coleslaw on it may be all I'll eat during the first half of the 1st Sunday game and I'll drink my beers along through the day. By the middle of the 3rd qtr I may be ready to enjoy a small bowl of the Baked Beans and a handful of the Potato chips. By the end of the day/evening what food I've got leftover goes into the refrigerator next to the remaining coleslaw to be enjoyed as a future lunch or dinner. I have to live on a budget, and with that comes the need to not waste anything if it can be helped.

I'm already thinking ahead to week 3, I may go with a slow cooked Beef Stew (loaded with Potatoes,Carrots, & Onions) or Roast Chicken (prepared by my local grocery store) or I may go with Taco Salad Day (seasoned hamburger, chips, & loads of fixings). Of course there is always the not to be left out apple or peach or orange or etc. to help maintain a proper diet.

All this may sound like a ton of food, but if carefully planned, Sundays special fare can still be special for lunch on Wednesday too. Now if you will pardon me, there is a cold beer in my refrigerator that needs my personal attention. BigGrin
Smokey  
#159 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:44:55 PM(UTC)
As the week 3 Sunday games approach, again I find myself pondering what game day treats I will wish to enjoy. Last weeks BBQ was fabulous, but I'd like to go in a different direction this week. Any friendly suggestions will be respectfully revued. I am currently thinking of maybe a chicken based casserole or perhaps a chicken based stew.

Cheers!

Smokey  
#160 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:04:34 AM(UTC)
Chicken yes, but not a stew or casserole. My Week 3 Sunday menu will consist of the following:

Roast Chicken (a whole one prepared by my local grocer)
Hoagie Rolls
Provolone Cheese (sliced)
Lettuce,Tomato, & the full complement of desired Condiments
Potato Salad (from my grocer)
Pretzels & Cheddar Cheese Cubes
Ice Cold Miller High Life Beer

Enjoy your Sunday .
Rss Feed